Jordan Staal is NOT that good

Status
Not open for further replies.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
People are seriously talking about taking this kid 1st Overall. There's no way in hell I would even consider him at 1st overall. Sure he has nice bloodlines and sure his older brothers took big steps in their development soon after they were drafted, but this kid just isn't that good. He's a fine player, but I wouldn't even take him top 5, IMO he'll top out as a 50-60 pt player with a good defensive game.

Some team is going to gamble and really miss with this kid, and wish they picked someone like Backstrom Or Toews.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If he gets 60 points and plays a good 2 way game he would be worth a top 5 pick(although not top 2), i do agree though that i think he is slightly over rated

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
I'm inclined to agree.
Great blood lines and very nice all around skill set... but for the most part he's all potential with much of the actual production still missing.

A nice prospect, and I guy I'd love to have... certainly top 10 but there are 3-4 guys in the draft at least that are clearly better right now and have at least as much apparent raw talent. Personally I'd probably take him around 6-7'th overall.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Blood line is pretty overrated. How many stars have you seen with siblings who just don't quite match up? It happens all the time. The exceptions are few and far between.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
NashisCash said:
People are seriously talking about taking this kid 1st Overall. There's no way in hell I would even consider him at 1st overall. Sure he has nice bloodlines and sure his older brothers took big steps in their development soon after they were drafted, but this kid just isn't that good. He's a fine player, but I wouldn't even take him top 5, IMO he'll top out as a 50-60 pt player with a good defensive game.

Some team is going to gamble and really miss with this kid, and wish they picked someone like Backstrom Or Toews.

I'll listen to the scouts over you...and they strongly disagree.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
CSB rankings are unlike ISS, RedLine or McKeens. While those other scouting services use future potential as a factor, their main focus is on how a certain player is performing in the hear and now. CSB, while looking at the here and now, bases much of their rankings on future potential and that is why a player such as Staal is rated before a Toews or Kessel.

Now in my opinion (if any one really cares :)) Staal certainly has potential but I believe he will be one of those who does not reach what the CSB feels to be his upside. Yes, he is a good skater, uses his size, can handle the puck and has decent hands but, and again in my opinion only, he does not do any of those things in an "elite" manner. He was not as good as his brother at the same age, nor will he be like his brother in the future. What you have here at best is a second line center who will put up 55 - 65 points during his prime.

Towes, Kessel and even Mueller will put up better numbers than those and ought to be taken over Staal.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
KStewart113 said:
I'll listen to the scouts over you...and they strongly disagree.

Listen to whoever you want, I've seen Staal play quite a bit and that is my opinion of him.

Are we going to get an opinion from you :biglaugh:

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Rand said:
I'm inclined to agree.
Great blood lines and very nice all around skill set... but for the most part he's all potential with much of the actual production still missing.

A nice prospect, and I guy I'd love to have... certainly top 10 but there are 3-4 guys in the draft at least that are clearly better right now and have at least as much apparent raw talent. Personally I'd probably take him around 6-7'th overall.
Ding!Ding!Ding! Chad Kilger too, glad I read further seeing the title all I thought of was Gratton. Someone is bond to turn like those two. I like them and would have them on my team. It's that things didn't turn out for them AS PEOPLE SAID it would. ;)

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
NashisCash said:
Listen to whoever you want, I've seen Staal play quite a bit and that is my opinion of him.

Are we going to get an opinion from you :biglaugh:
where is the humour in that post to deserve the lmao smiley?

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
NashisCash said:

I bet you'd change your tune if your team somehow found a way to draft him.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
ReLyT said:
Well which brothers have the most points in the nhl?
For two brothers, that's easy. Wayne and Brent Gretzky. Combined, they had 2,861 points -- although Wayne had 2,857 of them.

For three or more, go with the Sutters. Now there's bloodlines. Their point totals: Brian, 636; Duane, 342; Darryl, 279; Brent,829; Ron, 533; Rich, 315. Total = 2,934

Last edited:

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
ReLyT said:
Well which brothers have the most points in the nhl?

I think its the gretzkys... with over 2000 pts and about 900 goals

The richards brothers should up there too..

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Keep in mind that Staal is a September 1988 birthday. If he was born about a week later, he'd be eligible for next year's draft. He's nearly a year younger than fellow OHL top prospect Bryan Little.

I think very highly of Staal. I think he is definitely a top five player in this draft. He's not as good as older brother Eric, but I think he has the potential to be a solid all-round 70-80 point player. In this year's draft, that may prove to be the best.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Scribe said:
That's easy. Wayne and Keith Gretzky. Combined, they had 2,861 points -- although Wayne had 2,857 of them.
Wayne and Brent. :)

And the Sutter brothers beat them by about a hundred points, but of course there were six of them.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
God Bless Canada said:
Keep in mind that Staal is a September 1988 birthday. If he was born about a week later, he'd be eligible for next year's draft. He's nearly a year younger than fellow OHL top prospect Bryan Little.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I thought the new CBA was changing the draft to go just by birth year. Or was it in the CHL a change like that was made?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I think Staal is a little overrated, still top 5 probably, but I don't consider him better than Mueller personally, they are probably neck and neck, both of them have a potential somewhere between Daymond Langkow and Patrick Marleau I think. Staal has some superb physical tools though and that will likely get him drafted higher than Mueller.

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
Spitfire11 said:
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I thought the new CBA was changing the draft to go just by birth year. Or was it in the CHL a change like that was made?

I think it should stay the way it is right now by the day that training camp starts...

I think its a assurance issue with the NHL, they propably cant afford having 17 year olds in the NHL...

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Ignoring age

NashisCash said:

Staal is one of the youngest players in the draft. You can't look at this years OHL stats for Staal and compare them to players who played in their third CHL season. Well... you can... but Staal's age is a bonus on his side.

Teams arent drafting this 18 year old kid to be an 18 year old kid. They are drafting a 22 year old...

How many teams are going to kick themselves when he puts up 45 goals and 60 assists next year, and leads team Canada at the World Juniors...

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Spitfire11 said:
There were rumours but it didn't happen. Personally I don't understand why . . . They don't want 17 year olds in the NHL maybe?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
trickster said:
. . .
How many teams are going to kick themselves when he puts up 45 goals and 60 assists next year, and leads team Canada at the World Juniors...
Not more than 2 or 3, I would guess. :)

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
nice post, Trickster... though I'm a Pens fan so I'm not really pullin for us to take him, being he's a center, but I definitely see what ya got goin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad