Confirmed with Link: Jordan Samuels-Thomas to BUF for a conditional 7th in 2015 (signed by BUF)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Well JST should be signing with Buffalo as he retweeted at least three tweets today pertaining to his trade to Buffalo.

Doubt he would do that if he wasn't in favour of the deal .

I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy talked with him and asked where he would like to play. Seems the best way to get something for a prospect that won't sign here.

jetkarma*

I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy talked with him and asked where he would like to play. Seems the best way to get something for a prospect that won't sign here.

He tweeted again today , said he was asked if he was the new Buffalo Bills player , then something about getting his sticks and it being awkward , so it appears he is prepared to play for the Sabres organization.

Conditional 7th likely means we get that if he signs with them , but it could be conditional on his year as well . Moves higher if he plays to a certain level(s) . Doubt that though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Doubtful. Kulda, if he even had one, has likily had his buyout and or out clause close already this off-season. Meaning he is committed to KHL next year. And he is NHL UFA next July 1. Making him absolutely worthless.

Apparently some of the buyouts in the KHL are informal things done outside the contract. But whatever the entanglements if the trade of rights is again conditional there is nothing for either side to lose so why not.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Jordan Samuels-Thomas has a signed a one year ELC with the Buffalo Sabres.

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 3m
NEWS: The #Sabres have signed Jordan Samuels-Thomas (@SamuelsThomas19) to a one-year, entry-level contract. Details to follow.

One year ELC is mandated by CBA.

Likely means Jets get Buffalo's 7th rounder next year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Interesting. I thought all ELC's were either 2 or 3 years. 1 year is because of his age?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Interesting. I thought all ELC's were either 2 or 3 years. 1 year is because of his age?

Yup.

Breakdown

(b) Subject to subsection (c) below, the period covered by the SPC for every Rookie,
and the number of years that such Player will be in the Entry Level System and subject to the
compensation limits set out in this Article, shall be as indicated on the chart immediately below,
and during such period, the Player shall be deemed to be a "Group 1 Player":
First SPC Signing Age Period Covered by First SPC
and Years in the Entry Level System
and Subject to Compensation Limits
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25 and older No required number of years, not in the Entry Level
System and not subject to limits on compensation

There you go this is why I love looking these things up. I did not realize that the new CBA said undrafted UFA's past 25 were no longer part of ELC system (exception is if the European was drafted they are part of ELC system until 27, 25-27 is a one year ELC). New knowledge. Old CBA stated every player signing their first contract was subject to ELC system (anything past 24 was one year).

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
There you go this is why I love looking these things up. I did not realize that the new CBA said undrafted UFA's past 25 were no longer part of ELC system (exception is if the European was drafted they are part of ELC system until 27, 25-27 is a one year ELC). New knowledge. Old CBA stated every player signing their first contract was subject to ELC system (anything past 24 was one year).

Good move for them as they needed to do something to compete for European FA's who were already making multi millions, but every NHL team's hands were tied as they could only offer ELCs with maxed out incentives that still didn't match European offers.

Although that's for undrafted free agents correct? What about someone like Pavel Kraskovsky for instance? We hold his rights indefinitely so long as he stays in Russia, but say he decides to come over really late, let's say at 25, can we still offer him a competitive contract right off the bat?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Jordan Samuels-Thomas has a signed a one year ELC with the Buffalo Sabres.

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 3m
NEWS: The #Sabres have signed Jordan Samuels-Thomas (@SamuelsThomas19) to a one-year, entry-level contract. Details to follow.

One year ELC is mandated by CBA.

Likely means Jets get Buffalo's 7th rounder next year.

At least we got something for him.

jetkarma*

Too small.

We play in the Western Conference. There's no way we can compete with a team of shrimps.

Size is great , no doubt , and Maurice mentions it anytime he can it seems , but Chicago isn't big. You prefer it , and try to make sure you have it , but you can win and not be "big"".

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Size is great , no doubt , and Maurice mentions it anytime he can it seems , but Chicago isn't big. You prefer it , and try to make sure you have it , but you can win and not be "big"".

It was jokes bud.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Good move for them as they needed to do something to compete for European FA's who were already making multi millions, but every NHL team's hands were tied as they could only offer ELCs with maxed out incentives that still didn't match European offers.

Although that's for undrafted free agents correct? What about someone like Pavel Kraskovsky for instance? We hold his rights indefinitely so long as he stays in Russia, but say he decides to come over really late, let's say at 25, can we still offer him a competitive contract right off the bat?

As a drafted European Kraskovsky is subject to the ELC rules until 27 years old.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
reading from Buffalo that the conditional pick may pertain to games played, and not signing as assumed earlier. That's a pretty good trade for Buf then.

jetkarma*

It could be a 7th if signed ( yes ) and progress to a better /higher pick if a certain amount of games are played or other criteria met. I expect the least after him signing is a 7th , possibly more.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
Meh. Still better than us watching him walk out the door.

Can someone please tell me something about this guy I don't know much about him.Did he say that he would not play for the jets ever.It seems like that's what everyone is saying.He is a pretty big body probably could have been a good power forward.He kind of reminds me of Georges Laraque.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Can someone please tell me something about this guy I don't know much about him.Did he say that he would not play for the jets ever.It seems like that's what everyone is saying.He is a pretty big body probably could have been a good power forward.He kind of reminds me of Georges Laraque.

He didn't say as much, but he did change schools partway through his NCAA career to be closer to home, so that's the likely scenario here.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Doesn't sound like he was ever interested in signing here.

“I never really was in Winnipeg. I’m an Atlanta draft pick. I’ve been in college four years,” Samuels-Thomas told Bill Hoppe of the Olean Times Herald. “In college, I really developed that kind of heavy style of play, just being a power forward, being hard to move off the puck and winning battles.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad