Kings News: Jordan Nolan contract done. 2 years @ $700k/yr

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The Kings are hideous on the lw, no one is disputing that. But I don't think we are so hideous that Carcillo would ever sniff that spot. Sutter does like to stick awful offensive players with Carter and Richards (Penner, King, Clifford, Lewis), but I think a lot of guys would have to fail for that to ever happen.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
First the team picks up Frattin and he was 2nd line LW. His 9 goals and 8 assits in the AHL should really help the team. He could not even make the leafs. His tunnel vision will also help this line.

Second the team picks up Carcillo and now he is 2nd line LW, his 4 goals and 10 assist for the past two years should really help the team. Lets me guess and say he he will make room for Carter and Richards... thats because he will be in the penality box. Both are 3rd and 4h line players.

I think the plan is still to move Toffoli to LW2 and hope he can make the switch as he is more talented than Frattin and Frattin is actually a RW as well. Slotting Frattin in at RW3 allows Lewis to be moved to C4, instantly making the 4th line better by dropping Fraser. The 4th line will now consist entirely of guys with solid size and speed.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think the plan is still to move Toffoli to LW2 and hope he can make the switch as he is more talented than Frattin and Frattin is actually a RW as well. Slotting Frattin in at RW3 allows Lewis to be moved to C4, instantly making the 4th line better by dropping Fraser. The 4th line will now consist entirely of guys with solid size and speed.

I was thinking along these lines as well as people are trying to determine which forward will be the odd man out. If we break the team down by position, and given Lombardi's latest comments about their strength on the right side, he pretty much confirms that some players will have to adjust to play their off-wing.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2013/07/wait-the-kings-trade-for-dan-carcillo-isnt-official/
There’s still improvement within this team. The one area though, is you always, when you look at a good team, the quality of players and their depth - if you look at it, we have a lot of right shots, but we’re going to have to play on the off-side. So, we’re more than set up on the right wing, but we were looking, just from a depth perspective and having some flexibility with a left shot, that was an area we thought we could improve the team.

Taking Lombardi's comments into consideration, we could draw out the following depth chart heading into training camp:

Centers (5):
Kopitar
Richards
Stoll
Lewis
Fraser

Left Wings (5):
Brown
Toffoli
King
Clifford
Carcillo

Right Wings (4):
Williams
Carter
Frattin
Nolan

That gives the Kings 14 forwards, with a center and winger as spares who will be healthy scratches that can go in and out of the lineup.

I would consider the following prospects as candidates who may be able to work their way into the lineup either by call up or by earning a spot out of camp, which would then force the Kings to make a move to make room for them. The prospects I have in mind are Pearson, Vey, Andreoff and Shore.

I think it's a safe assumption to say that the Kings will be getting younger up front in 2014.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
If Carcillo trade isn't official yet does that mean he failed his physical?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It would be hard to keep him, our cap space is going to fall around $1.5 million now with Clifford and Lewis remaining to be signed. If we sign them both, we have to move someone. It is clear that we are moving someone anyway, but Clifford is in a bad spot. We just traded for a left wing who specializes on the fourth line and is a better pest/fighter, that was sort of Clifford's last bastion on the team. I have a feeling the organization now sees Andreoff as a Clifford replacement.

When's our deadline to be cap compliant? I mean, if we don't move Clifford in the next few days, I bet we just spill over a bit and go into training camp to play cutthroat.

Rob Blake better get to work...

"600k, take it or leave it" :sarcasm:

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
When's our deadline to be cap compliant? I mean, if we don't move Clifford in the next few days, I bet we just spill over a bit and go into training camp to play cutthroat.

It wouldn't be until after camp, but we would have to jettison two players before the start of the season.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Yeesh. yeah that seems unlikely then. I really wish I could see DLs master plan here.

His master plan had a giant monkey wrench thrown in it with the cap going down. He still has a plan but it has changed. As many have said we are being penalized in away because he has manged our cap so well. Having no players on bad contracts to buy out.
But we have 2 D that will need to be moved before the start of the year somehow, either in trade or trying to move one down. And need 2 F signed. We will go into camp with 9 D I suspect but we won't come out that way. It will only be 7. So we have a little more cap space than what it appears just because of this.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I don't see it. I personally saw more defensive gaffes from Clifford, who sometimes looks lost in his own zone, while King maintains his strong play around the boards. They've both shown similar offensive production, and King is bigger and stronger, and it is clear that Sutter and Lombardi favor him in some respects given how consistently he played on that line.

Personally, if I were in control, I would have traded King and put Clifford on the third line, but I don't see Sutter and Lombardi doing that.

King's awareness is his downfall on defense. He doesn't track the play well. When he's having a one on one battle he's solid, but any other times he seems lost.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yeesh. yeah that seems unlikely then. I really wish I could see DLs master plan here.

SuperStock_1830-26361.jpg

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Great news! Never understood why some posters don't care for Nolan, when he's the ideal 4th liner.

As for Lewis, if Muzzin' is worth 1M and Amart 1.1M, then Lewis is worth at least 1.5M imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad