Confirmed with Link: Jordan Leopold to Blues for draft picks

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know about you guys, but the difference between a 4th and 5th doesn't really matter to me.

Yep, doesn't really matter to me. I'd much rather give up the 4th and have Leopold be a good fit and signed to a good extension.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
However things pan out, I'm glad they made the move for Leopold. I needed something as a fan, and I think the team obviously needs help on defense.

This isn't the definitive solution, I don't think, but its at least a nidus for the team to hypothetically make a late season push into the playoffs.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I like the trade, but it certainly doesn't fix our LD problem. Jackman, Leopold, Russell is probably good enough in the regular season, but they'd each have to step it up big time to go anywhere in the playoffs. Either that, or Jaro/Elliott steals the show.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I like the trade, but it certainly doesn't fix our LD problem. Jackman, Leopold, Russell is probably good enough in the regular season, but they'd each have to step it up big time to go anywhere in the playoffs. Either that, or Jaro/Elliott steals the show.

agreed, and Bob MacKenzie also thinks we may look to add another D

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Who I really hope doesn't end up in a bluenote especially for 1st+top 3 prospect+ and a roster player which is what Calgary fans would like :amazed:

Calgary will get a 1st and a mid prospect while having to retain some of his salary. Calgary fans are delusional.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Who I really hope doesn't end up in a bluenote especially for 1st+top 3 prospect+ and a roster player which is what Calgary fans would like :amazed:

And that won't happen. He's on a terrible contract, he's unproven in the playoffs, and he has a NMC. Calgary fans are going to be pissed when/if he's dealt. He's only going to want to go to a contender, while most of his list either doesn't need him or they don't have the cap room. Not saying the Blues should get him, but if they could get Calgary to retain salary, I'd consider throwing in some lube/numbing agent.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I also don't think Army will pull the trigger until the draft. There's too big of a risk in trading a 1st right now. The question then becomes...Who blinks first? Will it be Feaster, Holmgren, Holland, Armstrong, or a surprise team?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I mean if calgary eats some of his salary then i'm willing to give up what they got for iginla LOL basically a 1st with ryan tesink and yannick veilleux LMAO

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I mean if calgary eats some of his salary then i'm willing to give up what they got for iginla LOL basically a 1st with ryan tesink and yannick veilleux LMAO

That's more or less what happened, giving up Cundari and Reto Berra plus the first, but it's even better as Cundari will never be more than a 1st or 2nd call-up, and Berra isn't likely to ever come to North America, while Tesink might become a very good 4th liner, and Villieux (although an extreme longshot) might become an NHL 3rd liner.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Which 2nd round pick did the Blues give up for Leopold, ours or the Sens'?

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Which 2nd round pick did the Blues give up for Leopold, ours or the Sens'?

I don't know if it's been announced yet. I'd like to know as well.

In hindsight, it would have been nice to have picked up Bouwmeester first and then use that 2nd rounder and a prospect toward Roy. Who knows how things would have played out though. The Leopold move may have gotten Feaster worried that the blues weren't going to pay the price he wanted and were moving on.

I like the way Russel has been playing lately so I don't know that Leopold is really much of an upgrade on him at this point. It made sense to have both of them in the lineup before we acquired Bouw, but now I just don't know what they're going to do. I guess Russell, Cole and Redden aren't really going to cost too much for the rest of the season (guessing 800K total for the 3) if we do hold all 3 for depth.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I really like this deal. I like it even better now that we added J-Bo. Leopold is ideal in your top 4-6 with Jackman and Polak. J-Bo, Shatty, and Pietro as your top 3? That's about as good as you can ask for. Leopold isn't going to be flashy. Just makes the right and simple play. I think Buffalo expected too much out of him at this point in his career. Reminds me of a guy the Blues used to have Gordie Roberts. You notice him at the end of the night and see a point or a +1.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Leo and Bo are both excellent skaters and give the Blues some size and offense. Russel was coming on but he needed to produce more offensively to earn his keep. This sets up nicely with Pie and Bo on the 1rst PP unit, Shattenkirk and Leo on the second. Jackman and Polak on the first PK unit, Pie and Bo 2nd and Shattenkirk and Leo can man the 3rd PK unit if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad