Joonas Donskoi. Signed Free Agent May 2015

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Moreover, with Donskoi...people kind of knew he was this good. Scouts have frequently said he could play bottom-6 minutes in his first NHL game. Makes it less likely that we are seeing a burst of good play...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Anybody realize that if Donskoi makes the team on Thornton and Pav's wing that we'll have a line of Joe's.

Finnish "Joe"-Jumbo Joe-Little Joe

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Too bad that Finnish sport channels, won't show NHL preseason games in Finland.
So i've missed, all sharks preseason games.

But what i've read Finnish media, Donskoi has been impressive.
Of course he could have few bad games, but i'm sure Donskoi is coming better every day.

If Donskoi makes NHL team, it's great but of he goes to AHL that's great too.
Into San Jose Barracuda's team, Donskoi has chance develop himself more.
And get big minutes ice time, and there he's all the time ready to get called up when Sharks has injuries.

Also i'm sure that Donskoi is one of those guys, who'll get called up sooner or later if his season starts into AHL.
Donskoi is offensive scoring winger, when he's ready NHL player he has chances to score about +30 goals per season.

Last edited:

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Donskoi is offensive scoring winger, when he's ready NHL player he has chances to score about +30 goals per season.
I don't think Donskoi will be a 30 goal scorer, he doesn't have a very good shot. What I think he will be is a good two way puck possession player who can make any line better and gets second powerplay unit time.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu

Let's not get carried away before any real NHL games have been played. 30 goals isn't completely unrealistic but if you want to look at things realistically, 40+ points, 15 goals would be awesome (Jori Lehterä-type numbers). He definately has the potential to become a top 6 forward.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Moreover, with Donskoi...people kind of knew he was this good. Scouts have frequently said he could play bottom-6 minutes in his first NHL game. Makes it less likely that we are seeing a burst of good play...

He showed well at the Worlds too, which was NHL competition. I highly doubt he's a flash in the pan.

I don't think Donskoi will be a 30 goal scorer, he doesn't have a very good shot. What I think he will be is a good two way puck possession player who can make any line better and gets second powerplay unit time.

This is what I'm hoping. Defensively responsible top-9 scoring forward who might actually be able to make something of our atrocious second PP unit.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Well, I'm psyched by the feedback - I'd be happy if he was a solid NHL-type player. Just didn't see much that stood out during the Vancouver/Anaheim games when I saw him.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I like some of this Google translation :laugh:

At the moment, San Josella in the ranks of 27 players, of which 17 are invaders. The final NHL season opens, but the assembly can accommodate up to 23 players. About four failed will still farm. If the screens actually outweighed, Donskoi does not come into the cutter.

Donskoi and the last period SCUBA: playing for a loan Nikolay Goldobin are the only group that does not match any belt NHL - Donskoj has not even Game digits Sharks website. Goldobin, 19, is the Sharks first round of the booking before last summer. He is the organization's top talent, who gets opportunities to show and fail. Donskoj do not have this luxury. Free agent joined the team of Finnish virtuoso is displayed immediately out of the box, which he has mettle. This he has done mightily.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I like some of this Google translation :laugh:

At the moment, San Josella in the ranks of 27 players, of which 17 are invaders. The final NHL season opens, but the assembly can accommodate up to 23 players. About four failed will still farm. If the screens actually outweighed, Donskoi does not come into the cutter.

Finnish take their hockey seriously :D

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Hopefully this is the year Thornton steps up and even Game digits Sharks website during the playoffs.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Donskoi is Finnish virtuoso.
Donskoi has mettle.
Donskoi has done mightily.

Saving these for future GDT.

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Translated the article for you:

"San Jose rookie forward Joons Donskoi is about to do something big, writes Urheilusanomat NHL correspondent Sami Hoffrén.

San Jose Sharks' Finnish forward Joonas Donskoi is known as an avid car tuner. This fall there hasn't been time to tune his brand new car under the burning sun of California. He has a good reason. At this moment the 23-year old car guy from Raahe is tuning the surprise of this fall in the NHL. Donskoi is about to take a roster spot in the NHL - and not from a bad line.

When the puck drops for the NHL regular season on october 7th in Los Angeles, from the Sharks the opening faceoff will be taken, it looks like, by the first line Joonas Donskoi - Joe Thornton - Joe Pavelski.

Living in North America for the first time, the Finnish winger has jumped bravely into the deep end of the pool. Donskoi started the fall at the Sharks rookie camp, where he was in a league of his own. Even though Donskoi is a rookie on that side of the pond [Atlantic], he was a pro amongst juniors. Donskoi's level hasn't been put to test properly until San Jose's actual training camp. His results are top notch.

Donskoi has impressed with his vision, maturity with the puck and activity. Therefore head coach Peter DeBoer is ready to give Donskoi a proper opportunity. DeBoer put Donskoi in last friday's exhibition game next to one of the best playmakes in NHL, Thornton, and the team's top point producer Pavelski. Playing unusually on the left wing instead of right, Donskoi thanked for the responsibility by playing a solid game and putting up a goal and an assist.

On monday Sharks cut some players, but Donskoi was still on the first line. New first line has a fitting nick name too: Joe-nas brothers. Barring any great surprises Sharks will start the regular season with the current top lines.

Can Donskoi's break through be considered a surprise? Yes and no. Donskoi earning a spot in the NHL is not a shocking surprise. He showed last spring in the World Championships he can play against the top players of the world with his own strengths. Donskoi was one of the sensations of the games. It is a surprise that he has shown to be ready to battle for the biggest spots in the roster. Acclimating for the new surroundings has been swift.

As far as his game goes, Donskoi has been able to continue from where he left las season. Season 2014-2015 was an unprecedented fireworks display. Donskoi did in SM-liiga at times what he wanted. The dynamic forward was a saving angel with his linemates Joonas Kemppainen and Julius Junttila.

When he was younger, Donskoi was a flashy player and did even rare tricks with the puck but at times it came at the expense of effectiveness. The fourth round pick by Panthers in 2010 was in line with that. He had all the talent, but still ways to go to enter the NHL.

Laying the foundations for his current NHL-spot started in the summer of 2013. In the same summer Lauri Marjamäki was hired as the head coach for Kärpät. Donskoi and many other Kärpät players started living the life of a top athlete. Donskoi and Kemppainen who transferred to Boston Bruins for this season, who by the way starts as the fourth line center for the team, are prime examples of what happens when talented players start working hard and maximizing their potential. The goal of NHL - not a dream - has been worked hard for. Everything has been rethinked all the way to diet and posture on the ice.

At the moment San Jose has a roster of 27 players, of which 17 are forwards. The final starting roster in the NHL can hold 23 players. About four forwards will go to the farm team. If results matter, Donskoi won't be cut.

Donskoi and last season's HIFK loan player Nikolai Goldobin are the only ones of the group who haven't played a game in the NHL. Donskoi doesn't even have his jersey number on the Sharks website. Goldobin, 19, is the first round pick from 2014. He's the top talent for the organisation who gets opportunities to show and fail. Donskoi can't afford this luxury. The Finnish talented free agent hire has to show immediately what he can do. Which is what he has done.

Donskoi has eaten players with more merits from in front of him and has risen in the hierarchy to the top lines. That alone is a big accomplishment.

Hardest thing isn't getting to the NHL. Hardest and toughest is to stay there. That's what Donskoi must do next."

All in all (and considering its tabloid source not surprisingly) it's a terribly written piece with awful language and I tried to stay true to the material. All the flair and strange wordings I'd attribute to the OP.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5