Joonas Donskoi. Signed Free Agent May 2015

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know it's early to ask this.
As we know Donskoi's 2yrs ELC contract with Sharks finishing next summer ( 2017).

So what's the situation of Joonas Donskoi in Sharks right now.
Is Doug Wilson re-signing him before next summer and how that Las Vegas expansion draft affects for Donskoi and is sharks protecting him or not.

He'll probably re-sign him after the season is over but he is exempt from the expansion draft so there is no need to protect him.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Nothing I've heard from DW on plans for Donksoi, but I am far from surprised at this stage. Smart money is probably betting that Donskoi is signed because he's an RFA, rather than UFA.

Sharks have slightly over $14M/yr coming off in payroll for UFA, and another $5.7M/yr for RFA. Of that $19.7M/yr sum, $2.24M/yr goes to Burns. So this leaves $17.5M/yr for DW to resign/acquire players.

Also, import to note is two items. First, no defenseman is UFA or RFA this offseason. Second is the expansion draft for the Las Vegas team.

I would say that it's good timing on Donskoi to be resigned, and of the RFA, he's the most attractive to retain. I would rank the RFA's in this order:

1- Donskoi
2- Tierney
3- Karlsson
4- Nieto

In fact, I would put Donskoi ahead of in Wingels in signing priority. Wingels is a UFA, along with Thornton, Marleau, and Haley.

I would much rather have Donskoi next year over Boedker if it comes to that choice. Boedker is making $4M/yr and does not seem to be justifiying that cap hit on the ice to me. I suspect that Boedker will not be protected from the expansion draft.

Of the list of players not performing to their cap hit, I would choose these players:

1- Ward
2- Boedker
3- Paul Martin
4- Dillion

I expect these will not be protected players, and it bodes well for Donksoi to not be on that list. It looks good for him, but I hope Boedker's salary does not lift Donksoi's resigning too high.

It's still early enough in the season so that things can change as players find themselves, get into their groove, and out-perform expectations.

He'll probably re-sign him after the season is over but he is exempt from the expansion draft so there is no need to protect him.

I don't think the NHL has clarified whether players coming off their ELC prior to the draft and are not under 25 are protected or not. All I've seen are sources other than the NHL.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see why it bodes will for Donskoi to not be on the list. He can't be on that list regardless. He's exempt from the expansion draft process.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
This off-season could be very active for us. First is if Thornton and Marleau are back. Next is the expansion draft. After that is our logjam of players, forwards and D-men alike.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Only players with more than two years of NHL or AHL experience at the time of the expansion draft are eligible to be selected. Donskoi won't meet that requirement and therefore is exempt.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't see why it bodes will for Donskoi to not be on the list. He can't be on that list regardless. He's exempt from the expansion draft process.

Not how I read the tea leaves, and admittedly it is just that since the NHL has not released the actual expansion draft contract from what I've seen.

So the only way for Donskoi to be protected is that he signs before the end of the season, and then is listed as a protected player by the Sharks. Otherwise, he's exposed to the 48 hour RFA/UFA draft window granted to the LVGK just prior to the draft. If LVGK drafts a RFA/UFA player, and signs him, then that counts as towards the draft limit of one player per club.

For this reason, I think DW signs Donskoi and protects him prior to the end of the season.

So that's how I read those tea leaves.

Only players with more than two years of NHL or AHL experience at the time of the expansion draft are eligible to be selected. Donskoi won't meet that requirement and therefore is exempt.

He'll have his two years as he's incapable of being a slide risk per NHL CBA, correct? That's only if he's signs this season, otherwise, he's effectively unprotected due to his RFA status. And, the way I understandi it, if he remains a RFA at the expansion draft, he will not count as being unprotected per the rules of the expansion draft.

There's everything out there for whichever way... two years or more, 70 games in this season, more than two years......

Again, this is all reading the tea leaves as there appears to be no definitive NHL source with the minutiae.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not how I read the tea leaves, and admittedly it is just that since the NHL has not released the actual expansion draft contract from what I've seen.

So the only way for Donskoi to be protected is that he signs before the end of the season, and then is listed as a protected player by the Sharks. Otherwise, he's exposed to the 48 hour RFA/UFA draft window granted to the LVGK just prior to the draft. If LVGK drafts a RFA/UFA player, and signs him, then that counts as towards the draft limit of one player per club.

For this reason, I think DW signs Donskoi and protects him prior to the end of the season.

So that's how I read those tea leaves.

How you read the tea leaves? It doesn't matter how you read the tea leaves. Read this and understand that Donskoi is exempt.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Has to be *more* than two years. Players with two years or less of service are exempt.

As I said, you can find "definitive source" that it's two years, more than two years, or 70 games this season. Also, as long as Donskoi remains a RFA into the expansion draft, he's eligible for drafting in that 48-hour window. I've not seen any source that says RFA/UFA for that 48-hour draft window has to have more than two years experience.

Reference some links, please.... not to be flippit, but I am truly interested.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
As I said, you can find "definitive source" that it's two years, more than two years, or 70 games this season. Also, as long as Donskoi remains a RFA into the expansion draft, he's eligible for drafting in that 48-hour window. I've not seen any source that says RFA/UFA for that 48-hour draft window has to have more than two years experience.

Reference some links, please.... not to be flippit, but I am truly interested.

Straight from the NHL: "All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection"

RFA/UFA status doesn't matter - as long as the player is a first or second year professional (Donskoi being the latter) they are exempt regardless of contract status.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Straight from the NHL: "All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection"

RFA/UFA status doesn't matter - as long as the player is a first or second year professional (Donskoi being the latter) they are exempt regardless of contract status.

If Donskoi is ineligible as a RFA with two years of service under his belt, then the condition exists where LVGK cannot go after Donskoi as a RFA but other clubs can. It doesn't seem plausible that the NHL would create that situation. It would seem more plausible that Donskoi is eligible as an RFA (which he will be if not signed prior) for that 48-hour window.

The minuetia is where you draw the line, at the conclusion of the player's 3rd season, or at the conclusion of the player's 2nd season. Like I said, there is no definitive word, just NHL press releases. I've seen it drawn both ways, and other ways, and still waiting for the details from the NHL.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
If Donskoi is ineligible as a RFA with two years of service under his belt, then the condition exists where LVGK cannot go after Donskoi as a RFA but other clubs can. It doesn't seem plausible that the NHL would create that situation. It would seem more plausible that Donskoi is eligible as an RFA (which he will be if not signed prior) for that 48-hour window.

The minuetia is where you draw the line, at the conclusion of the player's 3rd season, or at the conclusion of the player's 2nd season. Like I said, there is no definitive word, just NHL press releases. I've seen it drawn both ways, and other ways, and still waiting for the details from the NHL.

Here is Pierre LeBrun saying Artemi Panarin, who is in the exact same situation as Donskoi (will have played two years in the NHL and be a pending RFA at the time of the expansion draft), is exempt.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

It's been pretty clear for a while that Donskoi will be exempt bc he only has two years. The expansion draft is before July 1st, which seems to be the CY for when those things change. That's clear to me. Plus he's played 0 games in his third year. The NHL has said Panarin would be exempt and Donskoi is in the same situation. I don't see a good argument for how he'd be in his third year in this situation.

How is LV disadvantaged compared to other clubs with respect to signing Donskoi? They'll be in the same position as other non-SJ clubs: he's an RFA so they can offer sheet him. They can't take him in the expansion draft (but neither can any other club).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Um...no. Those exempt and those protected are not eligible to be signed by Vegas in that 48 hour window and only Vegas is being given that window. Not anyone else. Yes, there is definitive word. You simply aren't understanding it correctly.

Jul 10, 2010
If Donskoi is ineligible as a RFA with two years of service under his belt, then the condition exists where LVGK cannot go after Donskoi as a RFA but other clubs can. It doesn't seem plausible that the NHL would create that situation. It would seem more plausible that Donskoi is eligible as an RFA (which he will be if not signed prior) for that 48-hour window..

Vegas will be able to try and sign him AFTER July 1 just like every other club, they just won't be able to negotiate with him prior to the expansion draft

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Nothing I've heard from DW on plans for Donksoi, but I am far from surprised at this stage. Smart money is probably betting that Donskoi is signed because he's an RFA, rather than UFA.

Sharks have slightly over $14M/yr coming off in payroll for UFA, and another $5.7M/yr for RFA. Of that $19.7M/yr sum, $2.24M/yr goes to Burns. So this leaves $17.5M/yr for DW to resign/acquire players.

Also, import to note is two items. First, no defenseman is UFA or RFA this offseason. Second is the expansion draft for the Las Vegas team.

I would say that it's good timing on Donskoi to be resigned, and of the RFA, he's the most attractive to retain. I would rank the RFA's in this order:

1- Donskoi
2- Tierney
3- Karlsson
4- Nieto

In fact, I would put Donskoi ahead of in Wingels in signing priority. Wingels is a UFA, along with Thornton, Marleau, and Haley.

I would much rather have Donskoi next year over Boedker if it comes to that choice. Boedker is making $4M/yr and does not seem to be justifiying that cap hit on the ice to me. I suspect that Boedker will not be protected from the expansion draft.

Of the list of players not performing to their cap hit, I would choose these players:

1- Ward
2- Boedker
3- Paul Martin
4- Dillion

I expect these will not be protected players, and it bodes well for Donksoi to not be on that list. It looks good for him, but I hope Boedker's salary does not lift Donksoi's resigning too high.

It's still early enough in the season so that things can change as players find themselves, get into their groove, and out-perform expectations.

I don't think the NHL has clarified whether players coming off their ELC prior to the draft and are not under 25 are protected or not. All I've seen are sources other than the NHL.

How long Donskoi's next contract might be with Sharks.
And what's solid ( not too expensive) cap-hit for him and how it fits Sharks cap space.?

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
And what's solid ( not too expensive) cap-hit for him and how it fits Sharks cap space.?

Contract term and $$$ are going to depend a lot on how he does the rest of the season. So far this year hasn't been as good as last year for him, so if he were to fall back into the slump he started the year on and had it continue the rest of the regular season and the playoffs (especially) his contract wouldn't be very high and would probably only be a couple years tops. If he plays at the same level as last season or better, or best case starts playing like he did in the playoffs or improves on THAT, then the value and term are going to go up.

TL;DR version: Right now value/term he'd get is down. If he plays well the rest of the way, he'll make a lot more. But no way to get a hard value now because of the uncertainty.

In any case, I don't think finding room for him under the cap will be an issue, especially if he takes a 2-year bridge deal like Hertl just did.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

Of course it depends on this year, but if he's only given 2 years he will be a UFA at the end of that contract. With that in mind, if he's doing really well, the Sharks will want to buy some of his UFA years. He could get up to a 5 year contract and if that happens he could get much more than people are expecting. Maybe 3 or 3.5 per year or more.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Contract term and $$$ are going to depend a lot on how he does the rest of the season. So far this year hasn't been as good as last year for him, so if he were to fall back into the slump he started the year on and had it continue the rest of the regular season and the playoffs (especially) his contract wouldn't be very high and would probably only be a couple years tops. If he plays at the same level as last season or better, or best case starts playing like he did in the playoffs or improves on THAT, then the value and term are going to go up.

TL;DR version: Right now value/term he'd get is down. If he plays well the rest of the way, he'll make a lot more. But no way to get a hard value now because of the uncertainty.

In any case, I don't think finding room for him under the cap will be an issue, especially if he takes a 2-year bridge deal like Hertl just did.

Thanks for this information.
Lets see how well Donskoi plays rest of the season.

That's true this season has been difficult for Joonas and if / when he takes that 2year bridge deal it's OK for him in this situation.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Of course it depends on this year, but if he's only given 2 years he will be a UFA at the end of that contract. With that in mind, if he's doing really well, the Sharks will want to buy some of his UFA years. He could get up to a 5 year contract and if that happens he could get much more than people are expecting. Maybe 3 or 3.5 per year or more.

3.-3.5? yet Boedker makes 4.....

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
17239998.png

I need this

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
3.-3.5? yet Boedker makes 4.....

Boedker was brought in as a free agent to put up ~40-50 points per year. That hasn't happened yet, but there is no way Donskoi is going to successfully use that as a negotiating tactic. He's still an RFA and he'll price himself out of a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad