Jonathan Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I liked what Toews did last night defensively. But yeah he's just not the same player in terms of power. He looks like he tires easier.
One would think you can't play hockey on vegetables or tofu. Or any sport. Keith has the same issue and is also not mentally in the game sometimes either.
But you have to wonder.

On the other hand Kruger loves his steak and potatoes apparently and he is a workhorse out there....

Is Toews vegan?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Is Toews vegan?

No. He just grows his own veggies. He eats meat.

Also, plenty of elite athletes have gone vegan and improved their performance, especially since dairy is ****ing poison and most protein supplements are dairy based.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Also, plenty of elite athletes have gone vegan and improved their performance, especially since dairy is ****ing poison and most protein supplements are dairy based.

Plenty is a stretch. Prince Fielder is the most well known.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

I was just curious. I'm aware there are vegan athletes out there .. not sure how many are NHL/NFL/NBA players but there is merit there for sure.
Come a long way from Lafleur having a smoke between periods!

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
What Toews eats doesn't have anything to do with his poor play with puck and him suddenly looking like Kruger offensively

No doubt. He had poor numbers last year as well and was a no show in the playoffs. He's untouchable in Chicago at this point but he needs to do a little more for that 10.5 million dollar cap hit.

He needs to show up in the playoffs this year offensively.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Blues fan here. Couple of questions here. One: Toews is an absolute thorn in our side. Two: What do you guys think the Blues need to get over the hump?

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Blues fan here. Couple of questions here. One: Toews is an absolute thorn in our side. Two: What do you guys think the Blues need to get over the hump?

Don't tell that to some of the Toews haters here on the board. He might as well be the anti-Christ right now for three or four posters here.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

There's tough hockey and then there's goon hockey. For every penalty the Blues take they probably deserve three on many nights. Physicality is one thing but your team needs to clean up the bush league stuff.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016

A couple of people have already touched on a couple of big issues. Right now you only have one premier offensive threat. Beyond Tarasenko none of your forwards scare anyone or need to be matched up against. That does mean that your forwards are trash (they are not) but it is a lot of middle six talent and Tarasenko is your only top line threat. If the Hawks and Blues play the Hawks have 3 of the 4 best offensive forwards (Kane, Panarin, Hossa, Tarasenko). The rest of the rosters match up fairly evenly.

The penalties and aggressiveness can also work to your detriment. Focus more on skating than hitting. And get rid of Reaves or teach him to play a different way. Every once in a while he has a good game where his forecheck causes pressure and turnovers but it is his only skill and when it isn't working for him he is nothing but a liability. The Hawks have brought in "tough" guys like him in the past (Tootoo, Carcillo, etc.) but they do not allow those guys to goon it up or play dirty which might cost them a game. They make them play hockey and be solid defensively (there toughness is just there just in case the other team does something stupid).

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
A couple of people have already touched on a couple of big issues. Right now you only have one premier offensive threat. Beyond Tarasenko none of your forwards scare anyone or need to be matched up against. That does mean that your forwards are trash (they are not) but it is a lot of middle six talent and Tarasenko is your only top line threat. If the Hawks and Blues play the Hawks have 3 of the 4 best offensive forwards (Kane, Panarin, Hossa, Tarasenko). The rest of the rosters match up fairly evenly.

The penalties and aggressiveness can also work to your detriment. Focus more on skating than hitting. And get rid of Reaves or teach him to play a different way. Every once in a while he has a good game where his forecheck causes pressure and turnovers but it is his only skill and when it isn't working for him he is nothing but a liability. The Hawks have brought in "tough" guys like him in the past (Tootoo, Carcillo, etc.) but they do not allow those guys to goon it up or play dirty which might cost them a game. They make them play hockey and be solid defensively (there toughness is just there just in case the other team does something stupid).

excellent write up.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The Blues are built on depth. And they're deep. But to win in the playoffs in general you need great players to be great or a goalie playing out of his ****ing mind.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The facts show that Toews is only slightly behind d his career average in shots per game...career 2.57...this season in 25GP it is 2.52..However his shooting% is way down...career is 14.7% ...this season to date it is just 6.1%...Normally one would attribute such a finishing decline to being "snake-bitten" ...But tge eyeball test tells us that tge quality of his shots even if the quantity of them is near career levels ,IS way "off" normal...in Normal Toews there are many quality close in shots via his patented wrap-around ds...this season for some reason we have seen very few such moves by him on tge wrap-around attempts...Next tge shot quality is down because of his inability to get clear of checks ..so his shots are now more often rushed with a checker on him or he is not getting to prime shoiting areas that provide better chances to beat goalies. .Also there does not seem very often to be a lot of hardness to his shot...too many look too easy for goalies to save...too many routine shots..So to me he mist either up his shots per game average if he maintains such poor shooting efficiency and do so by more than double (which is not going to hapoen)
if he wants to get back onto career average goal scoring pace .OR he needs to up the quality of his shots..by getting more free of his checkers. .skating faster for more break-in rushes and more wrap-around. ..it is true...he is now not coasting at slow sluggish speed as he did in the first dozen games or so to start this season ...But it is also true that he still us not skating g fast enough to get thise free paths to tge net unchecked or those normal amounts of wrap-around chances..He also needs some more consistent hacking g away I the crease kind of ugly hard work goals. the point is for $10.5 million in a 1C role he is vastly underscoring ...but even if that amount of pay should only go to a 100 points guy or to a 40 goal guy with 85 points ,the facts are that Toews even in good seasons only puts up about 66-72 points and 30-32 goals ..that level is what we expect as his normal..and that pay level is only worth $ 6.5 to $7 million per ...so even of we grant him another million for faceoffs and posession and leadership (this latter item hardly there this season but is expected in normal seasons) there us still NO WAY he can e er justify $10.5 million per ....but when you get a season so putrid in goals and points as he is giving g us in his 25 GP this season...it even makes fans angrier at his pay cost.....his goal scori g and play-make g "talent" appears to have vanished...I know...Ladd season we gave him a mulligan after it was over realizing g that maybe tge "tired" excuse had some validity after a shirt summer..But cannot use that for this season...So now it is the bD back or upper body nagging injury excuse..His defenders may buy that spin...but many more skeptics like me suspect rather that with 8 year $10.5 million security tge fat-cat syndrome simply has got tge better of him ..especialky with all he has done for us in the past ...been there 3 times to the top of tge heap..earned tge fat cheques...big star..so why bother to go all out every game on tge majority of shifts...Rather. ..just punch tge clock..wait for playoffs..then if the feeling is right...then flip the switch to the A game..This is how it Looks to.me...tge business about big money corrupting ...turn g a star into a Country Club star ...survive on reputation..not performance. I can forgive true snake-bitten guys with
bad luck ...or who get robbed beyond normal levels by goalies across the league ...but I cannot forgive players who fail the eyeball test of not generating quality scoring chances in their shooting or who fail to generate set -ups for linemates of such quality scoring chances..and so far Toews has filed miserably 8n these tasks that a good 1C must accomplish. If he is hampered by injury then a 50% healthy ot even a 75% healthy Toews is not good enough to be playing..We need 90-100% health to become effective again ..If this is not the case ...he should not be playing g till he gets there. IF he is now that healthy then he has fun out of excuses. WE expect him to produce a lit more offense m..to the pace of at least his Normal...Should he persist in meh production or the putrid level.it is mired in ..then he is a big cap albatross..And who woukd have no believed that from.our beloved fearless leader..The point is...the longer he persists without his normal. level.of Contribution to offense the less beloved he becomes and his legend starts fading .To go from. respected 1C to a mediocrity underachiever.....

. ..who could have ever guessed?It boggles the mind.But so far this season and after the disappointment of lady season,his meteoric decline into putrid effectiveness on offense is both mysterious and alarming..
So we pray he picks it up ...for who I their right minds wants to cheer for an all-star first team County try Clubber?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
FIDDY'S annual 95 THESES

Luther-posting-95-theses-560x366.jpg

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The facts show that Toews is only slightly behind d his career average in shots per game...career 2.57...this season in 25GP it is 2.52..However his shooting% is way down...career is 14.7% ...this season to date it is just 6.1%...Normally one would attribute such a finishing decline to being "snake-bitten" ...But tge eyeball test tells us that tge quality of his shots even if the quantity of them is near career levels ,IS way "off" normal...in Normal Toews there are many quality close in shots via his patented wrap-around ds...this season for some reason we have seen very few such moves by him on tge wrap-around attempts...Next tge shot quality is down because of his inability to get clear of checks ..so his shots are now more often rushed with a checker on him or he is not getting to prime shoiting areas that provide better chances to beat goalies. .Also there does not seem very often to be a lot of hardness to his shot...too many look too easy for goalies to save...too many routine shots..So to me he mist either up his shots per game average if he maintains such poor shooting efficiency and do so by more than double (which is not going to hapoen)
if he wants to get back onto career average goal scoring pace .OR he needs to up the quality of his shots..by getting more free of his checkers. .skating faster for more break-in rushes and more wrap-around. ..it is true...he is now not coasting at slow sluggish speed as he did in the first dozen games or so to start this season ...But it is also true that he still us not skating g fast enough to get thise free paths to tge net unchecked or those normal amounts of wrap-around chances..He also needs some more consistent hacking g away I the crease kind of ugly hard work goals. the point is for $10.5 million in a 1C role he is vastly underscoring ...but even if that amount of pay should only go to a 100 points guy or to a 40 goal guy with 85 points ,the facts are that Toews even in good seasons only puts up about 66-72 points and 30-32 goals ..that level is what we expect as his normal..and that pay level is only worth $ 6.5 to $7 million per ...so even of we grant him another million for faceoffs and posession and leadership (this latter item hardly there this season but is expected in normal seasons) there us still NO WAY he can e er justify $10.5 million per ....but when you get a season so putrid in goals and points as he is giving g us in his 25 GP this season...it even makes fans angrier at his pay cost.....his goal scori g and play-make g "talent" appears to have vanished...I know...Ladd season we gave him a mulligan after it was over realizing g that maybe tge "tired" excuse had some validity after a shirt summer..But cannot use that for this season...So now it is the bD back or upper body nagging injury excuse..His defenders may buy that spin...but many more skeptics like me suspect rather that with 8 year $10.5 million security tge fat-cat syndrome simply has got tge better of him ..especialky with all he has done for us in the past ...been there 3 times to the top of tge heap..earned tge fat cheques...big star..so why bother to go all out every game on tge majority of shifts...Rather. ..just punch tge clock..wait for playoffs..then if the feeling is right...then flip the switch to the A game..This is how it Looks to.me...tge business about big money corrupting ...turn g a star into a Country Club star ...survive on reputation..not performance. I can forgive true snake-bitten guys with
bad luck ...or who get robbed beyond normal levels by goalies across the league ...but I cannot forgive players who fail the eyeball test of not generating quality scoring chances in their shooting or who fail to generate set -ups for linemates of such quality scoring chances..and so far Toews has filed miserably 8n these tasks that a good 1C must accomplish. If he is hampered by injury then a 50% healthy ot even a 75% healthy Toews is not good enough to be playing..We need 90-100% health to become effective again ..If this is not the case ...he should not be playing g till he gets there. IF he is now that healthy then he has fun out of excuses. WE expect him to produce a lit more offense m..to the pace of at least his Normal...Should he persist in meh production or the putrid level.it is mired in ..then he is a big cap albatross..And who woukd have no believed that from.our beloved fearless leader..The point is...the longer he persists without his normal. level.of Contribution to offense the less beloved he becomes and his legend starts fading .To go from. respected 1C to a mediocrity underachiever.....

. ..who could have ever guessed?It boggles the mind.But so far this season and after the disappointment of lady season,his meteoric decline into putrid effectiveness on offense is both mysterious and alarming..
So we pray he picks it up ...for who I their right minds wants to cheer for an all-star first team County try Clubber?

I challenge anyone to read all of this. If I took every negatively posted word from you about Toews and strung it together I think it would circle the entire planet.......

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

This has to be intentional, right?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What does the wall of writing say? Anything new?

Would love to see Toews break out with a multi-point game tonight.

I bet I can sum up his dissertation in two words ... "Toews Sucks."

Here's what I want from Toews tonight ...

1. Keep possession alive for Panarin and Kane.
2. Be a presence in front of the net.
3. Keep shooting on net and create scoring opportunities.
4. Play his usual good defense.

At some point, he'll start scoring if he keeps efforting ... or at least it's my hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad