Jonathan Toews' offensive production

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
All the people saying Toews can put up 110 points are ridiculous.

There are 7 100 point scorers in the NHL this year. There were 7 last year.

They are:

Thornton (2)
Crosby (2)
Ovechkin
Heatley (2)
Alfredsson
Staal
Jagr
Lecavalier
St. Louis
Sakic
Hossa

Toews does not have the offensive ability of any of those guys. Unless you think scoring is going to increase dramatically over the next decade, Toews will never sniff 110 points.

I see him as a 75-90 point guy consistently while maintaining his excellent all around game. That's nothing to scoff at, but please, let's not overrate him.

do you think alfredsson and st. louis where expected to be 100 point players and stars in the nhl at age 18/19.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
IMO Towes will be one of those players whose point totals will depend largely on who he has playing on his wing. He is talented, yes, but I don't think he's got the offensive talent alone to really dictate the tempo of a game or get make players around him much, much better. -ala Crosby, Jagr, Hossa etc.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
do you think alfredsson and st. louis where expected to be 100 point players and stars in the nhl at age 18/19.

Of course they weren't but Alexandre Daigle and Jason Bonsignore probably were expected to be 100 point players in their prime. I don't see Toews as a 100 point players and as you saw from that list it is rare for a player to be scoring so much. Don't expect anyone to do that unless they are scoring sensations in junior/college. And even then you should be careful not to expect too much.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
As a Chicago fan if he can average 80-90 points per season while still being a good leader and great on defense i will be ecstatic.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Of course they weren't but Alexandre Daigle and Jason Bonsignore probably were expected to be 100 point players in their prime. I don't see Toews as a 100 point players and as you saw from that list it is rare for a player to be scoring so much. Don't expect anyone to do that unless they are scoring sensations in junior/college. And even then you should be careful not to expect too much.

i understand that not everyone who is expected to be great end up as stars. daigle had no heart. he kind of messed up himself. bonsignore i dont know. i just think toews has what it takes to be one of the best forwards in the league. only time will tell if im right or wrong.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Of course not, but you're looking at two unique cases of guys who were drafted late, or in St. Louis' case not drafted. St. Louis always had the talent but he came into the league in an era where being so small was a much bigger handicap than it is now.

It's not really valid logic to say that because they did, we can expect Toews to do it. It's possible that he will, just like it's possible any other undrafted player will. It just isn't likely at all and at this point, it's a huge stretch to suggest Toews has that kind of scoring potential.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005

Before and during the 05/06 season, Eric Staal´s flaws on TSN.ca were "Isn't a natural goal-scorer and may have trouble putting points on the board in the pros. "

EVERYTHING you read anywhere about hockeyprospects is just a guess so every post including "no doubt", "for sure" or anything like that is worth nothing, as all these opinions are based on several sources like the example above...

That´s being said, no doubt, it´s possible he´ll get 100 points at some point in his career ;)

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Before and during the 05/06 season, Eric Staal´s flaws on TSN.ca were "Isn't a natural goal-scorer and may have trouble putting points on the board in the pros. "

EVERYTHING you read anywhere about hockeyprospects is just a guess so every post including "no doubt", "for sure" or anything like that is worth nothing, as all these opinions are based on several sources like the example above...

That´s being said, no doubt, it´s possible he´ll get 100 points at some point in his career ;)

Or maybe you just made the mistake of reading tsn.ca's scouting reports instead of watching the player yourself.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Or maybe you just made the mistake of reading tsn.ca's scouting reports instead of watching the player yourself.

Do you wanna tell me you can foresee the point production of an actual college player by watching him? Neither you nor professional scouts are able to do that. You PROBABLY can see what type of player he is and if you are good you can see if his style of play will translate to the next level but you´ll never know if he´s able to score 80 points or 100 just by watching college games!

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Do you wanna tell me you can foresee the point production of an actual college player by watching him? Neither you nor professional scouts are able to do that. You PROBABLY can see what type of player he is and if you are good you can see if his style of play will translate to the next level but you´ll never know if he´s able to score 80 points or 100 just by watching college games!

Nobody can judge exactly what a player is going to do, but you can certainly get a good idea by watching him play and evaluating his skills/talent. In any case, using your own two eyes is a much better gauge than anything that's on tsn.ca.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I can tell you right now that Toews will NEVER hit 100 points.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
The Hawks know how to ruin even the best prospect, which is why im not that excited about picking 1st this year.

So even if Toews tops out at 60 points he will be our best drafted player since Roenick and I would be very very happy.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
The Hawks know how to ruin even the best prospect, which is why im not that excited about picking 1st this year.

So even if Toews tops out at 60 points he will be our best drafted player since Roenick and I would be very very happy.

It's funny how relative happiness is.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006

Best drafted FORWARD. I would say that Seabrook at #9 was a pretty solid pick.

TRVIPERS

Sep 26, 2006
Home of the Jets
I can tell you right now that Toews will NEVER hit 100 points.

You may be right. 100 points is not easy to come by in the NHL.

Toews has always been a very good offensive player. His point totals have been excellent to outstanding everyway he played. In 2002-2003, he scored 98 goals and 95 assists for 193 points in 48 games as a 14 year old in AAA.The next 2 years for Shattuck-St.Mary's Sabres; in 133 games he scored 112 goals and 116 assists for 218 points. In college he has scored 37 goals and 44 assists for 81 points in 72 games. I believe he should have at least point a game potential in the NHL with an upside of 100 + points

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
You may be right. 100 points is not easy to come by in the NHL.

Toews has always been a very good offensive player. His point totals have been excellent to outstanding everyway he played. In 2002-2003, he scored 98 goals and 95 assists for 193 points in 48 games as a 14 year old in AAA.The next 2 years for Shattuck-St.Mary's Sabres; in 133 games he scored 112 goals and 116 assists for 218 points. In college he has scored 37 goals and 44 assists for 81 points in 72 games. I believe he should have at least point a game potential in the NHL with an upside of 100 + points

I agree, I mean i understand someone saying they believe he'll never reach it, but saying for sure is one thing you cant, lets see Joe Sakic (using him cause Toews has been compared to him for his complete game), He was 37 now? he just had a 100 points this season, his career high is arounf what, 120 points i think, and he was a first rounder, actually 15th overall, now when he was drafted 15th overall I'm pretty sure they didnt expect that much from, him, probably not a 100 points... But he did it, you shouldnt expect it from Toews, but he could one day reach it...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I can't believe I saw a Jason Bonsignore posting on this site!! YOU TALK ABOUT A BUST!! HOLY LORD!

I don't know what went wrong with that guy, but he could have been the next Lindros..and I don't mean Brett lindros.

I hope nobody is comparing Toews to Daigle or Bonsignore, this kid has ALL-AROUND talent, and not just 1 facet of the game. I agree with Ranger, Toews won't score 100 points in a season. I don't care if he has Marty Havlat on his left and Julio Havlat on his right, ain't gonna happen.

Great talent, 60-75 point guy for his career, and on this team, thats a great job. He will be just like Ruutu, all around great guy, but probably will never net more then 30 in a season, outside of that 1 fluke year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00