Jonathan Toews' offensive production

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
He is a special player, hes already complete and plays an all around game at a very young age. But what I want to know is what his offensive production will be once he reaches his prime? Also how many years away from his prime is he?

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
hmm

i see him being a PPG player in his prime...maybe some years slightly over it and some slightly under...

He's not some offensive dynamo though, some seem to think, very good sound player, 2 way game, does little things right. He's a winner...but 100 pt seasons...i dont see it.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
i see him being a PPG player in his prime...maybe some years slightly over it and some slightly under...

He's not some offensive dynamo though, some seem to think, very good sound player, 2 way game, does little things right. He's a winner...but 100 pt seasons...i dont see it.

Yeah well the reviews on him i read always said he'd be a very complete player, and he also could put sme points on the board but never seemed to get into details about his offensive upside...

Thanks for the hindsight!

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
im not so sure that toews will be a ppg player for a while.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
He's good, but I would be more surprised if he was over a point-per-game than if he were under it. And I don't just mean right away or over his whole career, but also through his prime. It could depend greatly on the management in Chicago. If they don't find a way to screw up their rebuilding process and he ends up surrounded with good players, a point-per-game is reasonable in his prime, which I would put at 25-30. A little earlier than most other players, but not virtuosic. I don't see him becoming a sole number one center, and if they rely on him for that role, it could be a problem. But he could be one of the more desirable second-line centers around.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
toews will be a star. no doubt. consistent 90-110 point player in he's prime. i now a lot of people dont think he has that kind of offensive potential, but i see it in him and i think he has what it takes to dominate every level he plays.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
if toews ever hits 110 pts ill give you a wooden nickel

i didnt say 110+ every season. 90-110. if he hits 90 points a feaw seasons in a row i will still be right. but i really really love toews. he is one of my favorite prospects right now. i love everything about he's game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think Toews will be on the understated side when he makes the NHL. I think he can have a similar initial impact as a Paul Stastny, and possibly peak at about 80-85 points.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He will be a more offensive prime Linden.
I really like Toews game and the Linden comparison. Linden, at his best, was a grating two way player that got about a point per game. Thats what I see Toews doing but I do think that as a style he'll do more with hand skills and sense than Linden did. Kind of like a Linden/ Brad Richards mix.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I always find it funny how people can underrate Toews` offensive potential simply because he is so good defensively. If you actually watch the kid you would know that his vision and offensive instincts are second to none. Offensively, he is as good as any prospect not in the NHL. The only thing that may hold him back is the fact that he will not take chances offensively at the expense of his defense. I think that if he wanted to be more offensive he could put up over 100 points through his prime, but because he puts the team first I think he will put up around 80-90 points.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
So in some ways he is similar to Rod Brind'amour, can put up good numbers offensively while being great defensively...

BeatsPerMinute

Nov 19, 2005
I always find it funny how people can underrate Toews` offensive potential simply because he is so good defensively. If you actually watch the kid you would know that his vision and offensive instincts are second to none. Offensively, he is as good as any prospect not in the NHL. The only thing that may hold him back is the fact that he will not take chances offensively at the expense of his defense. I think that if he wanted to be more offensive he could put up over 100 points through his prime, but because he puts the team first I think he will put up around 80-90 points.

couldn't have said it better myself.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I think it will depend on who Toews plays with. If he centers a healthy Havlat or someone similar in skill and production, I don't see 100 points in a single season as out of the realm of possibility. If he has average linemates, I think he's a 65-80 point guy.

I think his offensive potential is better than what most people are saying, but I don't think he is an elite scorer (which is what a 90-110 point guy is) who can do it all by himself.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
All the people saying Toews can put up 110 points are ridiculous.

There are 7 100 point scorers in the NHL this year. There were 7 last year.

They are:

Thornton (2)
Crosby (2)
Ovechkin
Heatley (2)
Alfredsson
Staal
Jagr
Lecavalier
St. Louis
Sakic
Hossa

Toews does not have the offensive ability of any of those guys. Unless you think scoring is going to increase dramatically over the next decade, Toews will never sniff 110 points.

I see him as a 75-90 point guy consistently while maintaining his excellent all around game. That's nothing to scoff at, but please, let's not overrate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad