Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Trust me bro Edition

What's going on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
The most frustrating part of Drouin's game for me, personally, is that I know he has the tools to be a superstar. Every once in a while when he feels like it, he pulls out some flashy moves and looks incredible . And other times its just blah.

I like Drouin, but I dont think he will ever reach his full potential unfortunately. But, hes definitely with the right linemates right now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki is on an entry level contract for this year plus one more, why would we worry about his next contract? It's probably going to be a bridge deal anyway.

Agreed. I find it comical where some Habs fans are worried about crazy contracts to Suzuki and Kotkaniemi while others like Point, M Tkachuk, Laine, McAvoy, Barzal, Sergachev, were all bridged

* KK probably gets a $3M (+/-) AAV on a 2 or 3 year bridge
* Suzuki might get a higher bridge AAV a year later but it won't be higher than the others I mentioned above.

This is why we must ensure Danault's term is 3 or 4 years taking him to UFA at age 30 or 31. I think this works for Danault and the Habs while we bridge the two young centers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki is on an entry level contract for this year plus one more, why would we worry about his next contract? It's probably going to be a bridge deal anyway.

A young star can have leverage. It depends on the situation. Look what Nylander, Marner, and Matthew's were able to get.

If Suzuki puts up big numbers next year, he could say: pay me my worth or trade me to someone who will. It depends on how well he does, and how he wants to handle the negotiations.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I hope thats gonna not be a bridge deal. You sign him long term. I would be willing to bridge KK, but suzuki its like Bergeron. His value will just growth year by year. Again, there is a lot of hockey between today and the signature of his next contract, but i would sign him long term And eat some ufa year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think only Tatar can come close to match Drouin's skill level to execute plays with Suzuki. Don't think anyone is disagreeing that Suzuki is the main driver, but I think it's obvious that Drouin's talent level matches Suzukis. Despite whatever stats say that he is worse than the offensive blackhole Lehkonen, Drouin has been at his best with Suzuki and he's one of the few players talented enough to keep up with Suzuki.

They feed on each other and Drouin is the playmaker on this line.

Reactions: Pickles and Hins77

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
A young star can have leverage. It depends on the situation. Look what Nylander, Marner, and Matthew's were able to get.

If Suzuki puts up big numbers next year, he could say: pay me my worth or trade me to someone who will. It depends on how well he does, and how he wants to handle the negotiations.

I think we're looking at his all wrong. It's a stance of conflict, not negotiations.

Why people should worry about Suzuki's contract (more so than KK's, who will undoubtedly be bridged) is that, if Suzuki shows consistent progression throughout this year and next, we should, perhaps, look to benefit from a smaller long term Cap hit by signing him long term and factoring in RFA years remaining to bring down the AAV (provided he's willing to sign long term for the security, unlike the recent 5-years trend for young star players)

In the short to medium term, it means making sure there is Cap space to extend Suzuki, keep aligning quality depth and have enough left over to extend\bridge other youngsters.

You set your prospect hierarchy and, if Suzuki is to be your #1C, it is reasonable that you priorritize his case and bridge other prospects.

In the late medium to long term, you will benefit from added flexibility to keep icing a contender for more years because of his lower AAV.

We saw it with Subban -- bridging Star players will come to bite you in the arse down the line, with huge AAVs to cripple your Cap.

I

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If there's any year to not hate on Drouin, it's this one. Yeah, he cost us a goal against the Leafs on a flukey ass play and he cost Allen the shut out against the Oil. Other than that, he's been fine.

He seems like he finally realizes this isn't Junior and his game looks a lot more simplified than it has in previous years. I'm not a fan of him normally but this year I haven't had many complaints.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Well, last year when the pp was struggling, they put Weal, Armia and Danault on the pp. They scored a few goals where the half wall player passed it down to the goal line player, who then did a one touch pass into the slot for a one-time into the net...

It was a nice move on the breakaway. He's had at least 3 breakaways this year, as I remember off the top of my head 3. Nice he could convert one of them...

ya, what a loser onky able to score on 1 of 3 breakaways at the NHL level

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
6 points in 6 games and people still want to get rid of him. Well, at least you guys are consistent.

I personally like what I've seen from him in the bubble and this season.

My question is, why do people focus too much on bad plays?

I think people just basically wait for him to make a bad play and just run with it. Sounds like an agenda to me.

So far, I have seen Toffoli, Gally, even Suzuki and KK, Weber, Romanov, Petry make a bad play that resulted to GA. Hell, even McDavid, Drai, Reilly, Petterson have made a bad play that contributed to them losing games.

Haters gonna hate

Its the same with Price, won 5-2 last game, yet some people attacked him because he let the Canucks back in the game. Apparently shots tipped in the slot, and shots that you dont see are softies.

Reactions: No More Subban

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
If there's any year to not hate on Drouin, it's this one. Yeah, he cost us a goal against the Leafs on a flukey ass play and he cost Allen the shut out against the Oil. Other than that, he's been fine.

He seems like he finally realizes this isn't Junior and his game looks a lot more simplified than it has in previous years. I'm not a fan of him normally but this year I haven't had many complaints.

Like I said earlier, the difference is he is skating. You dont see him gliding and floating around as much, he's getting involved.
I think he realized rather quickly that this year's team isnt like the past, they all work, the skill level is higher and if he just drags his feet around he is gonna stick out like a sore thumb

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I don't even really blame him for those two plays. The Leafs game was just plain bad luck and sure, while he could had been more aware of that situation, the official was in the right spot, wrong time, or however you want to look at it. That Oilers' goal was just a bad play overall and if anything, Suzuki is a little to blame as well.

I do agree he's simplifying his game and isn't doing all that junior shit with trying to deke 4 plyers and dangle down low. Playing with a high IQ player like Suzuki helps though.

Reactions: Runner77

HeussLenfoire

Jan 21, 2021
I wouldn't call him a loser. I just don't see it as exceptional.

You were giving your opinion about EP40 and debating before someone told you that he’s not a winger but a center, and then yo uadmitted that you disn’t see him play more than a few games. So we can conclude that every opinion you have is not trustworthy. Have a good day.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You were giving your opinion about EP40 and debating before someone told you that he’s not a winger but a center, and then yo uadmitted that you disn’t see him play more than a few games. So we can conclude that every opinion you have is not trustworthy. Have a good day.

Ha, lol, every opinion is untrustworthy because of one opinion.

Good conclusion. Very logical reasoning on your part.

You need to understand that most opinions on here are based on limited viewing. We all have lives and do this sporadically in our free time. Some who have opinions fail to realize this about their own opinions.

Have a good day. And thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Exactly this. Drouin is competing hard this year, he is more involved in the play, he put much more effort defensively and is bringing more to the table than he cost to the team... If he can stay healthy, he will be a very important player for us...

Reactions: Andrei79 and Deebs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
What I've noticed so far is that drouin doesn't seem to hold on long to the puck anymore, which I mean as a compliment. I notice the puck alot more on Suzuki, and Anderson.

It's a far cry from his time at center when he would try to deke the entire team on a rush up the ice.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

But if he’s as good as people claim he won’t get a bridge deal.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Suzuki but if you’re selling him as a game changer now then he won’t get a bridge deal. Can’t have it both ways.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

It would be foolish for Suzuki to do that, we have a flat cap for the foreseeable future, why not take a bridge deal and see what happens to the league in terms of economic recovery? In today's landscape I don't think that the Leafs trio gets anywhere near the money they got back then.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
But if he’s as good as people claim he won’t get a bridge deal.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Suzuki but if you’re selling him as a game changer now then he won’t get a bridge deal. Can’t have it both ways.
It's a different world now, the NHL will remain cautious cap wise for the next few years, he would be wise to take a bridge deal and maybe in 3 years the cap is up and then he can get paid.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It would be foolish for Suzuki to do that, we have a flat cap for the foreseeable future, why not take a bridge deal and see what happens to the league in terms of economic recovery? In today's landscape I don't think that the Leafs trio gets anywhere near the money they got back then.

Yeah, the covid situation may definitely affect the 2022-2023 market, as it did the 2020-2021 market. We'll see. Seattle is bringing another 81.5M into the system, so I'm already curious to see how that affects the market. They may be able to swoop up the top UFA's this summer, or a lot of secondary, but good UFA's. They have the cap space to offer salaries at pre-covid levels.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah, the covid situation may definitely affect the 2022-2023 market, as it did the 2020-2021 market. We'll see. Seattle is bringing another 81.5M into the system, so I'm already curious to see how that affects the market. They may be able to swoop up the top UFA's this summer, or a lot of secondary, but good UFA's. They have the cap space to offer salaries at pre-covid levels.
I can see the cap staying as it is for the next 3-5 years. It has been said that many owners were willing to sit out this season instead of playing because they would lose less money than they will by playing. You probably know better than I do how much an NHL franchise relies on gate revenue to make money. The league does not have a good tv deal and struggles to be relevant in some of the markets they are currently playing in south of the border.

It will take years for the league to bounce back from this. The days of the big money contract are on pause for now, Suzuki won't be demanding a massive deal because it won't be there to get.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can see the cap staying as it is for the next 3-5 years. It has been said that many owners were willing to sit out this season instead of playing because they would lose less money than they will by playing. You probably know better than I do how much an NHL franchise relies on gate revenue to make money. The league does not have a good tv deal and struggles to be relevant in some of the markets they are currently playing in south of the border.

It will take years for the league to bounce back from this. The days of the big money contract are on pause for now, Suzuki won't be demanding a massive deal because it won't be there to get.

That makes sense, but look what Pietrangelo got in Vegas - even though they were up against the cap.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Gate revenue isn't going to be back to normal I think until 2023-2024 at the earliest. Definitely not next season, which we may see less than 50% capacity at best, and I think 2022-2023 maybe 75%.

No idea how negotiations are going or will go but the NHL' current deal ends after this season.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Gate revenue isn't going to be back to normal I think until 2023-2024 at the earliest. Definitely not next season, which we may see less than 50% capacity at best, and I think 2022-2023 maybe 75%.

No idea how negotiations are going or will go but the NHL' current deal ends after this season.
There is definitely a new normal facing some NHL clubs moving forward and based on your capacity estimates I can see quite a few teams wanting to stay well under the 81 million dollar cap. I also just read that the NBC sports network is shutting down at the end of 2021 and quite a few NHL games are telecast on that network south of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad