Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - So comman Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Well I guess you can call it mature, or maybe something else.
Drouin is obviously very talented. He can display some serious skills, but the fact he can't do it consistently...what do you call that? We can say the same for Patches. He's undeniably has a lethal shot, but what makes him unable to crack the 45-50 mark to reach the higher echelon? I don't think I'd call it maturity.

Drouin represents the difference between skill and talent. IMO, it's not much of a stretch to say that Drouin is more skilled than Pastrnak. Pastrnak is incomparably better, though. That difference is talent.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Small on paper sure, but I think it would work. When lines not only have complementary skills but also an identity that's when they really click.

No one to play center of take a faceoff.
No sniper.
No big body for screening.
Two playmakers and a grinder.

I dont see at all what that line has going for it actually.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
That sounds good. The problem with that is doing things over 82gp is incomparable to doing it over 20 games.
That is the difference between an elite top liner and a top 6 guy. Consistency at the highest point.

Right? The actual top guys have 2ppg 10 game stretches as their highs and .5ppg as their lows. Taking the high of mediocre #1C and extrapolating that over a season as what Drouin could be is entirely unrealistic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Probably because no one else on the team since Pacioretty has scored 30 regularly, has been able to crack to 25-30 goal mark with any consistency?

Other than Pacioretty...only Galchenyuk (once) and Gallagher (once) have ever cracked 25+.

We're talking what? 6-7yrs?
That wasn't the point though.
I was discussing how some guys are clearly skilled but they simply cannot reach that higher level. I was suggesting those type of players need to be surrounded properly for them to reach their true max. They cannot do it by themselves.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Right? The actual top guys have 2ppg 10 game stretches as their highs and .5ppg as their lows. Taking the high of mediocre #1C and extrapolating that over a season as what Drouin could be is entirely unrealistic.
Age is the only reason some still hope for it, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think what we saw is what we will get out of Drouin.
Perhaps, he will have the random awesome years like some guys do, generally speaking though, I expect him to be a 50ish point player, defensively liable, inconsistent but definitely top 6 material.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
For what it’s worth IMO Drouin’s biggest drawback is his lack of work ethic and sense of entitlement. Until he overcomes those problems he will never be elite. And don’t ever mention him in the sense breath as Seguin, Seguin had a shock when he was traded from Boston, settled himself down and worked hard, last season Hitchcock expanded his game defensively, Seguin will always be better than Drouin.

Drouin only improved at the end of the season when he was put with Gallagher but then everyone did (maybe he’s really scary and not the happy kid lol). Until Drouin stops thinking he’s God’s gift and works at his game he will never be what a lot of posters are expecting him to be.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I think drouin will bounce back

Expect a 20 g 30 a type of season on the wing

That's not what I call a bounce back season.

He had 46 pts in 77 games, which translate to 49 in a 82 games season. If he only gets that on the wing, I'd be another bad season from him.

With his talent and offensive opportunities that he will get, anything under 60 pts would be a disappointment for Drouin.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
No, him and his 36 even strength points, that's the same number of points Gallagher got.

More assists but less goals. It doesn't make us any better at 5 on 5... especially for a team that is in need for goals. Without Galchenyuk and likely Pacioretty.. This team is in serious lack of goal scorer. Bringing a player that scored 4 5 on 5 goals in 82 goals is not what I call a step in the right direction.

I'm not saying he's a bad player. He'd probably be one of our best players... but still a 50 pts player. I just see this trade as a fill a hole but creates another hole.. We traded a 50 pts player for a 50 pts player. One is a better playmaker, the other is a better goal scorer.. and imo, a goal scorer more important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles and ArtPeur

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I want to see....
Drouin Danault Gallagher
Pacioretty Domi Scherbak
Hudon Plekanec Lehkonen
Byron Peca Armia

What you think?
Might even switch Peca and Plekanec if Peca shows some skill out of the gate

Hopefully Jack Hughes is as good as advertised.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It aint the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog! (well in at least 2 of them)

In a life or death situation i'm gonna put my money on the 2nd dog tank you very much.

small-dog-aggression-towards-larger-dogs-54366b4f108d4.jpg

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I want to see....
Drouin Danault Gallagher
Pacioretty Domi Scherbak
Hudon Plekanec Lehkonen
Byron Peca Armia

What you think?
Might even switch Peca and Plekanec if Peca shows some skill out of the gate

Lol it's just...it's just so bad. That's not a criticism of your line making ability either, this particular turd is just a bit too loose to polish.

Are the dogs trying to get the puck in the corner? Cuz I'd bet on a dog named Gallagher or Domi over any other forwards on our roster.

I think Armia could take 'em. He's a filthy puck thief. 41 takeaways in about 10 minutes of 5v5 ice time last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad