Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin and Dom are The Tank Commanders.

Pretty much.

* Guys like Drouin, Byron, Eddy, Savard and maybe even Lehkonen and Dvorak stay during the rebuild.
* Suzuki, Anderson, Caufield, Poehling, Evans, Romanov, Clague as pieces we retain past the rebuild (maybe not all but most).
* Norlinder, Harris, Brook, Ylonen, Vejdemo, and others get a shot at making the roster moving forward.
* Maybe sign a few guys here and there to fill the gaps.
* Price, Gallagher, Petry traded for futures and we retain as much as we can to get the best futures return possible.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Pretty much.

* Guys like Drouin, Byron, Eddy, Savard and maybe even Lehkonen and Dvorak stay during the rebuild.
* Suzuki, Anderson, Caufield, Poehling, Evans, Romanov, Clague as pieces we retain past the rebuild (maybe not all but most).
* Norlinder, Harris, Brook, Ylonen, Vejdemo, and others get a shot at making the roster moving forward.
* Price, Gallagher, Petry traded for futures and we retain as much as we can to get the best futures return possible.
Do you think Price wants to stay or go? 50/50 for me....not sure what way he will choose.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unless we move all of Gallagher, Toffoli, Anderson, and Hoffman he will be. I really don't know how this is debatable. Drouin has been a permanent fixture in the top 6 since he was traded to Montreal outside of a few weeks at the end of 18-19, if they keep him at 5.5M he will be a top 6 forward again in 22-23. I don't think Hoffman or Anderson are moving so the biggest plausible changes are likely Gallagher and Toffoli traded, at which point if Drouin is sticking in the top 6 with Anderson + Hoffman that pretty much by definition means he's holding on to a spot in the top 6 that could otherwise go to another player such as Ylonen or Caufield or make room for both.

I also didn't just say younger player. I said a free agent, a reclamation project, etc. Lots of options that we can try. Maybe it's a soft FA market and you can get Rakell or Niederreiter on a 1 year deal and give them a shot. Maybe some of our deadline deals involve 21/22 year old forwards coming back instead of picks or U20 prospects and we can give those guys a chance. You could find someone who's coming off an injury and give them a chance to recover and trade them at the deadline, whatever. I don't think it's a big problem and like I said I wouldn't pay to move him, but if it's possible to move him for a late pick I'd rather do that and give the minutes to someone else.

Who is Drouin blocking cause he only has one more season left after this year? Even if we are not able to move all of Gallagher, Toffoli, Hoffman, I don't see Drouin as a problem like you do. Not with a rebuild strategy. And no, I'm moving Anderson. He is part of my core after the rebuild.... unless we get an offer we can't refuse type thing.

Ylonen is the closest guy ready. What other forwards do we have that Drouin blocks next season?
Seems like you are too desperate to move him

Anderson / Suzuki / Caufield
Drouin / Dvorak / Armia
Pezzetta / Evans / Byron
Lehkonen / Poehling / Ylonen

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Drouin and Dom are The Tank Commanders.
Drouin is only 1 goal and 1 assist behind our best player Suzuki and has played quite a few games less. He actually has about a 35% edge over Suzuki for points\60 minutes played this season so far.
Hate him all you want, but his numbers are not helping the tank, we have quite a few guys who are contributing a whole lot more to that objective.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you think Price wants to stay or go? 50/50 for me....not sure what way he will choose.

I feel like if we rebuild (remains to be seen), all of Price, Gallagher, and Petry will want out but before we even make any moves, Gorton and the new GM will have to come up with a rebuild strategy and get Molson to approve. If we head down a rebuild road, they will have meetings with those 3 vets and mutually agree that they deserve a shot a chasing another cup with another team while we get futures.

I doubt those vets will want to drown in a rebuild like Lundqvist. Personally, I think Price is tired of being leaned on heavy over and over again. He needs to be on a contender and you watch him perform when he is not the sole star his team is leaning on so much

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin is only 1 goal and 1 assist behind our best player Suzuki and has played quite a few games less. He actually has about a 35% edge over Suzuki for points\60 minutes played this season so far.
Hate him all you want, but his numbers are not helping the tank, we have quite a few guys who are contributing a whole lot more to that objective.

I remember when Hudon had good numbers in a tank year (KK draft I believe) and we though he was going to be a part of our team moving forward. I don't hate Drouin and I see what you are saying (He's not a horrible player but he has flaws) but Drouin is a good player that helps our tank. He can put up his points and we still loose the game.

Why would we move him cause he's not blocking anybody and he only has one more year left in term. We going to move Drouin for "whatever" and sign someone better? What we trying to do here, be a bubble team again or tank/rebuild? :sarcasm:

Reactions: NORiculous

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dom is driving the bus, and JD is helping, don't kid yourself. You simply have to actually watch the kid play, with his conditional try here and there.................no one denies his talent, he has no drive...none.............
No hate here, just simply tired of the 5 years he has been here, all the while making excuses for his half a$$ed performance.....
We are the 31st place team..............NO one is playing well.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Flower10

Dec 18, 2021
He's the best scorer on this team. It's a shame he's not representing the team at all star game with his statistics and personnal experience. I just wish him he can quit this f* team and play to his top elite talent with a good team !

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Pretty much.

agree with getting rid of Price. Petry and Gallagher if you can with their big contracts and lack of production. Looks like JP with the TOI they gave him today might be on the block according to all the rumors out there.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I would say maybe 50/50 probably more to the story then what is being told to the media.
Considering he is not taking any questions or even just a one on one sit down with a member of the press makes it difficult to navigate the situation. I understand protecting his privacy but the whole thing is shrouded in mystery. The most information being given out is very censored and then you have his wife's blog post so read between the lines on all of that.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
He's the best scorer on this team. It's a shame he's not representing the team at all star game with his statistics and personnal experience. I just wish him he can quit this f* team and play to his top elite talent with a good team !
He is also playing around 2 and 1/2 less minutes a game then Suzuki. He had an average of 17:30ish to Suzuki’s 20:00ish.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Does it really matter?

It's not like he has any leverage to force a trade. Either he plays & stays, plays damn well & creates a market that allows Gorton/GM to move him, or goes LTIR.

If he does want out or doesn't want to waste 3-4 yrs of his remaining career on a rebuild, he's gotta know that a public attempt to force a trade won't end well for him.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Does it really matter?

It's not like he has any leverage to force a trade. Either he plays & stays, plays damn well & creates a market that allows Gorton/GM to move him, or goes LTIR.

If he does want out or doesn't want to waste 3-4 yrs of his remaining career on a rebuild, he's gotta know that a public attempt to force a trade won't end well for him.

I'd waive him. See ya. Free to play elsewhere, even if elsewhere is Laval. Maybe that's why Gorton didn't call to interview me for the vacant GM position.

74 others

Jul 3, 2015
Montreal
If I were GM and somebody offered me a 5th round pick for Drouin, I take it and send the guy that sent me the 5th a Christmas card every single year until the day I die.
Drouin is on a 50 points pace this season which is not that bad considering his contract. Gallagher, Petry, Dvorak and others have worst contracts.

The problem is not Drouin, the problem is that we have three perimeter players in Drouin, Hoffman and Caufield.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Drouin is on a 50 points pace this season which is not that bad considering his contract. Gallagher, Petry, Dvorak and others have worst contracts.

The problem is not Drouin, the problem is that we have three perimeter players in Drouin, Hoffman and Caufield.
So CC is more of an issue than drouin? The fact he is 5.5 million perimeter player is a problem. What the other are doing doesn't change that fact. And we have had 5 years of this garbage.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'd waive him. See ya. Free to play elsewhere, even if elsewhere is Laval. Maybe that's why Gorton didn't call to interview me for the vacant GM position.

I guess it could degenerate to that if it had to... but I doubt Price is silly enough to paint himself into that kind of corner.

If he wants to play, he'll honor his contract & his teammates and be a top tier goalie on a bad team for us until a trade materializes... if he doesn't, he'll go the ltir route and keep cashing chewues while moving on to other things... I don't see him playing the petulant card

Reactions: Habs13

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Hate drouin all you want but caufield pure garbage his year. Had so much hope for him after the playoffs. But caufield whiffs on 2-3 shots a game, losing control of the puck 5x a game. He’s up there with KK falling on his skates

Reactions: amethyst

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I could see Wash as a destination for Drouin that could work out for him...

He's got the skills & vision to play with their elite offense, and riding shotgun as a complimentary piece is exactly the right scenario to make the most of his strengths & shelter his flaws.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

It's more than points the problem with Drouin and we all know it.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
He has a no move clause. You can't send him to Laval. It wouldn't even be worth the savings if you could because then you'd need to find a better goalie for under a million bucks to replace him.

Reactions: Habs13

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I hear the Swiss league isn't too fussy, they gave DD a job.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Drouin is not a perfect hockey player by any means, but Jesus, some of you would find a way to turn a story of him saving a baby from a house fire into something negative.

Such a selfish thing for Drouin to condemn that baby to live in this wretched world, and notice how he made sure we all saw that he ''saved'' this baby. Typical.

Reactions: Archijerej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad