Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
First of all Drouin and Suzuki are nothing alike. Drouin is purely an offensive perimeter player. Suzuki is a two-way C who doesn't shy away from trafic.

Secondly, Drouin was playing for an offensive powerhouse on a line with Kucherov. Suzuki is the one who actually makes the success of his line. He performs with anyone at anytime. He scores goals. He makes plays. He backchecks.

Then, quality of both players aside, Tampa had like a gazillion of offensive prospects in the pipeline. Montreal has nothing in the system that even comes close to Suzuki.

Finally, Sergachev and Broberg are nothing alike. Sergachev has way more tools and upside than Broberg will ever have.

So yeah. I think it's a poor comparaison.
I never compare drouin type of player versus Suzuki like you mentionned. I compared theirs « status » in their club respectively. Drouin. You like or not. Was value like a futur all star winger and many pretty sure Yzerman did received a lot of calls for him cause every Gm knew there was a problem in Tampa. . Making 53 pts at 21 years old. Odds are favorable. Let alone drouin issue off ice. Caufield make 55 point next year (will be 21) and pretty sure you won’t trade him. Sergachev was the price at that time. thats sad, but you woudlnt get drouin for a 3rd pick at that time

Reactions: 74 others

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I just have this feeling he's primed for a breakout campaign next season. Drouin-Suzuki-Caufield. Watch that line, it's gonna be one of the best in the NHL.

Good one. There is no way this guy is back. He will either be taken by Seattle or traded. And then, maybe, he'd rebound.

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
There is a nice analogy between Mike Hoffman and Jo Drouin. I heard that story at on jase with Guy Boucher. Mike hoffman were known for some off ice issue. He started in the OHL, continued into the Q. Clearly that guy had offensive skill, but he was like Drouin. No defensive awarness. Attitude soso. Poor defensively. Etc. Guy boucher brought him to Drummondville. He learned to him, many things to become a pro. He exploded offensively and statistcaly. Maybe you could say he produced because he was playing on a powerhouse team with Riendeau/masse? Maybe. but now, obviously, we can say this guy had a pretty good NHL career. So every path to every player are different. Maybe montreal tought they were going to make something good with Drouin. Off ice issue can dissapear. He can improves defensively. Many facts can change a career than most of us don’t know at all. Hoffman, did he produces because he was playing for a powerhouse or because he was the best player? Riendeau and masse didnt nothing in the NHL. Masse had drugs problems. Drouin to Halifax. No one would bet Ehlers was going to have a better carreer than Drouin. When some poster are saying : « This guys produce because of that guy » Thats make me crazy. Euhh. How you know it? We Are starting to think the main reason why Jack Hughes were producing is Caufield, and not the opposite. Its sometime quite easy today to declare somethings. But when we are going back. Thats not clear at all

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Friendly wager that he stays and puts up 70 points next year?
I don’t think he’s moved either. I think he’s either back on the ice with the CH or placed on LTIR to get the help he deserves. I don’t see any circumstance where he is moved tbh.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think he’s moved either. I think he’s either back on the ice with the CH or placed on LTIR to get the help he deserves. I don’t see any circumstance where he is moved tbh.

I can see multiple different outcomes. There is no obvious path here IMO.

- Seattle
- LTIR for another year
- Retires
- Traded.
- Comes back to play for the Habs.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Friendly wager that he stays and puts up 70 points next year?
He has never done this.............never.
I think the guy is done.........LTIR for the next two years.....hope not, but it sure looks that way. Don't think he gets traded, no one will want this guy....seems to be trouble wherever he goes.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has played in the NHL for 7 years...............and he is primed for a breakout next year? OK...

Not probable but I have been on the record at saying Drouin may be a late on the maturity scale. Then he goes on LTIR due to mental illness issues? :facepalm:. Age 26 season coming up and if he's with the Habs, I would expect another 50 pts season (+/-).

I strongly feel Drouin needs to be on a team with more physical forwards with size and especially at center. I think he slides in well with a team like that. Might be Seattle and I feel the Habs will try their best to make that happen for Drouin and for the Habs. A change is required but can they pull it off? Not sure.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not probable but I have been on the record at saying Drouin may be a late on the maturity scale. Then he goes on LTIR due to mental illness issues? :facepalm:. Age 26 season coming up and if he's with the Habs, I would expect another 50 pts season (+/-).

I strongly feel Drouin needs to be on a team with more physical forwards with size and especially at center. I think he slides in well with a team like that. Might be Seattle and I feel the Habs will try their best to make that happen for Drouin and for the Habs. A change is required but can they pull it off? Not sure.
Would love to see him gone............how do we pull that off? Offer a 2nd with him?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would love to see him gone............how do we pull that off? Offer a 2nd with him?

A 3rd might work but if we were Seattle's GM, we are looking at those two 2nd's and demand one of them. Start with the 3rd (or two 3rds) and then possibly move to the 2nd. I'd be down with that.

I think this is probable. How many teams will have offensive PP guys like Drouin available? I don't see too many options for Seattle there. Drouin could provide value for them in that area. People will say Drouin sucks (blah, blah, blah) but I don't feel NHL management sees is that way and they understand the areas he is good at and the areas he is not.

Good news is there is no more signing bonus money to be paid. It's straight up $5.5M for two more years.

The other option is to try to move him for a similar contract. People going to flip out on this but Gostisbehere. If you want Drouin traded, this type of return is something we would have to consider.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
A 3rd might work but if we were Seattle's GM, we are looking at those two 2nd's and demand one of them. Start with the 3rd (or two 3rds) and then possibly move to the 2nd. I'd be down with that.
Still not convinced that Ron Francis will bite on a soft perimeter style player...here's hoping.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Still not convinced that Ron Francis will bite on a soft perimeter style player...here's hoping.

Almost every team has them... problem is we have too much.

I think they will value the picks with Drouin for 2 years. Less pressure and they could flip him for more picks when he is a pending UFA (if he rebounds with a new team).

However, like I said, I can see many different outcomes and it's difficult to guess

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wow, quite the kind soul you have.

They are facts. I have supported him and I still do to some degree. You need to pay attention a bit more. Saying that I felt he was going to be late on the maturity scale (NHL player maturity that is) but he goes on LTIR right around his prime (age 26) are facts. The timing of this is not good when you consider he is 26 and should be a fully matured as a NHL player. I have my doubts he bust out on our team bud.

I don't think he sucks like others do but at this stage, I feel he needs a change. Maybe he can bust out on another team without our fan base following him around like a black cloud all the time. Not all players can overcome this type of pressure and how our fan base has been watching for him to make his next mistake.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They are facts. I have supported him and I still do to some degree. You need to pay attention a bit more. Saying that I felt he was going to be late on the maturity scale (NHL player maturity that is) but he goes on LTIR right around his prime (age 26) are facts. The timing of this is not good when you consider he is 26 and should be a fully matured as a NHL player. I have my doubts he bust out on our team bud.

I don't think he sucks like others do but at this stage, I feel he needs a change. Maybe he can bust out on another team without our fan base following him around like a black cloud all the time.

You know the way your other post was written insinuate that mental issues are due to a lack of maturity?

Reactions: Canadiens98

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Take your 20 million$ bank account (or whatever he has left) and your youth, health and live a beautiful, fulfilled life as a young retiree. I have friends suffering through depression with kids on their lap trying to manage work/life balance with a 60-80k job. Good luck to him, get healthy and step away, man. Why in the world someone this incredibly rich and young would keep working for a living? In the entertainment business of all things. There are a infinite ways to emancipate one’s self that don’t involve trying to get a piece of rubber in a net and being exposed to public opinion for it; even saying it sounds so obvious and dumb.

As for the habs, I can’t imagine watching much hockey in the coming years, as they play anti-hockey (and not that well). I really hope somehow they land another, better, offensive left winger and puck moving LD, even if it’s just so they are worth the price of a ticket at Bell center again at some point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You know the way your other post was written insinuate that mental issues are due to a lack of maturity?

Not what I meant and not what I said. I can't control comprehension.

Previously to his LTIR this past season, I said he may be late on the NHL maturity scale. He's not the only NHL player to have a possible short prime window of 25-30 range. This is not a mean thing to say. It happens to a lot of NHL players. Petry is one example. Drouin just started in the NHL earlier

Now I am saying that my hopes that he busts out in his age 25+ years have diminished cause he went on LTIR at age 26. Right at the time I was expected better hockey from him.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021

I don't think he sucks like others do but at this stage, I feel he needs a change. Maybe he can bust out on another team without our fan base following him around like a black cloud all the time. Not all players can overcome this type of pressure and how our fan base has been watching for him to make his next mistake.
"He was going to be late on the maturity scale but he goes on LTIR". Bro, mental illness affects people of all ages. Mental illness also can affect people physically. I'm glad Jo to0k this time off, it's clear he needed it if he felt it was necessary to leave the sport and team he loves. I think he'll be much better off for it. That's why I'm saying I think he's primed for a breakout campaign next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
"He was going to be late on the maturity scale but he goes on LTIR". Bro, mental illness affects people of all ages. Mental illness also can affect people physically. I'm glad Jo to0k this time off, it's clear he needed it if he felt it was necessary to leave the sport and team he loves. I think he'll be much better off for it. That's why I'm saying I think he's primed for a breakout campaign next season.

I could have done a better job to write that but I also believe you didn't comprehended it well enough.

I'm with you on his defense but not at your level.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The fact his teammates didn't speak of him once in the playoffs is telling. Normally, there would've been support, saying things like "we're doing this for Joe" but nothing. This tells me Drouin said unsavory things about either management and/or his teammates when it all went down and left in warmup.

When Drouin left, Ducharme and Danault both made comments along the lines about not thinking about hockey with him but thinking about the person. Guys on the team likely want to respect his privacy, especially given how ridiculous the media in Montreal can be.

Teammates will speak up all the time if a player on their team is out with a hockey injury (like they did with Evans these playoffs), but this would be a totally different circumstance.

Reactions: Canadiens98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad