Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin: "In an ideal world he's a winger," Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I will never get over this.
Have an organizational need to find a center. It's been over a decade without a legit center. Draft a big skilled center at 3rd overall, yasss!! We use him on the wing despite this need...:facepalm:
Trade for a skilled winger....use him at center...:facepalm: :facepalm:
What the **** is wrong with these ****ing idiots? Are they doing this on purpose?

100 % agree.

Drouin needs an offensive centre with speed and a high hockey IQ to be effective.

And I will never understand this organizatons hatred of Galchenyuk. Its not right how they treated and developed him. The guy scored 30 goals....if you didnt believe he was legit, why not trade him at that point when his value was high?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Just the most reason glaring boneheaded moves ....... many more to come.

Life Long Hab Fan says............. GO BRUINS

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I find it interesting that the Drouin-boosting narrative when he was acquired was:

"He'll be more than the 50-55 point in Montreal because he'll get more opportunities he wasn't getting in Tampa"

but now it's:

"Tampa's a lot better than Montreal so of course Drouin isn't putting up big numbers, the supporting cast isn't strong enough."
Thats called the MB Fans Excuse Machine.

Just keeps churning them out.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
100 % agree.

Drouin needs an offensive centre with speed and a high hockey IQ to be effective.

And I will never understand this organizatons hatred of Galchenyuk. Its not right how they treated and developed him. The guy scored 30 goals....if you didnt believe he was legit, why not trade him at that point when his value was high?
Galchenyuk is going to get traded for 40 cents on the dollar. And it’s going to be hilariously predictable.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I find it interesting that the Drouin-boosting narrative when he was acquired was:

"He'll be more than the 50-55 point in Montreal because he'll get more opportunities he wasn't getting in Tampa"

but now it's:

"Tampa's a lot better than Montreal so of course Drouin isn't putting up big numbers, the supporting cast isn't strong enough."
Thats called the MB Hab Fan Excuse Machine ........ keeps churning them out.

I love how they dont even hear themselves as they stretch for anything......this ones logic seems to be

Well the Habs stink, so obviously Drouin is going to play poorly for them. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I don’t care if he doesn’t produce

He is skilled and that’s what we lack

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Wait. I just realised Drouin has only 3 points more that Galchenyuk even though one been Desharnais’d and the other got sent to the 4th line.

The internal agendas and politics at the club...:laugh:

Yet we were led to believe by the crusaders that Drouin was a vastly superior player to Galchenyuk?

I argued from day one that wasn't the case. But no, no! There is no bias or anything going on here... nothing to see... move along sir...

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Why not just support both players? Galchenyuk and Drouin are going to be the core of the Habs' offence (as centers or wingers) for several more years. It's not a zero-sum game for who succeeds and who doesn't.

There is nothing special about playing center. Just because you aren't playing center doesn't mean you aren't a good player or supported by the organization.

I'm happy that Drouin is being given the opportunity to develop into the #1C role. He's doing very well given the context of this season. I'm happy that Galchenyuk was brought along slowly after some significant struggles and apparent behind the scenes issues, but now gets to play in an offensive role. He's started to gain some more confidence and it looks like Julien is willing to be patient with him.

These two players aren't the problem. How Bergevin has structured the team is the problem.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why not just support both players? Galchenyuk and Drouin are going to be the core of the Habs' offence (as centers or wingers) for several more years. It's not a zero-sum game for who succeeds and who doesn't.

There is nothing special about playing center. Just because you aren't playing center doesn't mean you aren't a good player or supported by the organization.

I'm happy that Drouin is being given the opportunity to develop into the #1C role. He's doing very well given the context of this season. I'm happy that Galchenyuk was brought along slowly after some significant struggles and apparent behind the scenes issues, but now gets to play in an offensive role. He's started to gain some more confidence and it looks like Julien is willing to be patient with him.

These two players aren't the problem. How Bergevin has structured the team is the problem.

I don't have an issue with either player, except that their roles should be flipped.

My issue is 100% behind the politics of the organization

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I don't have an issue with either player, except that their roles should be flipped.

My issue is 100% behind the politics of the organization

Why should their roles be flipped? Drouin is doing quite well and is consistently improving on the defensive side of things. His ability to gain the offensive zone and create offence from that far outpaces Galchenyuk and his playmaking ability as a centre is by far the best on the team. I can see an argument for making Galchenyuk 2C or 1W, but he really hasn't shown anything this year to suddenly be put as 1C.

Galchenyuk's development with a different coach, injuries, a different skillset, and different team around him is not the same as Drouin's situation.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why should their roles be flipped? Drouin is doing quite well and is consistently improving on the defensive side of things. His ability to gain the offensive zone and create offence from that far outpaces Galchenyuk and his playmaking ability as a centre is by far the best on the team. I can see an argument for making Galchenyuk 2C or 1W, but he really hasn't shown anything this year to suddenly be put as 1C.

Galchenyuk's development with a different coach, injuries, a different skillset, and different team around him is not the same as Drouin's situation.

-Drouin hasn't produced as well at Center as Galchenyuk has
-He is not any better defensively at the position, contrary to belief.
-He's not any better at faceoffs
-His lack of production suggests he'd benefit even more by playing wing with more freedom, a position he's played nearly exclusively at the pro level.

There's nothing to suggest Drouin can't play that playmaker role from the wing, Alex Tanguay carved out a hell of a career in that exact same role.

I want to know why it's ok for Desharnais/Drouin to be subpar defensive players at the 1C position but it's not ok for Galchenyuk. I mean seriously? f***ing enlighten me... because right now the reasons don't paint a pretty picture for this organization.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Drouin is not "doing well" at centre and there's no guarantee he'll improve at that position to even equal the level that Galchenyuk has displayed as recently as last season.

It's idiotic to not experiment, particularly with a team that is statistically close to missing the playoffs.

The optics are terrible. Bergevin coronated Drouin as #1C (with zero experience) and proclaimed that his PPG centre from last season isn't a centre.

This smacks of politics and inflexibility. That's no doubt in my mind that this mindset is a substantial contributor to the failings of the team along with the pathetic changes to the roster masterminded by Bergevin.

It's a below average roster playing below average hockey for a well below average GM.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Has Galchenyuk ever had a 15% game on the dot? Because thats exactly what Drouin had against smashville
Probably not. Or else the GDT and PGT would have mentioned it at least a million times. But not one word on Drouin being dead last in the league for faceoffs.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
So after 23 games he has 3 goals. Maybe, just maybe, he isn't a center?

Galchenyuk had an unbelievable stretch at center but he isn't good enough? But 3 goals is? 10 goal season (Pace) is?

This team despite Price, will miss the playoffs.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Habs178

Sep 22, 2007
Ontario
How about he'll learn and get better?
I don’t understand why we take a winger and gift him the 1C role, and we let him learn and get better, but couldn’t do the same for our actual Center Galchy....and instead try to make him a winger. How can you be ok with one and not the other. Makes no sense.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs178

Sep 22, 2007
Ontario
100 % agree.

I don’t like to bring in politics to a hockey discussion, but I firmly believe it’s because of the last name and where they’re from. Was the same thing with DD.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
-Drouin hasn't produced as well at Center as Galchenyuk has
-He is not any better defensively at the position, contrary to belief.
-He's not any better at faceoffs
-His lack of production suggests he'd benefit even more by playing wing with more freedom, a position he's played nearly exclusively at the pro level.

Drouin's on pace for 53 points, the same he had last year, and similar to what Galchenyuk produces (Outside of this year). Also let's not pretend that losing every puck moving defenceman isn't going to hurt Drouin's point totals.

You can't bash Bergevin for letting Markov go while also claiming it doesn't hurt the point totals of guys like Drouin.

There's nothing to suggest Drouin can't play that playmaker role from the wing, Alex Tanguay carved out a hell of a career in that exact same role.

And nothing suggests Galchenyuk can't be a winger. Being able to be successful as a winger doesn't change the fact that both should be playing center.

I want to know why it's ok for Desharnais/Drouin to be subpar defensive players at the 1C position but it's not ok for Galchenyuk. I mean seriously? ****ing enlighten me... because right now the reasons don't paint a pretty picture for this organization.

Agreed it was nonsensical and it looks very much like they care more about having a francophone #1 C above anything else. It's the biggest reason this team isn't going anywhere with Molson in charge. He was the one who made it clear language mattered more then winning.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

The bolded is 100% true, it's not one or the other having multiple talented players is a positive and we should be trying to do what's best for both of them. But it's not just the fans picking one over the other. It all stems from management and their decisions to treat one like a pariah and the other a messiah.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Drouin is super talent and very young. Why try to make it Galchy versus X again... Tremblay should have close his ... (cause he has the relation to know what was going on) but now that we know, the off-ice slow down Galchy more than anything. It's a good think that Beaulieu is out and Galchy start work against his daemons. After a very bad start, he is getting back on a top role on this team. The pariah think don't make any sense. At soon has he get any better, he claim the roster faster then any one. Never lose a PP TOI, alway on the 3vs3.

Galchy had more than 100 games interview as center, Drouin 23.... I only hope that Galchy get back to his 2016 shape. Drouin and him will exploded! Galchy just have to hit the goal! How many opened net did he miss?

Jul 6, 2016
Drouin will be super effective and productive... the day he's gonna be placed on LW where he belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad