Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin: "In an ideal world he's a winger," Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Shoulda taken a gamble on Sergachev if we're gonna insist on playing Drouin at center. On pace for 12 goals, not good enough even with the team in the shitter.

Who's really calling the shots as far as who plays where, MB or Clode? Gotta think a veteran coach word have figured it out by now.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Drouin will never live up to expectations, being traded to Mtl in the middle of a downard spiral will not help... He is a good player lot of skills but not enough to carry a team... Sergachev will be the next Mcdonagh...

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Pretty much everyone here believed we won the trade... you guys did know it involved a top 5 GM vs a bottom 5 one right? You guys did know one of the best organizations chose a smaller 3rd rounder, instead of an exciting 3rd overall right? You guys did know he's an ace on the PP but stuggled to produce 5 on 5 right? Not saying he's a bad player, but we were asking him to be a go-to player, and the odds of that happening were pretty freaking low.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Pretty much everyone here believed we won the trade... you guys did know it involved a top 5 GM vs a bottom 5 one right? You guys did know one of the best organizations chose a smaller 3rd rounder, instead of an exciting 3rd overall right? You guys did know he's an ace on the PP but stuggled to produce 5 on 5 right? Not saying he's a bad player, but we were asking him to be a go-to player, and the odds of that happening were pretty freaking low.
And now we will shit on him to no end.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Feel bad for him... He's a long way from being a dominant player, and may never get there.

The comparison s to sergachev will only keep intensifying.

Another gem of a decision by our clueless GM

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
If the organization never stops pretending he's Sidney Crosby to mask the ineptitude of management and fails to add an actual top C to the squad eventually (via Draft, signing JT or trade), I can see his development stalling and maybe even regressing.

I saw it coming from a mile away, if the team struggled, fans would turn on him because management and PR put immense pressure on him to avoid facing scrutiny this summer. Certainly struggling, but he's not a C nor a go to guy at this point, maybe eventually. But they need to put him in a situation he can succeed in and not keep him at C by default.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
would take him over Sergachev, any day of the week. Couldn't imagine how bad Serg would be on this edition of the Canadiens, it would be awful

Reactions: dralaf

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
would take him over Sergachev, any day of the week. Couldn't imagine how bad Serg would be on this edition of the Canadiens, it would be awful
Disagree 100%.

Sergachev paired with Weber & MB might actually have been able to keep his job...

Reactions: Habs Icing

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017

Based on what ? People are having a hard-on for Victor Mete ; a dude with 3 assists in 22 games while being -2. Nothing special yet we sell him as if he was a top 2 defenceman in the making.
When they drafted Sergachev, they said he had what it took to be the ''next Andrei Markov''.
Sergachev would've learned a lot if he had the opportunity to play with Markov but nope ... let's get rid of both of them !

Drouin floats on the ice.
Imagine if they traded Matt Duchene for Galchenyuk ! I'm puking just thinking about it.

I remember when Bergevin was hired, he said he wanted a team that would be intimidating to play against. Worked out great.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Based on what ? People are having a hard-on for Victor Mete ; a dude with 3 assists in 22 games while being -2. Nothing special yet we sell him as if he was a top 2 defenceman in the making.
When they drafted Sergachev, they said he had what it took to be the ''next Andrei Markov''.
Sergachev would've learned a lot if he had the opportunity to play with Markov but nope ... let's get rid of both of them !

Imagine if they traded Matt Duchene for Galchenyuk ! I'm puking just thinking about it.

I remember when Bergevin was hired, he said he wanted a team that would be intimidating to play against. Worked out great.
Facts

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
...management and PR put immense pressure on him to avoid facing scrutiny this summer.

That's a great point and it's another sign that management has an adversarial relationship with its own players.

The deal seemed to be presented as, "Here he is! Here's our savior!" Bergie made it happen! And if it doesn't work out, the blame is to be found....."in that room."

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

All is fine and dandy playing with that Tampa team, everything is great. Put Serg here, and he's losing all confidence, -15 and struggling like the rest.

Mete shouldn't be here, its a sign of how bad our blueline is.

Reactions: rickthegoon

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Sergachev was obviously the highest bid and TB jumped at it. I guess when Bergy hears a name like "Drouin" the sky's the limit!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Drouin wasn't even on Tampa's trading block this summer, reports in the summer said him and Cooper had finally repaired things, Stamkos called him a core player on the team - I wouldn't be surprised if MB looked at Tampa's cap situation, tried beat the curve and offered Serg for Drouin thinking Tampa would've had to move on from one of their 3 RFA's. Yzerman wasn't shopping Drouin, MB came up to him and offered Serg for Drouin which just looks dumb.

Looking back on post trade quotes I'm leaning more towards this assumption.

MB:
"When you have the chance to get your hands on a player of Jonathan's talent at a young age, it's very important," Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said of the 22-year-old from Ste-Agathe, Quebec. "This opportunity probably hasn't been available to me in five years. Plus, he's a kid from here, so for me it was a decision I had to make.
"Giving up Sergachev was not easy, but acquiring Jonathan was a chance we couldn't pass up."

Yzerman:
"We were looking for that type of player and we were able to find a fit. That's why the trade was made. The Montreal Canadiens were looking for a forward. That was the forward they targeted from us."

Reactions: Electricity

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
If the organization never stops pretending he's Sidney Crosby to mask the ineptitude of management and fails to add an actual top C to the squad eventually (via Draft, signing JT or trade), I can see his development stalling and maybe even regressing.

I saw it coming from a mile away, if the team struggled, fans would turn on him because management and PR put immense pressure on him to avoid facing scrutiny this summer. Certainly struggling, but he's not a C nor a go to guy at this point, maybe eventually. But they need to put him in a situation he can succeed in and not keep him at C by default.

i tried to find where the habs managementn made any comments to put more pressure on him and the only thing i found was this quote by MB after the trade

"The chance to put your hands on a player like that, at that age, and a guy from here, I can't pass that up. We gave up a lot but I'm convinced we got back a big piece."

no big deal

fans turn on him beceause they have big expectations for JD, and they should have big expection cuz he's got tremendous skill, but like i said before.....it is way way too soon to judge him only 23 game with us and with the kind of season we have so far doesnt help, same thing with sergatchev, it's only 20 games

it's like anything else in life nowadays, we want it and we want it now......doesnt always work that way

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Don't be too hard on JD. He was traded to a bad team who got half his D changed for lesser D.
We ask him to play center while he's more a winger. Can't blame him if Bergevin never got a legit center in 5 years and the same in Gainey-Gauthier era.

It's only 21 games and he's only 22 y. If eventually MB can make a trade to get a true #1 center we will see a very different Drouin.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Even though he's been terrible in the last 2-3 games, I'm still OK with the trade.

He's playing with two talented but very dumb players in MaxPac and Galchy, and when trying to become a 1st line center, that may be hard.

He'd look better playing on the wing, even if Shaw, Plekanec or Danault is the center.

***Posting this from the great Internet Explorer, since this site still brings Chrome to a crawl***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad