Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Yes, you said it....Dahlen was traded just nine months after the Sens drafted him....basically dealt one-for-one for an aging 35-year old winger on an expiring contract....so in assessing why their GM Pierre Dorion would make such a deal, there's only two explanations....he's either the dumbest GM on the planet, or his scouts told him that Dahlen was an undersized scoring winger who projected at best to be a third our fourth liner if he made the NHL at all. Obviously Jimbo and the Canuck scouts are betting differently....but given their track record, are you really all that confident?

Then why would the Sens scouting who are solid especially on the European side spend a second round pick on him if they thought that.

After going at a PPG pace in the Allsvenskan and having a great WJC, you think their scouts came to that conclusion.... doubt it.

The trade reminds me of the Filip Forsberg trade. Or the Gustav Forsling trade. A recently drafted prospect that is traded by a desperate GM.

Dorion 100% overpaid on Burrows intangibles/leadership and playoff experience.

And yes I am confident in Dahlen as a prospect. Had him as a first rounder for the 2016 draft.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Then why would the Sens scouting who are solid especially on the European side spend a second round pick on him if they thought that.

After going at a PPG pace in the Allsvenskan and having a great WJC, you think their scouts came to that conclusion.... doubt it.

The trade reminds me of the Filip Forsberg trade. Or the Gustav Forsling trade. A recently drafted prospect that is traded by a desperate GM.

Dorion 100% overpaid on Burrows intangibles/leadership and playoff experience.

And yes I am confident in Dahlen as a prospect. Had him as a first rounder for the 2016 draft.

So.....then why has he been hidden away? Sent off packing to where the team we bought for player development, can't develop him?

BTW The Sens are a team with an internal budget, there is NO WAY they get rid of what could become a top contributor on an ELC, those are worth more than anything to them, your theory on the "desperate" Sens overpaying doesn't fly, had they thought Dahlen was going to turn into anything, they would never have given him up.

So, in order to sell us on Dahlen being anything to get excited about you have to first explain, why an internal budget team would give up on a potential top 6 on an ELC? Then explain why the team who acquired him, who bought it's own farm team to personally oversee and control prospect development has sent him away from that team.

As for your point about why would scouts take someone who they didn't think was great, let me put it to you like this: No matter what they say, there isn't any scout, GM or anyone associated with the Canucks who wouldn't like a do-over for the 2014 and 2016 drafts

If they had the chance not one of them would take Joulevi or Jake, opinions change over time as new evidence comes to light

Kind of like the evidence we are trying to get you to look at

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
He participated in the latter part of the Vancouver camp. He practiced and played in both preseason games for the Comets and practiced up to just before the first game and then his name was missing form the final roster with no explanation. He was gone.

The medical profession in Sweden hasn't discovered any miracle cures that the medical profession in the U.S. doesn't have. This mono thing is just another way to paper over the fact that Benning doesn't have the balls to tell a prospec,t "You signed with the Vancouver Canucks and we expect you to develop within our system, on NA sized rinks, learning our system, under the tutelage and guidance of our development staff." The prospect doesn't tell his team where he will play and where he won't.

Benning needs to start wearing big boy pants and quit signing these escape clauses. Tryamkin, Rodin, Dahlen, and apparently Petterrson as well, all have them. Only Rodin has decided to report to the AHL and take his chances, SO FAR.

Now, Benning needs to provide the crop of prospects he stuffed in Utica with too many vets, a trio of play making centers to work with them. I don't care how he has to do it, but they are not going to develop without them. Chaput is okay. Gaunce would be another. Who he has to trade, sell or loan to do it is his problem. Utica GM Johnson needs to start earning his pay as well. He hasn't done one thing since taking on that role. He has been basically invisible. Get with your boss Ryan, and get something done!

I have no Idea why Erikson isn't sent down to Utica, that is the one place he MIGHT be able to earn some portion of that 6 mil, where he might actually be useful for us, were he to stabilize that team and work with the kids, he might actually be WORTH having around,

Also, Sutter is WAY more valuable to us down on the farm, teaching the kids how to win F.O's and measuring their balls on a weekly basis

Let Gagner take the third line slot and Burmistrov the 4th

If they don't like it they can waive their no-trade clauses

member 290103

Yes, you said it....Dahlen was traded just nine months after the Sens drafted him....basically dealt one-for-one for an aging 35-year old winger on an expiring contract....so in assessing why their GM Pierre Dorion would make such a deal, there's only two explanations....he's either the dumbest GM on the planet, or his scouts told him that Dahlen was an undersized scoring winger who projected at best to be a third our fourth liner if he made the NHL at all. Obviously Jimbo and the Canuck scouts are betting differently....but given their track record, are you really all that confident?

But that doesn't make a lot of sense. The scouts tell him to draft the player and then just months later tell him to get rid of him as he has no potential?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
So.....then why has he been hidden away? Sent off packing to where the team we bought for player development, can't develop him?

BTW The Sens are a team with an internal budget, there is NO WAY they get rid of what could become a top contributor on an ELC, those are worth more than anything to them, your theory on the "desperate" Sens overpaying doesn't fly, had they thought Dahlen was going to turn into anything, they would never have given him up.

So, in order to sell us on Dahlen being anything to get excited about you have to first explain, why an internal budget team would give up on a potential top 6 on an ELC? Then explain why the team who acquired him, who bought it's own farm team to personally oversee and control prospect development has sent him away from that team.

As for your point about why would scouts take someone who they didn't think was great, let me put it to you like this: No matter what they say, there isn't any scout, GM or anyone associated with the Canucks who wouldn't like a do-over for the 2014 and 2016 drafts

If they had the chance not one of them would take Joulevi or Jake, opinions change over time as new evidence comes to light

Kind of like the evidence we are trying to get you to look at

Have you seen Utica? It's a dumpster fire. There will be no player development there with this management team. I would love for our NHL affiliate to be a development factory, but it just isn't. That's on management.

Look's like Dahlen will be back in Timra until January 31st as he wants to recover from mono and get back to top shape. Then play either in the SHL or AHL. Would've liked him to start in the SHL right away but this is what Dahlen and his agent feel is right.

Bet you WSH never saw anything in Forsberg or Benning thinking Forsling didn't have a future. Teams make mistakes giving up on prospects too early all the time. Scouts can tell GM's otherwise but at the end of the day, GM's do what they feel is right. Dahlen may pan out or he might flame out.

I don't have to sell you anything, do your own research on the prospect, form your own opinion.

What evidence? PPG in Allsvenskan? 6 points in 7 games at the WJC? What evidence little boy?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
But that doesn't make a lot of sense. The scouts tell him to draft the player and then just months later tell him to get rid of him as he has no potential?

Didn't you hear it was Gradin who told Benning to trade Forsling for Clendening. No way a GM can make his own decision, miscalculate, and make a mistake trading a prospect too early.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I disagree with Bad Goalie. Which I seldom do.

The players who bolted had those clauses in their contract for a reason, or reasons. One of which I'm sure is that they will likely get more playing time in Europe. And make more money than they would in the AHL. And play in a more comfortable environment.

Petttterssson for sure is better off in Sweden. I don't think he is physically mature enough for the AHL.

These players didn't put these clauses in their contracts for no reason.

The Canucks may be competitive this year, a serious contender next year, and the year after actually have a decent team. Dahlen, Peterson (autocorrect) Juolevi Gadjovich, Lind and a few others.

Thanks for your support, but good God man do you hear yourself? These guys will get more ice time in Europe than in Utica? If they are even close to their clippings the 1st line in Utica is Dahlen/Petterrson/Rodin. If Cull wants to shelter them a bit maybe 2nd line. Definitely PP as well and throw Boucher and Goldobin on that unit with Subban as the QB.

Next, Pettersson isn't physically mature enough for the AHL, but next year he becomes the Canucks #2 center? Are the Viking Gods going to infuse him with some kind of super muscle growth and physical maturity in the next 10 months? I want some of whatever you are smoking. If he is able to be a standout against fully mature experienced men in the outstanding SHL right now, how is he not able to be just as noticeable in the low level AHL? That's how it gets described by those saying the SHL is a far better place to develop than the AHL. They are completely wrong, but they don't think so.

Want to bet that Pettersson arrives next season with the same ultimatum? Better yet, is it already in his contract but it hasn't been revealed yet? He didn't take part in the Young Stars Tourney? Tryamkin had it. Rodin has it and could activate it any time. Tommernes turned tail and ran out of his contract half way through his second season. Cederholm booked after a season and has now returned, but was sent to the ZOO today. Wonder if he stays or just says the Hell with it. Has something been added to the Swedish water suppl in recent years?

Dahlen and his agents are playing multiple mind games and Benning is mesmerized. So McCann was traded because of his attitude? Dahlen makes him look like a choir boy. Florida fixed that right quick. Think maybe there was more to Ottawa dumping a top prospect after only 9 months than a despearate GM's need for intangibles right away? You don't think Jonny boy and his agent were trying to wheedle their way around the Sens as well? This kid feels he is too good for anything except the NHL to the extent he has returned to play in the Swedish minors. I bet he wants playing time in Vancouver guarantees as well or he will stay in the SHL until he gets exactly what he wants. This kid (could be his agent feeding his ego as the more this kid makes, the more he makes) is so full of himself and has visions of himself as an NHL star and anything beneath that is unacceptable. He was in Utica for a week and he got right the Hell out of there. His Swedish cities and Vancouver are beautiful. It's not about hockey . It's about a lifestyle that goes along with hockey and the pay checks that provide it. $70K is beneath him.

It's not beneath your Canadian and our American kids nor any of the Europeans making the same decision to play in the AHL and develop on the farms making the standard minor league salary on their 2-way contracts as they work their way up to the Show. Jake and Jared just did a season and and they made it back. Why should this kid and others of Vancouver's Europeans be any different and why are so many Canadian posters backing this BS?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Have you seen Utica? It's a dumpster fire. There will be no player development there with this management team. I would love for our NHL affiliate to be a development factory, but it just isn't. That's on management.

Look's like Dahlen will be back in Timra until January 31st as he wants to recover from mono and get back to top shape. Then play either in the SHL or AHL. Would've liked him to start in the SHL right away but this is what Dahlen and his agent feel is right.

Bet you WSH never saw anything in Forsberg or Benning thinking Forsling didn't have a future. Teams make mistakes giving up on prospects too early all the time. Scouts can tell GM's otherwise but at the end of the day, GM's do what they feel is right. Dahlen may pan out or he might flame out.

I don't have to sell you anything, do your own research on the prospect, form your own opinion.

What evidence? PPG in Allsvenskan? 6 points in 7 games at the WJC? What evidence little boy?

"Look's like Dahlen will be back in Timra until January 31st as he wants to recover from mono and get back to top shape. Then play either in the SHL or AHL. Would've liked him to start in the SHL right away but this is what Dahlen and his agent feel is right."

You are serious right? Dahlen and his agent want blah blah blah. Since when does a still not 20 year-old kid tell his employers what id best for him and then do just waht the hell they please? Benning and Co. are the basic village idiots when dealing with prospects and there is plenty of evidence piled up to back that.

You sign your contract for 3 seasons and the Canucks decide where you play fore those 3 years unless you break your contract. YOU don't get a choice.

That's how it should happen, but as I said Jimbo and Co. are idiots and letting the new the inmates run the prison. The newcomers come with out clauses and the new pro acquisitions get playtime guarantees, monster contracts, no move clauses, contract extensions, etc. Somehow Boeser's agent has been asleep at the wheel when the rest of these guys fleeced Benning.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Forsling ... Lol, he blows.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Well, you're going have to wait it out just like the rest of us until Benning is gone. Hopefully, he's gone after this year and new management can invest all their resources into making Utica a development factory.

How did Alex Nylander's season go down there in Rochester? f*** it just put Pettersson and Dahlen into the dumpster fire.

Both Asplund and Grundstrom are in the SHL right now. How do you feel about that?

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Thanks for your support, but good God man do you hear yourself? These guys will get more ice time in Europe than in Utica? If they are even close to their clippings the 1st line in Utica is Dahlen/Petterrson/Rodin. If Cull wants to shelter them a bit maybe 2nd line. Definitely PP as well and throw Boucher and Goldobin on that unit with Subban as the QB.

Next, Pettersson isn't physically mature enough for the AHL, but next year he becomes the Canucks #2 center? Are the Viking Gods going to infuse him with some kind of super muscle growth and physical maturity in the next 10 months? I want some of whatever you are smoking. If he is able to be a standout against fully mature experienced men in the outstanding SHL right now, how is he not able to be just as noticeable in the low level AHL? That's how it gets described by those saying the SHL is a far better place to develop than the AHL. They are completely wrong, but they don't think so.

Want to bet that Pettersson arrives next season with the same ultimatum? Better yet, is it already in his contract but it hasn't been revealed yet? He didn't take part in the Young Stars Tourney? Tryamkin had it. Rodin has it and could activate it any time. Tommernes turned tail and ran out of his contract half way through his second season. Cederholm booked after a season and has now returned, but was sent to the ZOO today. Wonder if he stays or just says the Hell with it. Has something been added to the Swedish water suppl in recent years?

Dahlen and his agents are playing multiple mind games and Benning is mesmerized. So McCann was traded because of his attitude? Dahlen makes him look like a choir boy. Florida fixed that right quick. Think maybe there was more to Ottawa dumping a top prospect after only 9 months than a despearate GM's need for intangibles right away? You don't think Jonny boy and his agent were trying to wheedle their way around the Sens as well? This kid feels he is too good for anything except the NHL to the extent he has returned to play in the Swedish minors. I bet he wants playing time in Vancouver guarantees as well or he will stay in the SHL until he gets exactly what he wants. This kid (could be his agent feeding his ego as the more this kid makes, the more he makes) is so full of himself and has visions of himself as an NHL star and anything beneath that is unacceptable. He was in Utica for a week and he got right the Hell out of there. His Swedish cities and Vancouver are beautiful. It's not about hockey . It's about a lifestyle that goes along with hockey and the pay checks that provide it. $70K is beneath him.

It's not beneath your Canadian and our American kids nor any of the Europeans making the same decision to play in the AHL and develop on the farms making the standard minor league salary on their 2-way contracts as they work their way up to the Show. Jake and Jared just did a season and and they made it back. Why should this kid and others of Vancouver's Europeans be any different and why are so many Canadian posters backing this BS?

You're delusional BG. He's a late, 19 yr old first round pick, who has had training camp waylayed by mono. Not getting a fair start in a far from certain outcome to begin with has led to a return to safer pastures, in order to regain strength and form.

I can understand Jonathan not wanting to simply prove a point by playing in Utica. After suffering from Mono he wants to play in a comfortable, yet challenging environment. SHL2 to start. Then by Jan 18, a date me must feel he'll be healed by, he hopes to be ready for SHL, or NHL.

Why would he risk that to play in foreign Utica?

Last edited:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
How come that Palmu kid isn't in Utica either? 9 points in 12 games in Liiga. Too bad his ass isn't in Utica developing.

Why did Boeser waste his development in North Dakota when he could've been in Utica ripping it up with Hamilton and Bancks.

Dahlen what an idiot going to the SHL when he can be in Utica receiving passes from Megna. Definitely, want him there developing. Prospects like Asplund and Grundstrom playing fine in the SHL and not a peep from there fans. It's like they're developing fine over there in the Swedish elite league.

Utica is a complete dumpster fire, it's a black cloud. It's a blessing in disguise all these prospects are far, far away from Utica. I understand your frustration though having to watch this as a fan.

Hopefully, the management is purged. New regime actually spends resources on their affiliate and makes it into a development factory. Next year, Gaudette, Lockwood, Palmu, Dahlen, Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, some solid veteran offensive AHL players instead of all these god awful grinders.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I don't really disagree in principle, but I think you're being a bit over dramatic. It's not like it has to be he's either a Filip Forsberg or a bust here, he's just a 2nd round pick that was tracking pretty well in his draft+1 year. It's easy enough for Ottawa to flip him if they know they can extend Burrows and think he can help them win the Cup.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I have no Idea why Erikson isn't sent down to Utica, that is the one place he MIGHT be able to earn some portion of that 6 mil, where he might actually be useful for us, were he to stabilize that team and work with the kids, he might actually be WORTH having around,

Also, Sutter is WAY more valuable to us down on the farm, teaching the kids how to win F.O's and measuring their balls on a weekly basis

Let Gagner take the third line slot and Burmistrov the 4th

If they don't like it they can waive their no-trade clauses

You need to study up on the AHL veteran rules. We have 9 down here already meaning 3 sit every game. We don't need 2 more.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
The player he passed it to Jacob Olofsson is really good as well. Hopefully our scouts have an eye on him while monitoring Dahlen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad