Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Would not consider Dahlen a top-notch prospect. He's a good prospect who IMO has second line potential. I do believe he'll be a Nhl'er because of the type of game he plays.

Rasmus Asplund, Carl Grundstrom both late birthdays as well who are eligible for the AHL are in the SHL right now developing. Both along with Dahlen were taken in the second round of the same draft.

Utica's centers are garbage. Who is going to get him the puck? Utica is just not a good environment for these players right now. Bunch of grinders mis mashed with a skilled player like Goldobin incorporated into that group.

Next year I would like to see Pettersson, Dahlen. Gaudette, Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich all in Utica unless Nhl ready.

That's just BS. It's the job of the NHL management to fix that crap. Not shjp their prospects overseas because they are too incompetent to sign those players necessary for their prospects to succeed, especially since they have owned up to said incompetence for the past 2 seasons. They don't get off the hook that easy.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is Dahlen still suffering from Mono?

That can be a real bitch to get over... I remember getting hit with it when I was 17... lost close to 20lbs.. and I was already pretty slight at the time... took months to fully get over the effects.

He participated in the latter part of the Vancouver camp. He practiced and played in both preseason games for the Comets and practiced up to just before the first game and then his name was missing form the final roster with no explanation. He was gone.

The medical profession in Sweden hasn't discovered any miracle cures that the medical profession in the U.S. doesn't have. This mono thing is just another way to paper over the fact that Benning doesn't have the balls to tell a prospec,t "You signed with the Vancouver Canucks and we expect you to develop within our system, on NA sized rinks, learning our system, under the tutelage and guidance of our development staff." The prospect doesn't tell his team where he will play and where he won't.

Benning needs to start wearing big boy pants and quit signing these escape clauses. Tryamkin, Rodin, Dahlen, and apparently Petterrson as well, all have them. Only Rodin has decided to report to the AHL and take his chances, SO FAR.

Now, Benning needs to provide the crop of prospects he stuffed in Utica with too many vets, a trio of play making centers to work with them. I don't care how he has to do it, but they are not going to develop without them. Chaput is okay. Gaunce would be another. Who he has to trade, sell or loan to do it is his problem. Utica GM Johnson needs to start earning his pay as well. He hasn't done one thing since taking on that role. He has been basically invisible. Get with your boss Ryan, and get something done!

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
That's just BS. It's the job of the NHL management to fix that crap. Not shjp their prospects overseas because they are too incompetent to sign those players necessary for their prospects to succeed, especially since they have owned up to said incompetence for the past 2 seasons. They don't get off the hook that easy.

No shit it's on benning. 4 year's on the job and this is the forward corps.

Molino/Hamilton/Carcone
Boucher/Chaput/D'Aoust
Archibald/Darcy/Bancks
Goldobin/Megna/LaBate

Zero drafted prospects in that group. You have players like Goldobin, Rodin, Dahlen who all can put the puck in the net yet all the centers are grinders who can't distribute the puck.

Reactions: Seatoo

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Compare with Jesper Bratt, tearing it up with the Devils, 19 years & 6th rounder. Sure one can't just pick players to compare with at whim. Anyway, surely Dahlen should be able to play in the AHL. There might be something else beyond the decision.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
The other two Swedes ( Asplund and Grundstrom) drafted in the second round in 2016 are playing in the SHL as we speak.

Dahlen put up a PPG in the Allsvenskan, next logical step is go play in the Swedish Elite League. He is 19.

Don't understand the ruckus.
How many second rounds picks from his draft are still trying to figure out where they are going to play this season?

Imo the best development path for Dahlen would include him joining a team long before October 10th.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
How many second rounds picks from his draft are still trying to figure out where they are going to play this season?

Imo the best development path for Dahlen would include him joining a team long before October 10th.

It would also include him not getting mono....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What a disappointing situation.

An under-contract 97-born 2nd rounder should be in the AHL - as Gadjovich and Lind will surely be next year as 98-born 2nd rounders. That he's back in the Swedish 2nd tier is just lousy news.

This whole situation seems like a mess. I'm sure the mono didn't help things, but it doesn't seem like there was any plan here at all ... or if there was, like the player strong-armed the organization.

Reactions: UticaHockey

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
His contract supposely has an out clause on Jan. 31 for AHL or SHL but Benning said he'll be in Timra for a month. Unlikely he'll go the AHL route so its likely he'll sign on with a SHL team later.

Its not good news but always a possibility (not the ideal outcome) since SHL season already started and Dahlen hasn't played much. Basically Timra will be like extended pre-season for Dahlen. Based on this information and how Cull is not using Rodin (till he gets a few more practices in), my guess is Cull wasn't going to play Dahlen in a game for a while and that might also be one of the reason he bolted. Would be interesting to see how often he plays and how soon he moves on to the SHL or back to the AHL (likely SHL).

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Hmm. Is the logic flawed? He'd likely be a top-line staple and get plum ice time in Timra while he recovers from mono over the next few months

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Allsvenskan is still a good league. It's not as good as SHL, but it's only slightly worse than, say, the SM-liiga. And SM-liiga isn't that far off SHL in terms of competiveness.

Thing is he has nothing left to prove there, it's definitely pretty disappointing. But league still isn't that much worse than the AHL.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
What a joke, staying in the AHL would have been way more beneficial than playing tier 2 hockey in Sweden. Got iffy vibes from this situation when I heard this guy interviewed over the summer

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I disagree with Bad Goalie. Which I seldom do.

The players who bolted had those clauses in their contract for a reason, or reasons. One of which I'm sure is that they will likely get more playing time in Europe. And make more money than they would in the AHL. And play in a more comfortable environment.

Petttterssson for sure is better off in Sweden. I don't think he is physically mature enough for the AHL.

These players didn't put these clauses in their contracts for no reason.

The Canucks may be competitive this year, a serious contender next year, and the year after actually have a decent team. Dahlen, Peterson (autocorrect) Juolevi Gadjovich, Lind and a few others.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
I don't think they'll be a a serious contender anytime soon. Remember 2014/15 after we drafted Horvat/Shink/Virtanen/Subban/Brisebois... less than half even made the team and 1/5 is actually good, so far. " Dahlen, Peterson (autocorrect) Juolevi Gadjovich, Lind and a few others." I doubt many from that list make the NHL team too. The only player I'd put money on making the show is Pettersson; unless we've struck gold and they all become impactful in the NHL.

The team is far away from being a serious contender anytime soon unless we somehow manage to get the #1/2 draft pick this year and atleast 1/3 of the players listed above become regulars in our lineup .

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I disagree with Bad Goalie. Which I seldom do.

The players who bolted had those clauses in their contract for a reason, or reasons. One of which I'm sure is that they will likely get more playing time in Europe. And make more money than they would in the AHL. And play in a more comfortable environment.

Petttterssson for sure is better off in Sweden. I don't think he is physically mature enough for the AHL.

These players didn't put these clauses in their contracts for no reason.

The Canucks may be competitive this year, a serious contender next year, and the year after actually have a decent team. Dahlen, Peterson (autocorrect) Juolevi Gadjovich, Lind and a few others.

Why would they get more playing time in Europe? The Canucks own their own AHL team. Dahlen and Pettersson can get as much ice time as the Canucks want and develop exactly how the Canucks want in the AHL.

In Sweden with teams that they have no futures with their development is going to be the least of their teams concerns. Their Swedish teams will have no reason to give them ice time over a comparable 30 year old veteran who the coach already trusts.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Most teams in the league could put together a similar list of up and coming prospects. Maybe minus the high end of Pettersson, but then again a lot of those teams have young elite talent on their roster.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
If I was a Canucks draft pick’s agent and I saw how incompetent this management and NHL/AHL coaching staff is I would absolutely take everything possible. NMC’s, Bonuses, Opt our clauses etc etc because this brain trust has no idea about leverage and how to use it.

I seriously wish we had Gillman in charge...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At some point Benning and the Canucks are going to come the realization that picking up other NHL team's stagnating prospects is a losing program....I have no idea if either of Goldobin or Dahlen will ever be factors in a VanCity uniform.....but after looking at their progress in multiple training camps both the Sharks and Sens deemed them expendable for immediate help at the deadline....just sayin'

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
At some point Benning and the Canucks are going to come the realization that picking up other NHL team's stagnating prospects is a losing program....I have no idea if either of Goldobin or Dahlen will ever be factors in a VanCity uniform.....but after looking at their progress in multiple training camps both the Sharks and Sens deemed them expendable for immediate help at the deadline....just sayin'

Dahlen was traded after just being drafted 9 months prior. He's from the 2016 draft. Both him and Goldobin are tracking extremely well as of today regardless of what your opinion is of these two prospects.

Goldobin being down in Utica after going ppg in the AHL last year and not having an opportunity with the big club will probably cause him to stagnate though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes, you said it....Dahlen was traded just nine months after the Sens drafted him....basically dealt one-for-one for an aging 35-year old winger on an expiring contract....so in assessing why their GM Pierre Dorion would make such a deal, there's only two explanations....he's either the dumbest GM on the planet, or his scouts told him that Dahlen was an undersized scoring winger who projected at best to be a third our fourth liner if he made the NHL at all. Obviously Jimbo and the Canuck scouts are betting differently....but given their track record, are you really all that confident?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I agree with the idea that Dahlen is being mismanaged, but it was still a terrific trade. Dahlen is not even close to a "stagnating" prospect. And it's not like Ottawa is exactly a model franchise -- they've made plenty of dumb decisions and Dahlen might be another one so I don't know if I'd trust their judgement.

He absolutely killed Allsvenskan in his +1 and I'll consider the trade a good one even if he's a complete flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad