Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Ah, good start to the playoffs then, and my previous post should have read that he finished the season in that position.

It'd be great if Dahlen could finish his career in Sweden by helping his team win promotion.

Dahlen just assisted on the game winner in OT. He was in on all four of Timra's goals today.

So yeah, pretty good start to the playoffs.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Dahlen is a guy the Sens felt was a 'B' level prospect they could part with in a trade for a 36-year old winger at last year's trade deadline.....I guess Jimbo thought otherwise.

So i suppose either Jim Benning or Peter Dorion will be 'right' about Dahlen or 'wrong'......Given Jimbo's track record in acquiring other team's 'prospects' it's not being 'negative' to question his upside.....just tempering your enthusiasm.

Yes, GMs around the league are bad. Are we really going to scratch our heads how the renown GM of the Senators threw away a prospect for an aging bottom 6 player? Far more egregious trades of this nature have taken place like Forsberg for Erat. Players like Burrows are always overvalued. Dahlen is no sure thing but at the time of the trade it was an extremely clear win for us.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Really stepped up in an important game. Thats great to see! :)

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
But that's the problem....is a player in his draft-plus one year like Dahlen really the equivalent of a second-rounder?.....I'd have been doing handsprings had the Canucks got a legitimate future second-rounder for Burrows at last year's deadline.

Look at what they did with the compensatory pick they acquired from the Jackets for signing Torts....they turned that pick into Gadjovich.....But when you start betting on another team's past draft picks, then it's not really the equivalent of anything, other than maybe another prospect in your own system.

I'd love to proven wrong, but I suspect the Canucks might have done better had they accepted even a third or fourth rounder for Burrows.

Jesper Bratt went straight from a no name player in Allsvenskan to a top 6 role in the NHL, and will probably finish with around 45 points. Obviously that says more about his development than the league itself, but it still gives you some perspective. Dahlen is the best player in the same league Bratt was a nobody in last season, so to compare him to anything less than a first round pick at this stage is downright wrong.

Reactions: Knight53

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
It tells me lots that he is performing to this extent in the playoffs

In the most important games of the season, he didn't falter

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Really stepped up in an important game. Thats great to see! :)

It tells me lots that he is performing to this extent in the playoffs

In the most important games of the season, he didn't falter
Well just take a look at all of his past years' playoff stats. Even in his draft year, he led Timra in playoff scoring. He always steps up when needed, just one of the things i like about him. Hopefully, he'll end up in Canuck lore, clutch like Burr.

Next game is Sunday.

Reactions: Knight53

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Well just take a look at all of his past years' playoff stats. Even in his draft year, he led Timra in playoff scoring. He always steps up when needed, just one of the things i like about him. Hopefully, he'll end up in Canuck lore, clutch like Burr.

Next game is Sunday.
Yeah I hope your right ya feebster

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Next game is Sunday.
Sorry if you answered this in the past, but who do you see as an NHL comparable in terms of general playstyle?

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Sorry if you answered this in the past, but who do you see as an NHL comparable in terms of general playstyle?
Pre-draft, a lot said a less graceful skating Jeff Skinner. I don't think that's too far off for style.

But i see a little bit more tenacity in Dahlen when attacking the puck. So then i thought more about it, but maybe Palmieri could be a good example too.

Reactions: clunk

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Dahlen had one of the goals in Timra's 2-1 win playoff win over Leksands this morning. Am I right in thinking the winner of this series then goes on to meet a bottom team from the SHL in a promotion/relegation series?

dr-nix

Beware of the Bunny!
Feb 7, 2005
Dahlen had one of the goals in Timra's 2-1 win playoff win over Leksands this morning. Am I right in thinking the winner of this series then goes on to meet a bottom team from the SHL in a promotion/relegation series?

Yes you are correct. The winner of this final series will meet Karlskrona from SHL and the looser will play in another playoff match series against one of the other teams in the Hockeyallsvenskan (the teams that finished 3-8 are currently playing a playoff series and the winner of that will meet the looser of the final series between Timra-Leksand). And the winner of the playoff series will meet Mora (in a 7 match playoff series).

Reactions: lindgren

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
But that's the problem....is a player in his draft-plus one year like Dahlen really the equivalent of a second-rounder?.....I'd have been doing handsprings had the Canucks got a legitimate future second-rounder for Burrows at last year's deadline.

Look at what they did with the compensatory pick they acquired from the Jackets for signing Torts....they turned that pick into Gadjovich.....But when you start betting on another team's past draft picks, then it's not really the equivalent of anything, other than maybe another prospect in your own system.

I'd love to proven wrong, but I suspect the Canucks might have done better had they accepted even a third or fourth rounder for Burrows.
Ah here we go again
“ Magic bean is better than a well developing prospect!!!!”

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yes you are correct. The winner of this final series will meet Karlskrona from SHL and the looser will play in another playoff match series against one of the other teams in the Hockeyallsvenskan (the teams that finished 3-8 are currently playing a playoff series and the winner of that will meet the looser of the final series between Timra-Leksand). And the winner of the playoff series will meet Mora (in a 7 match playoff series).
Thats such a wierd system where you can get bumped up and down a league based off performance. I wonder how the fans of those teams like that system. Seems hard to get use to

Anyways great to see Dahlen rise to the occasion again in these important games. Hes really begun to impress IMO

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How badly do you think OTT regrets the trade? I think a lot.

We certainly do. Dorion has quite a habit for overpaying for players he wants. Dahlen has been on a clear upward trajectory since draft day. Many of us are still confused why he'd give up a good prospect for Burrows (and has been one hell of a point of contention on HFSens for the past year).

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
We certainly do. Dorion has quite a habit for overpaying for players he wants. Dahlen has been on a clear upward trajectory since draft day. Many of us are still confused why he'd give up a good prospect for Burrows (and has been one hell of a point of contention on HFSens for the past year).
You need to make a “Burrows, do we really want him?” Thread on your board. The universe will sort itself out after that

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Thats such a wierd system where you can get bumped up and down a league based off performance. I wonder how the fans of those teams like that system. Seems hard to get use to

Anyways great to see Dahlen rise to the occasion again in these important games. Hes really begun to impress IMO
Actually, that system has been implanted in most profession sports in Europe for almost a century.
It sucks because only the big financial teams will have chance to win anything, but at the same time it prevents any sort of tanking.
Scary thing is that once a team gets relegated, they might not comeback for decades

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Actually, that system has been implanted in most profession sports in Europe for almost a century.
It sucks because only the big financial teams will have chance to win anything, but at the same time it prevents any sort of tanking.
Scary thing is that once a team gets relegated, they might not comeback for decades

Another thing is that it makes the bottom of the table quite interesting. I remember my dad took me to a qualification game to the top division in soccer and the stadium was full. While I understand why it can't happen here I like it although my home town team never got the chance again and have dropped further down the divisions.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Another thing is that it makes the bottom of the table quite interesting. I remember my dad took me to a qualification game to the top division in soccer and the stadium was full. While I understand why it can't happen here I like it although my home town team never got the chance again and have dropped further down the divisions.
Agree
In order to implant that kind of system, you need extremely loyal fan bases who will spend money on the team again and again even if they only win 8~10 games a season.

It’s possible Europe because many sports teams were formed by local workers back in the days and has been around for more than 100 years

Here in NA, even the lowest tier league is about money and business. Hard to gain loyalty in an environment like this

Reactions: JimboA

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sounds backwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad