Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dahlen in Utica would be intriguing to monitor.....just not sure how his game will transition to the smaller NA rink.....his 'first step' looks average to me, and he'll have trouble gaining separation to get his shot off.....he strikes me as a similar kind of player to Anton Rodin who had trouble adjusting to NA....hope I'm wrong.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Dahlen in Utica would be intriguing to monitor.....just not sure how his game will transition to the smaller NA rink.....his 'first step' looks average to me, and he'll have trouble gaining separation to get his shot off.....he strikes me as a similar kind of player to Anton Rodin who had trouble adjusting to NA....hope I'm wrong.

Rodin's issues were heavily injury-driven. Shoulder that at some point caused him to be unable to shoot, and then I can't remember what he did after that. Groin?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

how do you think those players are similar?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Coz it is easier to be negative that way.
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Dahlen is a guy the Sens felt was a 'B' level prospect they could part with in a trade for a 36-year old winger at last year's trade deadline.....I guess Jimbo thought otherwise.

So i suppose either Jim Benning or Peter Dorion will be 'right' about Dahlen or 'wrong'......Given Jimbo's track record in acquiring other team's 'prospects' it's not being 'negative' to question his upside.....just tempering your enthusiasm.

Reactions: UticaHockey

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Dahlen is a guy the Sens felt was a 'B' level prospect they could part with in a trade for a 36-year old winger at last year's trade deadline.....I guess Jimbo thought otherwise.

So i suppose either Jim Benning or Peter Dorion will be 'right' about Dahlen or 'wrong'......Given Jimbo's track record in acquiring other team's 'prospects' it's not being 'negative' to question his upside.....just tempering your enthusiasm.

Dahlen is not an elite prospect. Nobody ever said he was. For Burrows he was a hell of a return. He looks like he has 2nd line potential and we can afford to give him the development time to realize it. This is one player I have no concerns about. It's not like we used a top 10 pick on him. :-p

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Dahlen is not an elite prospect. Nobody ever said he was. For Burrows he was a hell of a return. He looks like he has 2nd line potential and we can afford to give him the development time to realize it. This is one player I have no concerns about. It's not like we used a top 10 pick on him. :-p

To be fair, that one catamaran whatever poster says that Dahlen would likely be producing similarly to Petterson if he were in the SHL. But I do agree.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I might be unfairly jumping the gun about what you're saying, but that's one thing that I have never really understood about fan opinions. To me, whether we gave up a lot or a little to get someone should be irrelevant to whether or not there should be concerns or negative assessments about a player. Criticism shouldn't be viewed as the act of voicing your displeasure and frustration.

Reactions: Index

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I might be unfairly jumping the gun about what you're saying, but that's one thing that I have never really understood about fan opinions. To me, whether we gave up a lot or a little to get someone should be irrelevant to whether or not there should be concerns or negative assessments about a player. Criticism shouldn't be viewed as the act of voicing your displeasure and frustration.

Disagree. The cost to acquire an asset is very relevant to how that asset is progressing, or what his future looks like. We basically gave up nothing to get what is the equivalent of a 2nd rd pick.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Disagree. The cost to acquire an asset is very relevant to how that asset is progressing, or what his future looks like. We basically gave up nothing to get what is the equivalent of a 2nd rd pick.
I see them as ideally completely separate considerations. In the context of the team and management, it's important that we gave up very little to get something valuable, but that doesn't mean we should be harder or softer on him when praising or criticizing his game, IMO.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I

On the other hand, the fact that Ottawa gave him up easily may be something of a red flag. I sort of wonder if there's not something behind the scenes with this player. The way things have played out since the trade has been odd.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Until this prospect plays in North America or at least a top tier European league you can't set any real expectations for him.

Very true and while at the same time the opposite theorem must be applied to prospects being written off before said prospect has had a chance to prove his wears. Seems fair?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I

On the other hand, the fact that Ottawa gave him up easily may be something of a red flag. I sort of wonder if there's not something behind the scenes with this player. The way things have played out since the trade has been odd.

They didn't neccessarily give Dahlen up that easily. They thought Burrows would be a solid third line player for them, which he was at the end of last season and in the playoffs. They likely also had the extension done before they pulled the trigger on a trade. So they thought they'd be getting 3 more solid years from Burrows during a time which they would be contending for the cup. It's unfortunate that he fell off a cliff so soon, but I do think he had some value at the time of the trade when you also include the extension.

As for Dahlen, he's probably not a legitimate top line player, but maybe he'll turn into a decent 2nd line winger. There's also the added benefit that he played well with Pettersson last season. If that chemistry translates to the NHL, that could catapult Dahlen to first line status.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
But that's the problem....is a player in his draft-plus one year like Dahlen really the equivalent of a second-rounder?.....I'd have been doing handsprings had the Canucks got a legitimate future second-rounder for Burrows at last year's deadline.

Look at what they did with the compensatory pick they acquired from the Jackets for signing Torts....they turned that pick into Gadjovich.....But when you start betting on another team's past draft picks, then it's not really the equivalent of anything, other than maybe another prospect in your own system.

I'd love to proven wrong, but I suspect the Canucks might have done better had they accepted even a third or fourth rounder for Burrows.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Dahlen notched a goal and two assists today. He's currently tied for second in scoring in the Allsvenskan, first overall in points per game.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Dahlen notched a goal and two assists today. He's currently tied for second in scoring in the Allsvenskan, first overall in points per game.
Today's game is the first of a playoff series between Leksand and Timra. The winner plays Karlskrona for a spot in the SHL.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
But that's the problem....is a player in his draft-plus one year like Dahlen really the equivalent of a second-rounder?.....I'd have been doing handsprings had the Canucks got a legitimate future second-rounder for Burrows at last year's deadline.

Look at what they did with the compensatory pick they acquired from the Jackets for signing Torts....they turned that pick into Gadjovich.....But when you start betting on another team's past draft picks, then it's not really the equivalent of anything, other than maybe another prospect in your own system.

I'd love to proven wrong, but I suspect the Canucks might have done better had they accepted even a third or fourth rounder for Burrows.

What's wrong with how Dahlen has progressed? He's tied for 2nd in the league in points while playing several games fewer than the other point leaders around him and he's doing it without much help from his teammates.

I think he's tracking well for a 2nd round pick, and I bet other teams would offer up their own 2nd round pick this season to get Dahlen if he were available for that.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Today's game is the first of a playoff series between Leksand and Timra. The winner plays Karlskrona for a spot in the SHL.

Ah, good start to the playoffs then, and my previous post should have read that he finished the season in that position.

It'd be great if Dahlen could finish his career in Sweden by helping his team win promotion.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

King Crimson

Oct 6, 2011

...that's ridiculous. Dahlen led his team in scoring by 16 points as a 20 year old. He finished 2nd in the Allsvenskan scoring race, and is literally the only player in the top 100 to be PPG. All this and he started the season late and with mono. The reason he's still with Timra is that he wants to get his team into the SHL, and judging by his stats he's doing his damnest to drag them there. To think he's not equivalent to a 2nd round pick is ridiculous.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018

I think the hype came from the fact that he had some scoring talent, and then when Petersson was drafted, it skyrocketed! I mean there were some idiots on the Radio thinking Daniel/Henrik V2... like just stupid reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad