Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
The SHL is at least on the level of the AHL. Plus he gets to eat home cooking for another year, and develop in a league with less hitting. A great thing imo

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Can't help but think any and all announcements coming out of this management group is nothing but panicked PR to salvage business.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Can't help but think any and all announcements coming out of this management group is nothing but panicked PR to salvage business.

So they should not have announced this signing?

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Good news.

Let's see how he handles camp before we even consider Utica though. The kid had a superb season, but the leap from the second tier here to the AHL is a big one. No need to rush him.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
After yesterday's disappointing news, this is good to hear. No problem if he chooses the Swedish option next year.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Don't. Rush. Him.

He's a high-skilled kid with first-line ceiling, but he's undersized. Don't force him into the behemoth Pacific division where he'll get beat up and discouraged. Give him a few years to put on man-muscle and get used to the style of game.

Copy and paste this for most undersized European imports, to be honest.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Don't. Rush. Him.

He's a high-skilled kid with first-line ceiling, but he's undersized. Don't force him into the behemoth Pacific division where he'll get beat up and discouraged. Give him a few years to put on man-muscle and get used to the style of game.

Copy and paste this for most undersized European imports, to be honest.

Is he too old (or not eligible) for the CHL? Could he play in Kelowna or even for the Giants?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Not an option...
He even has an out clause to avoid being paid $70K in the AHL... no way he would consider making LESS THAN minimum wage in the WHL.

Even if Dahlen is loaned​ to Sweden or the CHL (the latter is obviously not going to happen) he would still be paid for the first year of his ELC.

He is too old to have his ELC slide.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Even if Dahlen is loaned​ to Sweden or the CHL (the latter is obviously not going to happen) he would still be paid for the first year of his ELC.

He is too old to have his ELC slide.

I don't think he would be "paid".... I think the year just burns away without any $ transfer.
He would make $70K if he plays in the AHL. He would make $925K in the NHL..
Zero money from the Canucks if in the CHL or overseas.
And he would only effect the cap when in the NHL.
That's my understanding.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I don't think he would be "paid".... I think the year just burns away without any $ transfer.
He would make $70K if he plays in the AHL. He would make $925K in the NHL..
Zero money from the Canucks if in the CHL or overseas.
And he would only effect the cap when in the NHL.
That's my understanding.
I assumed completing a year of an ELC meant the player got paid his salary for that year, but it looks like that's not necessarily the case.

From article 9.4
The maximum compensation payable to a Group 1 Player who is playing in the Major Juniors shall be U.S. $10,500 per League Year.

And 11.19
Loan to Clubs Outside North America. The SPC of any Player may contain a clause that provides that, in the event his NHL Club Loans the Player to a club outside the NHL, during the period of such Loan, the Player shall have the option to be Loaned to a club of his choice outside North America. The clause may relieve the NHL Club of the obligation to pay the Player his Paragraph 1 Salary for the duration of such Loan if such relief is expressly stated in the provision, but the NHL Club shall otherwise be responsible for all other payments due to the Player by the NHL Club pursuant to his SPC. Such clause shall be subject to any applicable Player Transfer Agreement between the NHL and a hockey federation and/or the IIHF in effect, at the time of the Loan. The Player shall be permitted to make financial arrangements for compensation and other benefits with the club outside North America for the duration of the Loan, which financial compensation and benefits shall not be included in Averaged Club Salary, Actual Club Salary, League-wide Player Compensation or the Players' Share. The Club shall be required to provide to the NHL and the NHLPA in accordance with Exhibit 3 any loan agreement entered into in relation to such Loan by no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the day following the day the Club has received the executed loan agreement.

So $10,500 max from the Canucks if he goes to the CHL. If he goes to Sweden the Canucks still owe him his minor league salary, unless they have an agreement otherwise.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I assumed completing a year of an ELC meant the player got paid his salary for that year, but it looks like that's not necessarily the case.

From article 9.4

And 11.19

So $10,500 max from the Canucks if he goes to the CHL. If he goes to Sweden the Canucks still owe him his minor league salary, unless they have an agreement otherwise.

Thanks for the clarification! :thumbu:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

its interesting, they must really think he can get here next year, because his contract won't slide if he doesn't and they could have gotten an extra year if they just left him in europe

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I like the kid,has some great hands.My question still is ,,,wth is Benning trying to build here.
You dont build a soft as butter team to play in the pacific,with Sj,Ana,Cal,Edm,La,.
I dont get it.

Dahlen doesn't really play soft, he's kind of like Burrows, a guy who loves to get in front of the net.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Dahlen doesn't really play soft, he's kind of like Burrows, a guy who loves to get in front of the net.

I would add that the league appears to be heading in the direction of skill and speed. I do not think a team of bruisers will be needed.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Yes i did hear that,but do ya think he is just a lil small for teams like la,sj,,ect.
Like im saying i dont get what Benning is trying to build.We are a younger but very soft team thats going to get beat up nightly.But what do i know.I do like this Dahlin kid tho.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yes i did hear that,but do ya think he is just a lil small for teams like la,sj,,ect.
Like im saying i dont get what Benning is trying to build.We are a younger but very soft team thats going to get beat up nightly.But what do i know.I do like this Dahlin kid tho.

By the time the Canucks are good again SJ and LA will be the least of our worries. We'll be lining up against the Oilers, Flames and Coyotes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let me see if I have this straight....Dahlen has the option of bypassing the AHL and heading back to Sweden if he doesn't make the Canucks, where he'd earn a lot more money.

Same deal Tryamkin had in his contract, but the Canucks tried to send him to the minors anyway....and posters were railing away at him when he refused to go.

Hopefully the same posters will cut Dahlen some slack if, after 10 games or so, it's clear he isn't ready and heads back to the Swedish Hockey League, which effectively puts him out of commission for a full year in terms of a call-up.

..or do we just accept the fact that a 'double-standard' is the way the Canucks do business with some players.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Was this ever in doubt? Guess it's nice that a routine transaction took place in a routine fashion since it isn't a given anymore with this franchise.

By the time the Canucks are good again SJ and LA will be the least of our worries. We'll be lining up against the Oilers, Flames and Coyotes.

Hell, I doubt a 35 year old Connor McDavid will be the worst of our worries. :cry:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I like the kid,has some great hands.My question still is ,,,wth is Benning trying to build here.
You dont build a soft as butter team to play in the pacific,with Sj,Ana,Cal,Edm,La,.
I dont get it.

This is narrative is getting old, you only need 2-3 "big" players. Skill, speed, and IQ is what matters.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
This is narrative is getting old, you only need 2-3 "big" players. Skill, speed, and IQ is what matters.

Probably true but "tough" players excel in the playoffs. If your tough players also have skill speed and IQ good things will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad