Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
unless he still has mono issues he should at least be on an shl club. perhaps there is a family situation that makes him want to be close to home.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is certainly not good news.

If he never plays in the NHL (big IF, just spitballing here) I wonder if those who support Benning will call the Burrows trade a bad trade.

I, on the other hand (and I suspect there are a few others as well), will still see this as a good trade where we sold on a pending UFA who was no longer in our plans for a young player who looked very promising. But nonetheless it'll be interesting if certain people stick to their principles or if they flip flop again.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

If he never plays in the NHL (big IF, just spitballing here) I wonder if those who support Benning will call the Burrows trade a bad trade.

I, on the other hand (and I suspect there are a few others as well), will still see this as a good trade where we sold on a pending UFA who was no longer in our plans for a young player who looked very promising. But nonetheless it'll be interesting if certain people stick to their principles or if they flip flop again.

Is that Y2k giving a compliment to Benning? Did the ghost of Christmas past happen to visit?

I don't see him not signing with the Canucks. From all the interviews he had he has been quite positive... hoping we get him locked up this January.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Is that Y2k giving a compliment to Benning? Did the ghost of Christmas past happen to visit?

I don't see him not signing with the Canucks. From all the interviews he had he has been quite positive... hoping we get him locked up this January.

I said I liked the trade the day it was made. I'm just very negative with Benning because he does a lot of stupid things. This wasn't one of them, even if Dahlen doesn't play a game here.

just22

Aug 2, 2009

Uhh, didn't we already sign him earlier in the year?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Just about everyone loved the trade. It also highlighted what a mess Benning has made of previous years.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

What trade are you comparing it to? Has Benning trade a young prospect for a vet at the trade deadline? If Benning trades say Lind for aging role player ufa we should be opposed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the prognosis for Dahlen?....people don't seem to talking much about him.....is he a legit NHL winger prospect?.....how much time will he need in Utica?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What's the prognosis for Dahlen?....people don't seem to talking much about him.....is he a legit NHL winger prospect?.....how much time will he need in Utica?

Well yeah he's a legit prospect, but not a blue chipper. Probably a decent chance he could be a legit top six scorer, more likely of the 2nd liner quality, but probably better odds that he ends up more of a Linden Vey type that's talented but can't quite cut it in the NHL.

I'm not making any scouting judgement here, this is just a general bias-free look at how prospects of his caliber tend to turn out.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Well yeah he's a legit prospect, but not a blue chipper. Probably a decent chance he could be a legit top six scorer, more likely of the 2nd liner quality, but probably better odds that he ends up more of a Linden Vey type that's talented but can't quite cut it in the NHL.

I'm not making any scouting judgement here, this is just a general bias-free look at how prospects of his caliber tend to turn out.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how willing he is to go to the dirty areas, he scores plenty of goals in tight- which gives me hope that he won't be such a push-over like Vey.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've been pleasantly surprised by how willing he is to go to the dirty areas, he scores plenty of goals in tight- which gives me hope that he won't be such a push-over like Vey.

Yes those would be positives, but again I'm not making any direct comparison or scouting judgement, rather I'm just placing the ball park for this caliber of prospect. Same thing could be said for Goldobin, Lind, or Gadjovich. I'm only guestimating but the odds on these types of players are probably something like 30% good NHLers (with small odds in there to be a very good NHLer), 40% tweeners, 30% busts. Using just a general player comparison that would be something like 30/40/30 to be a Baerstchi/Vey/Shinkaruk caliber player, respectively.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He is playing big minutes in a men's league that is a tier below AHL.
He could be choosing Timra over SHL teams to get to play a bigger role? Just more speculation obviously.

What I would take as a positive is that he is out pacing his last season while no longer being the benefactor of a certain Elias Pettersson on his line.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

V6e65op.gif

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He could be choosing Timra over SHL teams to get to play a bigger role? Just more speculation obviously.

What I would take as a positive is that he is out pacing his last season while no longer being the benefactor of a certain Elias Pettersson on his line.

I also like that he is the leading scorer on the team by a LOT over the next guy. Probably not going to be a star at the NHL level but seems like a guy who could play on either of your top 2 lines and be a good complimentary piece. Like a less dickish Brendan Gallagher.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Think he would get a big role on any team he went to. He was an even player with Petterson last year. He is 11 months older. I would expect he would be a very good producer in the Shl. Maybe near Petterson level.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
We owe alot to Dahlen.

If nothing else it helped us discover Elias pettersson last year in timra
What? Elias Pettersson was ranked in the first round before his draft season started. Dahlen being his teammate was a bonus and nothing more. If anything, Dahlen was getting a points boost from Pettersson when they were on the same line for parts of that season.

My gut tells me that Pettersson was on Gradin's radar long before we acquired Dahlen.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
quite possibly we were scouting dahlen because we were scouting pettersson and thus went after him from ottawa.

i would have thought shl teams would be after dahlen weeks ago rather than waiting until the season is more than half done. i am confused by this whole situation.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
If he stays, i'd imagine having the opportunity to play his team into the SHL would have a lot to do with it. It's not like they're just playing for some meaningless trophy, or he's on a bottom feeder team.

Maybe he shouldn't have gone back to that league in the first place, but him staying now is completely understandable imo. He's been playing on the same team for 3 years and if he leaves they've got no shot at advancing to the SHL. Hockey players tend to be pretty loyal to their team-mates for the most part. Can't be an easy decision for him at all.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Think he would get a big role on any team he went to. He was an even player with Petterson last year. He is 11 months older. I would expect he would be a very good producer in the Shl. Maybe near Petterson level.

Like I said, just speculation. Just coming up with a reason for him to not go to SHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad