Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lol. nice goal but #25 would have been benched for his entire career if he defended like that in an nhl game.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Would be nice if the Canucks could pick up Hollander too but he's probably a mid to late 1st rounder and the Canucks need to draft some D.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Can somebody give me a overview on how he has been this year, not just from the stats.

Some people really seem to think he has Elias potential, yet others think he is a notch below.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
In terms of potential - Dahlen is a well below Pettersson and this is reflected in his draft position, trade value (Burrows at the deadline), comparables and production in a lower tier league. However while Dahlen probably has a lower ceiling, he probably also has a higher floor than Pettersson.

Comparing their numbers is difficult because Dahlen is playing in the 2nd tier league and Pettersson is playing in the top tier league. While Pettersson is listed as a C/RW and Dahlen is listed as a LW/C, Pettersson is more naturally a C and Dahlen is more naturally a LW. Their skill sets are somewhat complementary.

In terms of style, Pettersson is an open ice playmaker with excellent vision and silky hands. You could call him a perimeter player because he is not the type to make power moves to the slot like Bo Horvat and will not dominate along the boards like Henrik in his prime. He's an elusive skater who creates space by drawing defenders to himself then finding open teammate, but he can also dangle to shoot like Datsyuk (not saying he's a future HOFer mind you). Comparables for Pettersson range from Nick Backstrom to Ales Hemsky.

Dahlen - is compact, powerful and strong on the boards, protects the puck well in traffic and likes to drive the net. He has an excellent shot - not quite Boeser from the LHS, but a very good shot. He does not lack for vision or hockey IQ, but is not hesitant to use his shot. The only question about Dahlen is his skating which is not bad, but not explosive. Craig Button compared him to Radim Vrbata or Mike Camallari.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Dahlen should be in Utica RIGHT NOW being the ANSWER to the center problem

I don't know if Petterson is eligible? Something tells me he isn't, but if he is and he isn't in Utica next year, I swear to GOD I will ***** about it online all year

Prospects should play for OUR prospect team, if Mono was a problem he wouldn't be playing AT ALL

Players that are not drafted in the chl. Can play in the AHL the following year. So yes he is eligible

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

first time watching a full game of Dahlen #54 LW
pretty meh game as somewhat himself (would just go through the timestamps on the description) and as a whole team. constantly killing penalties even on 5v5 (big ice and not skating)
kept backtracking from AIK forcheckers

if you cant see him, he's LW for the majority of the game, so look for that side. on PP, he's usually down below the goal line

fairly intriguing dangerous offensive prospect for sure. he's got:
nifty hands and quite shifty (fairly similar to Pettersson) but not sure bout his playmaking/creativity yet
dangerous snap/clapper
good effort/battle

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I was shocked that he didn't start the season with the Comets. Another baffling decision. Wanted to see him get NHL games this year.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Funny to see Alex Friesen keading the league. However it seems that no player ever puts up a ton of points in this league either. It is not like Nylander destroyed the league and Petterson is doing the same as he did last year in the Shl. There are many legut nhl players who went through this league

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Funny to see Alex Friesen keading the league. However it seems that no player ever puts up a ton of points in this league either. It is not like Nylander destroyed the league and Petterson is doing the same as he did last year in the Shl. There are many legut nhl players who went through this league

Nylander played in the Allsvenskan at 16 and 17.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I didn't see this thread, so i assumed it wasn't updated... went and did the research my self only to see its been posted already about him leading the league in scoring rate.

Might as well share what i clicked around on
2017-18 Sweden 1st Division [Swe-1] standings at hockeydb.com
HockeyAllsvenskan

Now at 14pts in 11gms. 13th in scoring overall.. 1st in PPG.
1st place team of 14 teams... but middle of the pack in scoring.
#1 in scoring is the former Canuck Alex Friesen (26 yrs old).

upload_2017-11-17_11-3-0.png

Additional note... I learned that Eliteprospects is more accurate than Hockey DB.
In the link I provided above, you can see they don't show the existence of Leksands IF nor do they show that Friesen is playing in Sweden... it was giving me a headache trying to click around DB to find where that tweet came from... then I checked elite prospects and all was well.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think the only reason for him to finish the season in Sweden will be to complete the season with his teammates because he feels he owes it to them as their best player.

But considering the specific term of his contract expiring Jan 18th (i think it expires, or is it simply an out clause?), and the fact he's helped his team to a first place finish so far, his obligation would be complete if the contract expires. If it's simply an out clause, the loyalty aspect may play...

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

That has him 7th overall in league scoring with about 7 fewer games played than most of those above him. Couldn't ask for much more.

Would be nice to see him in the SHL or AHL come the new year though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snow Horvat

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

That has him 7th overall in league scoring with about 7 fewer games played than most of those above him. Couldn't ask for much more.

Would be nice to see him in the SHL or AHL come the new year though.

Ideally he moves to SEL in January, and then joins the Canucks for 4-5 games at end of our season since we're already burning a year on his contract so might as well see what he can do in NHL before going to AHL after Canucks season is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad