Speculation: Jokinen/Wallace on Waivers

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Meh, for the remainder of this season, better than losing him. Maybe it lights a fire under his ass and we forget all about his first 30 games this year.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
We have to take a contract back. We can lose jussi, but it won't be to alleviate money issues from the semin deal. We can trade him for Komi, and try to get TO to eat the appropriate amount to make it even. Things like that. Jr was trying to avoid it. Lebrun says teams are interested in jokinen, but didn't want the second year of the contact. We are taking something back we don't want to move him right now.

This is probably it. We will exchange Jussi for a defenseman that also has a year or 2 left on his deal. Still want no part of Komisarek though. But I would take Ryan Whitney.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Jokinen cleared waivers back in 2009 when he was waived by the Lightning and we later ended up trading our leftovers for him. This is a similar situation here: some teams want him but also want to get rid of something while acquiring him. If JR really wants to lose Jokinens contract he'll have to take something in return.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Spoke with one GM this morning who likes Jokinen and would have taken him if he was a pending UFA. Next year's $3 M on his deal scared teams

Salary cap is going down next season. Teams will choose carefully before adding to next year's payroll...

Per LeBrun. GMs know what's up.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
This is probably it. We will exchange Jussi for a defenseman that also has a year or 2 left on his deal. Still want no part of Komisarek though. But I would take Ryan Whitney.

They could take back Whitney, but that leaves Edmonton on the hook for Jokinen's 13-14 salary of $3M while Whitney walks as a UFA.

That's why Komisarek makes more sense. $4.5M cap hit in 13-14. Ideally, a deal of Jokinen for Komisarek has Toronto keep $1.5M of Komisarek's cap space in 13-14, so each team keeps the same cap space and just trades players.

Realistically, I can see Rutherford agreeing to keeping Komisarek at a $3.75M cap hit for 13-14, so Toronto and Carolina split the difference between Jokinen's cap hit and Komisarek's cap hit.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Do. not. want. Charmin soft, has been hobbled by injuries to the point where he's almost totally ineffective, and he's another PMD. Even when he was a Penguin I wasn't wild about him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
They could take back Whitney, but that leaves Edmonton on the hook for Jokinen's 13-14 salary of $3M while Whitney walks as a UFA.

That's why Komisarek makes more sense. $4.5M cap hit in 13-14. Ideally, a deal of Jokinen for Komisarek has Toronto keep $1.5M of Komisarek's cap space in 13-14, so each team keeps the same cap space and just trades players.

Realistically, I can see Rutherford agreeing to keeping Komisarek at a $3.75M cap hit for 13-14, so Toronto and Carolina split the difference between Jokinen's cap hit and Komisarek's cap hit.

But then you're essentially giving Toronto a player for free. As bad as Jokinen has been this season, is it worth helping a team you're fighting for the playoffs with just to get him off the team? Does Komisarek help this team that much?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
we could, but we typically arent a team that spends money without getting a return for it. if we get a defenseman we need for the same money id think jr is more likely to do that than pay for jussi to go away just to see him sign somewhere else.

it isnt cheap either, its essentially just giving him his full contract all at once. i forget the nature of the buyouts though, someone else can confirm.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
we could, but we typically arent a team that spends money without getting a return for it. if we get a defenseman we need for the same money id think jr is more likely to do that than pay for jussi to go away just to see him sign somewhere else.

it isnt cheap either, its essentially just giving him his full contract all at once. i forget the nature of the buyouts though, someone else can confirm.

The total buyout is spread over 2x the remainder of the deal. In Jokinen's case, $2M would be spread over 2 years, $1M a year.

It's not all up front, but it is still a sizable chunk each year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad