Movies: Joker 2 confirmed, and it's a musical???

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
First one was tremendous. The idea of a musical is meh to me, they certainly aren't a genre I'm sprinting to a movie theatre to watch opening weekend by any means.

However, the trailer is actually quite intriguing. This adaptation of the Joker from Phoenix is extremely intriguing to me, and A Star is Born might be the only musical I've ever watched and actually enjoyed with Gaga playing a significant role in why it was good IMO...

So, at least for me, I think the ingredients are here for this to actually be really good. If nothing else its a pretty bold decision and I would argue it might indicate that they're confident its a good story, to take this kind of approach.

We'll see, if the early reviews are even just decent I'll definitely check it out in theatre.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
So is it confirmed that it's a jukebox musical, and no original songs? The latter is the only reason I would've felt a bit of FOMO, but if so, I can move on from this movie worry free.

Only thing I'd still be curious about is how Todd Phillips is gonna shoehorn a gay joke into this one. He just can't help himself, even when he's making "serious art."

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I think Todd Phillips was pretty persistent that if he was gonna do a sequal, he didnt want it to be what people would expect which is to start leaning more into the batman aspects to continue the story. I think the "musical" idea is his way of keeping it unique and fresh.

Its also really not that much of a deviation. Hildur Guonadottirs score is such a huge part of the first movie...as is Phoenixes dancing.

Joker is a masterpiece. I think too many critics opinions of it were skewed by the politics going into it to really give it a fair chance. Im intrigued and excited ro see the sequal.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Only thing I'd still be curious about is how Todd Phillips is gonna shoehorn a gay joke into this one. He just can't help himself, even when he's making "serious art."
I still can't believe the guy who made the Joker was also the guy who was "here for the gangbang" in Old School.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I'm not a fan of musicals so I'm not sure what to think about this. The first movie was fantastic and I had high hopes for this movie but now it's more of a wait and see.....

Reactions: tacogeoff

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Might work as a musical. The kicker for me is how often it breaks out into music. If I can't through 10 minutes of plot without hearing a 5-minute song, I'm out.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad