Movies: Joker 2 confirmed, and it's a musical???

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I just wanted to bump the old thread but it's locked for some reason???

Anyways I liked the 1st, really feel it didn't need a sequel but we'll see

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just wanted to bump the old thread but it's locked for some reason???

It's closed due to inactivity. Apparently, since the site upgrade, threads are now automatically closed if they've had no replies for a year. I just asked in the site update thread if it's possible to disable that per forum, since it's a little unnecessary and inconvenient here. We'll see what they say.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What about it was a ripoff?
Have you ever seen Taxi Driver or King of Comedy? Watch either and you'll see some pretty obvious similarities.

I had hope that Joaquin Phoenix would be above the desire to turn this into a franchise, but it looks like I was wrong. This movie didn't need a sequel, and I have low expectations for it. Maybe it'll surprise, but I doubt it.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Have you ever seen Taxi Driver or King of Comedy? Watch either and you'll see some pretty obvious similarities.

I had hope that Joaquin Phoenix would be above the desire to turn this into a franchise, but it looks like I was wrong. This movie didn't need a sequel, and I have low expectations for it. Maybe it'll surprise, but I doubt it.

Meh, everyone will take a paycheck. For a guy like Phoenix, his paycheck from this could easily end up funding several indie ventures if he chooses.

I'm personally not clamoring for another movie from this series. If word of mouth is good though, will happily see it.

It was a billion dollar success though that a lot of people genuinely loved. A sequel was pretty inevitable.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Remember the fake outrage before the first movie even came out that it was gonna galvanize a bunch of incels or something?

That was some serious internet cringe.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It will never cease to satisfy me that Todd Phillips made the first movie because he was butthurt that he couldn't call people f****ts anymore and that people stopped watching his shitty Hangover movies, so he goes full red pill and blames cancel culture only to lose his Best Director award to a dude who made a comedy about Hitler.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Looking forward to this. I thoroughly enjoyed the first Joker movie. Not something I would have necessarily asked for, but I am optimistic it'll be good. I'm a sucker for anything that exists within the Batman universe, so I'm sure I'll love it.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I thought the reason for the original movie's existence was to do a comic book movie since "they're the only movies getting made" and use it as a vehicle for the mental health message Phillips wanted to get across (which I don't think turned out to be a positive one). After the first movie made a billion dollars, you'd think he'd be able to get funding for a movie without it involving people in capes punching each other, if he really wanted to explore such serious topics.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I thought the first movie sucked save for a couple of things (the leaking flower after Fleck's initial beating, the last scene in the asylum). I doubt I'll give the sequel a shot. Todd Phillips is kind of a trashcan as a writer/director.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Selling out for money.

Don’t know how you watch Joker and think a sequel fits into it at all. At least they can’t try to tie-in Batman to the story since Bruce was shown as a little kid already.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah this is such a dumb idea. I had my gripes with the first one but still recognize it was a strong piece of filmmaking overall.

The only direction this story can go is Fleck's full transformation and rise as the criminal mastermind Joker. With how the first one went, it was better to take Phoenix's take as separate from those that came before and leave what came next to the individual viewer's imagination.

I think if they bring Phillips back and maintain the tone, pacing, etc. it can still be a serviceable movie but I cannot fathom how a sequel will be as good or better. The descent into madness was more inherently compelling than the exercise of that madness could be, IMO.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah this is such a dumb idea. I had my gripes with the first one but still recognize it was a strong piece of filmmaking overall.

The only direction this story can go is Fleck's full transformation and rise as the criminal mastermind Joker. With how the first one went, it was better to take Phoenix's take as separate from those that came before and leave what came next to the individual viewer's imagination.

I think if they bring Phillips back and maintain the tone, pacing, etc. it can still be a serviceable movie but I cannot fathom how a sequel will be as good or better. The descent into madness was more inherently compelling than the exercise of that madness could be, IMO.

Agreed .... I mean it would have been cool in The Batman if it was Phoenix's Joker making the appearance instead, because they could connect the two with a second Joker movie.

But I don't see how this would turn out because it seems like it would just end up as more foreshadowing to Batman's emergence.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Agreed .... I mean it would have been cool in The Batman if it was Phoenix's Joker making the appearance instead, because they could connect the two with a second Joker movie.

But I don't see how this would turn out because it seems like it would just end up as more foreshadowing to Batman's emergence.
Yeah if they have any plans to loop Phoenix's Joker in with R Patman, there's a big continuity issue with having a much younger Joker in The Batman. I honestly don't see how they can do it. They're up to 3 separate Jokers in the DCU now.

Honestly I don't even know what they're doing with the universe anymore. Batfleck and Leto's joker are off the chopping block. Joker in his standalone was already in his mid 30s at best when Bruce Wayne was still a child. Then in The Batman you've got a late 20s early 30s Joker with a mid 20s to early 30s Batman.

I think if there's any more Justice League content you can maybe have Pattinson switch in for Affleck but even that would be a tough sell so I'm not sure how the former DCU is going to work going forward unless they bring Affleck back. But what I'm sure of, as I write this on the fly, I don't think there's any way to switch Phoenix into Pattinson's continuity to switch Poulter out. It just doesn't make sense.

I think ultimately we have to regard Phoenix's Joker as existing in his own continuity. Which might require the casting of a third Batman actor if they really want to milk this continuity.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Jack Nicholson channelling his inner Mick Jagger while dressed as a clown is a pretty low bar to be setting for "the best Joker ever"

This is basically unwatchable as an adult

I mean Prince not Mick. But that aside I'm convinced people only think that because of either nostalgia goggles or deference to Jack's legendary status as an actor or both. But it's a coin toss between Phoenix or Ledger for me.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yeah if they have any plans to loop Phoenix's Joker in with R Patman, there's a big continuity issue with having a much younger Joker in The Batman. I honestly don't see how they can do it. They're up to 3 separate Jokers in the DCU now.

Honestly I don't even know what they're doing with the universe anymore. Batfleck and Leto's joker are off the chopping block. Joker in his standalone was already in his mid 30s at best when Bruce Wayne was still a child. Then in The Batman you've got a late 20s early 30s Joker with a mid 20s to early 30s Batman.

I think if there's any more Justice League content you can maybe have Pattinson switch in for Affleck but even that would be a tough sell so I'm not sure how the former DCU is going to work going forward unless they bring Affleck back. But what I'm sure of, as I write this on the fly, I don't think there's any way to switch Phoenix into Pattinson's continuity to switch Poulter out. It just doesn't make sense.

I think ultimately we have to regard Phoenix's Joker as existing in his own continuity. Which might require the casting of a third Batman actor if they really want to milk this continuity.
None of this is a revelation. This is a self contained universe. If they want to include Batman in any sequels it will be yet another actor plus they will need to advance the story many years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad