Player Discussion: Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
He needs another Matthew Tkachuk on his line
Texier would seem like a good fit if Marchy doesn’t work out. This team has a lot of talented moving pieces that might work really well together. Give it a few games for the pieces to fall together.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
- I'm excited to see Johnny back with Boone and Kirill. I've made the point before that they didn't score much together last year. But compositionally it feels like this is what Johnny needs, two straight ahead players that can go to the net. And Boone and Kirill both look very quick right now. Boone was flying last night. I think it will be a good line.

- One area where I'm not pleased with Johnny is on the PP. He's slowing it down and spinning around trying to find a seam pass and not finding anything. I'd love to see Fantilli in that spot and Johnny in the bumper. Quick play over the perfect play.

Texier would seem like a good fit if Marchy doesn’t work out. This team has a lot of talented moving pieces that might work really well together. Give it a few games for the pieces to fall together.

I'd like to see Kirill's M Tkachuk impression.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Johnny needs a hard nosed coach like sutter… or Babcock. When he doesn’t have one this kind shit happens. Just like last year.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
It is only one regular season game, but what is the level of concern with his play? He was lethargic in the preseason. He was lethargic at the end of last season (which we all chalked up to the team being awful), and he was lethargic last night.
No concerns whatsoever

Reactions: Byrral

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
- One area where I'm not pleased with Johnny is on the PP. He's slowing it down and spinning around trying to find a seam pass and not finding anything. I'd love to see Fantilli in that spot and Johnny in the bumper. Quick play over the perfect play.

I co-sign this but would prefer Marchenko as bumper, he has a RH shot and physicality to stand the pressure.

Reactions: NotWendell

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Starting to realize Johnny at this point is a 70-80 point player. Not the 100 point player everybody has been salivating at. He had on massive year when he had the perfect line with top end two-way C and the best power forward in the world. The two seasons before are the ones to look at.

G/GPP/GP
2019 - 20200.260.83
2020 - 20210.340.88
2021 - 20220.491.40
2022 - 20230.260.90
2023 - 2024*0.000.67

Easy to spot the outlier there. Assuming some age related regression, Johnny will likely land around 2019-2021 numbers again. The elite offensive production needs to come from elsewhere.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Starting to realize Johnny at this point is a 70-80 point player. Not the 100 point player everybody has been salivating at. He had on massive year when he had the perfect line with top end two-way C and the best power forward in the world. The two seasons before are the ones to look at.

G/GPP/GP
2019 - 20200.260.83
2020 - 20210.340.88
2021 - 20220.491.40
2022 - 20230.260.90
2023 - 2024*0.000.67

Easy to spot the outlier there. Assuming some age related regression, Johnny will likely land around 2019-2021 numbers again. The elite offensive production needs to come from elsewhere.
That's still "Jackets elite".:):(

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Gaudreau has 685 career points in 685 games right now.

Gotta step it up or he falls below point per game in his career
Yeah, let’s not take into account that the entire team (coaches included) have sucked or been injured during the span that he’s been here. Doom and gloom. JG is average!

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Isn’t the point of paying big bucks to superstars that they’re making players around them better ?
Yes it is in a way, but ice hockey is still a team sport, heavily affected by the quality of the whole roster and coaching. The players are human, not programmable robots without emotions and mental states. Any star player can “underachieve” in a bad setting.

JG hasn’t fallen off a cliff. The whole team has been a mess, and that affects him as well as every other player on the team. Do you think that Matthew Tkachuk would be a 100 pts player on this team the last two years? I don’t think so.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Yes it is in a way, but ice hockey is still a team sport, heavily affected by the quality of the whole roster and coaching. The players are human, not programmable robots without emotions and mental states. Any star player can “underachieve” in a bad setting.

JG hasn’t fallen off a cliff. The whole team has been a mess, and that affects him as well as every other player on the team. Do you think that Matthew Tkachuk would be a 100 pts player on this team the last two years? I don’t think so.
Tkachuk would make us a much better hockey team, than Gaudreau does. Not sure about point totals though.

Reactions: MAHJ71

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Tkachuk would make us a much better hockey team, than Gaudreau does. Not sure about point totals though.
Pretty sure he'd do at least +95p even here. From what I've seen he hasn't been playing with Barkov, so his linemates in Florida are far from spectacular. It's been Verhaeghe + Duclair or something like that, and he's still playing at +110p pace.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pretty sure he'd do at least +95p even here. From what I've seen he hasn't been playing with Barkov, so his linemates in Florida are far from spectacular. It's been Verhaeghe + Duclair or something like that, and he's still playing at +110p pace.

The thing with that is that he has a superior support group with him.

Florida’s top9 has been among the best in the league the last couple of years.

Barkov takes an insane amount of pressure away from Tkachuk and Luostarinen- Lundell- Reinhart is just an unfair 3rd line

Said in another thread that Gaudreau should be the catalyst for the team and just hasn’t been.

Also just goes to show that Gaudreau isn’t the window and the team shouldn’t try to be build around Gaudreau.

The future, the core, the window goes through Fantilli/Jiricek/Johnson core and Gaudreau was a luxury. Not the franchise guy but a luxury.

Still would sign him 10/10 but you don’t build around your window around Gaudreaus of the World.
Just like New York shouldn’t and shouldn’t have with Panarin

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH

duclair doesn’t play for the panthers anymore.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
tkachuk mostly plays with bennett and verhaeghe. not exactly scrubs – verhaeghe in particular is a star-level player imo.

barkov tends to get the tougher assignments as others here said, but they've also had a pretty ridiculous third line (usually lundell + reinhart). luostarinen is also a monster – i really want him on the jackets but florida's definitely not gonna give him up.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Was talking about last season when Tkachuk scored 109p in 79gp. And i threw the names from my head. Doesnt really matter who played the other wing for Vertaegh and Tkachuk since they dont really have any star wingers that'd boost Tkachuk's stats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad