Johnny Gaudreau the First Flames Rookie to Hit 50 Points Since Jarome Iginla

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
tumblr_msricuXJGH1qb5wa3o1_500.gif

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gaudreau-helps-flames-double-ducks-6-3/

Gaudreau now has 18 goals to go with 32 assists in 66 games. He's the first Flames rookie to reach 50 points since Jarome Iginla had 21 goals and 29 assists in the 1996-97 season.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'm trying to think of a comparable great player to Johny . . .

The name that's coming to me is Denis Savard. Denis was just 5'10" and was quick and shifty like Johny G. I know Gaudreau is his own special player but I wonder how far he'll rise?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Too small, won't make it in the real NHL.

The kid is magical and fun to watch. He's still young but last night I think we saw a glimpse of his ability to just take over games.

Let's also never split up Hudler-Monahan-Johnny because that line tears it up.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Awesome achievement, love watching the kid play. So creative with the puck it really is a pleasure we have him on our team. Should be almost a point per game player in the next few seasons!

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Came to say I love watching this kid play. Exciting times for you Calgary fans. Really want to see you guys make the playoffs over the Kings and Sharks.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is incredibly impressive. I think we all kind of knew that we had something special on our hands this year... But has exceeded special by a landslide.

He might even get up to 60 points in his rookie season... It's insane.

Meanwhile our top rookie last year will eclipse the 50 point plateau as well; and might even get up to 30 goals... This while getting some ridiculously tough minutes and having some major assignments on the other side of the ice.

Overall the future looks great in Calgary. We don't even know where our Killer Jr will slot in next year.

Aug 21, 2014
This is incredibly impressive. I think we all kind of knew that we had something special on our hands this year... But has exceeded special by a landslide.

He might even get up to 60 points in his rookie season... It's insane.

Meanwhile our top rookie last year will eclipse the 50 point plateau as well; and might even get up to 30 goals... This while getting some ridiculously tough minutes and having some major assignments on the other side of the ice.

Overall the future looks great in Calgary. We don't even know where our Killer Jr will slot in next year.

Slot him as Backlund's Winger?

It'd be awesome if Gaudreau eclipses the 60 point mark..

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Does anyone have a gif of Johnny's shootout against Ottawa? That move is just filthy. Just shows the kid can do pretty much whatever he wants with the puck.

Comes in forehand, goes backhand, see's backhand's got no room, already on the goal line, so he goes forehand and 5 hole anyways!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone have a gif of Johnny's shootout against Ottawa? That move is just filthy. Just shows the kid can do pretty much whatever he wants with the puck.

Comes in forehand, goes backhand, see's backhand's got no room, already on the goal line, so he goes forehand and 5 hole anyways!

Not a gif, but here's the video:

[NHL]2014020983-917-h[/NHL]

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
Slot him as Backlund's Winger?

It'd be awesome if Gaudreau eclipses the 60 point mark..

I'd like to see him centering his own line. That way we can give Monahan's line and Backlund's line the tough defensive assignments and shelter Bennett the way we did for Monahan in his rookie year.

Something like:

Gaudreau Monahan Hudler
Bouma Backlund Jooris
Raymond Bennett Poirier
Colborne Stajan Jones

I think if Gaudreau scores 1 more point and passes Iginla, he'll be our highest-scoring rookie since Makarov (86 points in 89/90)

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Something like:

Gaudreau Monahan Hudler
Bouma Backlund Jooris
Raymond Bennett Poirier
Colborne Stajan Jones

Not bad, though I think Colborne and Jones on the fourth line are a waste personally. Jones has shown he's more of a top-9 player than when we first acquired him. He and Backlund have some nice chemistry.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Not bad, though I think Colborne and Jones on the fourth line are a waste personally. Jones has shown he's more of a top-9 player than when we first acquired him. He and Backlund have some nice chemistry.

I agree. Jooris would be on the 3rd or 4th line instead, with Poirer in the AHL. There is no rush to get him to the NHL, unless he wows the team. Ferland should be on the team next year on the 4th line. He has great chemistry with Stajan that I have seen so far.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma/Colborne - Backlund - Jones
Raymond - Bennett - Jooris
Colborne/Bouma - Stajan - Ferland
Bollig

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That Bollig - Stajan - Ferland line was a real treat to watch last night. We won by 3 against a top team because all 4 lines had great games.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think it's time for us to dig some 2014 offseason threads about Johnny... All those were pure gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad