Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau named as Flames' lone All-star

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
From an entertainment point of view, Gaudreau was the right choice.

From a merit standpoint, Backlund was robbed.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I made the same comment last night while watching the game, Calc.

Backlund is the most deserving player on the roster, but it's easy to understand why Gaudreau is there instead.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Further confirmation that the All-Star game is about sending the most marketable players, and not the best players (for the current season). Toews being sent is the perfect example.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Further confirmation that the All-Star game is about sending the most marketable players, and not the best players (for the current season). Toews being sent is the perfect example.

I'm happy John Scott went now. I wanna play a Tupac song and give the NHL a special hand symbol.

Why the heck is Toews going lol?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Fully agreed. If they needed to send 4 Hawks (they don't) then they should have at least sent Panarin over Toews.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Has Fowler been that good this year?

Nope if they're going to select a defenceman from Anaheim they should at least select one of Lindholm or Manson who are some of the league's best defensively. I know why Fowler was selected over Hamilton (Because Hamilton has an all offense no defense reputation) but based on merit I don't think he should've been.

Also not that it was unexpected but I laughed when I saw Toews made it over Panarin.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Toews going stretches the credibility of this nomination process to and through the breaking point. He's got 20 points. Panarin has 41. More than double.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Toews going stretches the credibility of this nomination process to and through the breaking point. He's got 20 points. Panarin has 41. More than double.

While I certainly don't disagree with you, but Towes has been playing tough minutes against the other teams best players, with often 2 less than thrilling line mates (especially when Hossa is out).

Panarin plays softer minutes with 2 top line mates.

Now I would have picked Panarin too, but I don't think its that laughable, especially when one considers that Toews is an excellent face off guy and playing 3 on 3 is all about possession. He's also relentless on the back check and all about getting possession back.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Considering all this Backlund love and the fact that he's on pace to get a career year I wonder if he'll be a Selke finalist considering that the big three are having down years points-wise? Or will they just pick Koivu Kesler and Crosby or something

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Considering all this Backlund love and the fact that he's on pace to get a career year I wonder if he'll be a Selke finalist considering that the big three are having down years points-wise? Or will they just pick Koivu Kesler and Crosby or something
Kesler has it sewn up

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
IfwunKa.png

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I stopped watching the ASG after 2008 (and that was a great game) and honestly don't miss it. I wish they would get rid of this dumb ********. Or hold after the conference finals.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The new format is a huge improvement. Makes it so they don't have to intentionally not try, which leads to a way better product. I'll be watching tomorrow.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oh ****, yeah, the all-star game is here. Nice. It'll give me a chance to catch up on some studying; because there's about a 0% chance of me actually watching that :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad