Seravalli: Johnny Gaudreau informed the Flames he will not be returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
This is where management has internal deadlines so you do not get to this point. This is a business. You do not let a guy like JG just get to UFA. You bite the bullet and get something for him well before. You give him a deadline to sign something.

He will still produce high for a good 4/5 years I think. After that, he won't be deadweight. He is a smart hockey player. Durable.

I'm not asking this as a pointed question at all, but how often do players like him keep producing at star level into their early-to-mid 30's?

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I'm not asking this as a pointed question at all, but how often do players like him keep producing at star level into their early-to-mid 30's?
Most peak in their mid 20's I believe, some higher. Look at Pavelski and giroux. Look how old they are and what they have produced. I think JG easily keeps producing.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Needs to be repeated i guess: team can go 10% over during the off-season. Thats 8 mil right there. On day 1 Ellis to ltir. Thats 6 mil.

Many options.

My money is on a 5-6 mil guy to be moved for actual assets: provorov or Konecny.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Needs to be repeated i guess: team can go 10% over during the off-season. Thats 8 mil right there. On day 1 Ellis to ltir. Thats 6 mil.

Many options.

My money is on a 5-6 mil guy to be moved for actual assets: provorov or Konecny.

Yes but once they are in that situation the other GMs have them over a barrel. Its a last resort and you are probably going to get a better deal to move out salary before you are in that situation.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Yes but once they are in that situation the other GMs have them over a barrel. Its a last resort and you are probably going to get a better deal to move out salary before you are in that situation.
You really think you would not find 1 lousy team not interested in trading for Provorov and-or Konecny? At a discount. Not giveaway. Discount.

not even talking JVR and his 24 goals.

Or Sanheim. Or a Weber to Vegas type deal with Ellis.

But yes i would make room before.

Phila’s 1st in 23 is nuts.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You really think you would not find 1 lousy team not interested in trading for Provorov and-or Konecny? At a discount. Not giveaway. Discount.

Oh of course! Just saying you are probably getting a better deal before you have yourself backed into a corner.

Reactions: JRichard

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Of course you are pumped.
but that dodging a bullet line will be something in here for the losers of the JG derby.
I get that... and I'm sure we'll try to tell ourselves the same thing if he goes to Philly or elsewhere... but thinking about him on the wing of Hughes or Hischier for the next few years just makes me too excited. The Devils have the best prospect pool they have had in over 20 years and this is the first time since they lost to the Kings in 2012 and Parise, Kovalchuk, Clarkson left that I actually feel like we have something to look forward to.

Reactions: JRichard

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Many options.

Imagine building around Ristolainen& DeAngelo in 2022

• Haha
Reactions: sabresnyper

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

It's absolutely insane to think that teams wouldn't be in on Provorov or TK. They're both talented players at a shit org.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Imagine building around Ristolainen& DeAngelo in 2022
On d i prefer thinking around York, Sanheim, Andrae, Attard, Zamula. Would mean 1-2 more years of suffering. DeAngelo i dont mind at all. Will help pp imo. Risto well he is what he is and 2 mil overpaid.

Chrysalis99

Fredo Fatquilini SUCKS
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2021
Danbury Trashers
The only way a team does well with Johnny Hockey is to surround him with good young players on cheap contracts and veterans on value contracts. When you eat that much of your cap for one guy there doesn’t leave many options. McDavid is the only player worthy of that in the league so I guess we’ll see if Johnny is too because at whatever monster contract he gets he’s going to have to carry the entire team on his back.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The goal is to win the cup. If a player can help you do that then you want him on your team.

1 cup in the next 2-3 years >>>>>>>>>>>> being a better team 6 years from now with no cup to show for it.
They weren’t going to win with him

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Losing your best player is never dodging a bullet.
I take back what I said. I assumed he would be getting 11 million plus on the open market, especially after the offer from Calgary was reported to be over 10 million.

He clearly valued getting out of Calgary higher than the extra million a year and added year to an 8 year deal. I actually gained more respect for him after him going to Columbus, however there's no accounting for taste. Columbus got a good deal here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad