Seravalli: Johnny Gaudreau informed the Flames he will not be returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Exactly. Isle fans all say we dodged a bullet with Tavares, but everybody knows that's just taking the sting away. If he had stayed, he would have been adored and I'm guessing the Isles would have been even more successful than they have been (up until last season).

We went through the same thing with Parise. I really feel for Flames fans here. You do everything you can to keep the player and they still leave for nothing. It's brutal.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We went through the same thing with Parise. I really feel for Flames fans here. You do everything you can to keep the player and they still leave for nothing. It's brutal.
Yeah...it is. I guess at the end of the day if you can go to bed and say you did everything in your power to keep the guy...can still feel like you did your best. Trading his rights for a 4th round pick at the draft....quitters don't get GM jobs.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
for how long would he be the best player for. It’s honestly a good thing he’s gone 2-3 years in the future
The goal is to win the cup. If a player can help you do that then you want him on your team.

1 cup in the next 2-3 years >>>>>>>>>>>> being a better team 6 years from now with no cup to show for it.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
although it might sting now, I think long term Calgary will be happy they didn't pay JG 10m x 8yrs...don't think that contract ages well personally.

Calgary going after who now? Would think maybe a C like Kadri, Copp, Strome, Trocheck would be of interest. Have to think this is the last year Monahan is there unless he turns it around which doesn't seem likely.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Damn the Flames about to take a Habs-like 2021 dive from contender to lottery team?
They won’t be close to bottom 5 unless Tkachuk leaves too which is very possible. But they’ll likely miss the playoffs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I will be shocked if he ends up anywhere but Philly.
Doesn’t Philly need to move JVR’s contract first? If Johnny isn’t signed by another team this morning, then he’s waiting for Philly to clear space for him.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Now, it looks like it. However, at the trade deadline, different story.
I wasn't referring to the trade deadline. I was referring to the trading of his rights a couple of weeks ago when it would have been obvious to the Flames that they would be losing him to free agency. They could have traded his rights to an eastern team he wanted to go to,

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
I don't understand why people think the Flames have to tear down now. Trade Tkachuk for a couple good NHL pieces and be aggressive in FA with a strong FA class. Still have a good D and a #1 center.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
I wasn't referring to the trade deadline. I was referring to the trading of his rights a couple of weeks ago when it would have been obvious to the Flames that they would be losing him to free agency. They could have traded his rights to an eastern team he wanted to go to,
My mistake. Your right, Treliving would’ve been smart to trade his rights a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: Mike Jones

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Damn just after we got a battle of Alberta too, Calgary needs to spend whatever money they would have gave Johnny very wisely if they want to remain competitive.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Why? They were still trying to re-sign him up until last night.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
For anyone questioning this guy's worth, he just dropped the best primary 5v5 scoring season since they began tracking it in 2009-10:

1657716060508.png

Except for Marner, everyone one on that list has won at least 2 of the following: Hart, Richard, Art Ross, or Conn Smythe.

Reactions: BRobMint

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Why? They were still trying to re-sign him up until last night.
That's what they have to say to their fans but any GM with half a brain could have figured out that Johnny was gone. The math, alone, didn't work. The Flames have a few more free agents to deal with and there just aren't enough cap dollars for everyone.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The same can be said about alot of great players though. Too much is made about players scoring rate in the playoffs. Before this season, what is Mcdavid playoff scoring like? I’m legitimately asking. Playoff scoring is generally much lower than the regular season. This season seemed like an anomaly though.

22 points in 21 games.

Last year he managed only 4 points in 4 games

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
No doubting his quality now, but JG will be 35 when this contract enters its final year I think. How many years is he going to produce for honestly?

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Unlike Parise, JG didn't really misled the fans he was coming back.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think he's going to end up in the North East and likely Philly, but I'd love to see some screwball type move where he ends up with like the Ducks to Kraken at this point.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
This is where management has internal deadlines so you do not get to this point. This is a business. You do not let a guy like JG just get to UFA. You bite the bullet and get something for him well before. You give him a deadline to sign something.

No doubting his quality now, but JG will be 35 when this contract enters its final year I think. How many years is he going to produce for honestly?
He will still produce high for a good 4/5 years I think. After that, he won't be deadweight. He is a smart hockey player. Durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad