Confirmed with Link: John Tortorella Has Been Fired and the subsequent coaching search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Injury prone? Nope.

He had a shoulder injury in SJ. No significant injuries other than that the last 4 seasons.

75+ games last 3 years. Shoulder was only concern and showed zero ileffects after trade.

Concussion knocked him not. Not nagging injuries.

Exactly. He's been injured recently in San Jose. That's what I said. And quite possibly, that's the only reason San Jose traded him in the first place.

Cake or Death

And Im not saying Brassard is a terrible player, im saying he is a 3rd line center. Gaborik was traded for a 3rd line center, a 4th line bum, and a Dman who could be good.

Brassard's points in the last three seasons were 47, 41 and paced for 50 this season. That's exactly a second line center.

Stugots

YNWA
Jan 10, 2009
Upper West Side
Wow. Saw this news on twitter when I got out of class and this is my first time commenting on it. I'm a bit surprised considering 1) this was a shortened season, 2) we got to the ECF last season, and 3) we got out of the first round this season. I was thinking he would definitely get at least one more year but I'd say I'm content with this move. I hope whoever is hired can fix our transition game as I think breaking out of our own zone is one of our major weaknesses (aside from the obvious one, scoring).

Tackaberry

Old School
Dec 12, 2009
glad he is gone.
avery was right.
get a coach who wants to score goals and I bet we win more games.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Torts! Finally! Fired!
Now fire Sather and we should be alright! Oh, buy out Richards...

I am okay with anyone as a repalacement at this point. Even Paul Maurice looks like a good candidate. The rest of the available HCs appears even better.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I dont see a point here. Pretty sure there isn't one.

If you think the drafting has been so good, care to explain how the Rangers have ended up with zero elite homegrown players and very few homegrown depth players in 13(!!!!!!) years and counting?

Oddly, the Rangers rank 4th in GP among players they drafted since 2004. Those who have played in the NHL are scattered all over the place though. Korpikoski, Montoya, Byers, Dubinsky, Petruzalek, Cliche, Dupont, Pyatt, Russell, Sanguinetti, Anisimov, Grachev, Kundratek, Weise, Horak.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
I love this, out with Torts and now bring in the offense, to me it should be a young new coach to the NHL that has guts and brings new air.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I dont see a point here. Pretty sure there isn't one.

If you think the drafting has been so good, care to explain how the Rangers have ended up with zero elite homegrown players and very few homegrown depth players in 13(!!!!!!) years and counting?

Lundqvist
Possibly Staal, before his eye.

Depth
Callahan
Dubinsky (Traded)
Stepan
Anisimov(Traded)
Girardi (undrafted)
Hags
Del Z

We haven't drafted elite offensive talent, but come on now.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
since when was Kreider center? we would have to replace Richards with someone.. step-brass-miller-boyle? oof

I am of the opinion they need a wing more than a center.

Unless they resign Clowe, they are missing a top 6 wing. And I dont think Cally or Hags are top 6 locks either, either could be dropped to the 3rd line where they would fit.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sather did say that Tortorella was shocked to hear the news, but that he took it like a gentleman. The decision is believed to be unrelated to the team’s 2012-13 regular-season record and second-round playoff elimination, but rather to the core belief by management that the club’s players had grown weary of Tortorella’s overbearing personality.

Someone has been watching the playoffs

As for moving forward, Sather continued to be evasive about the type of coach he would like to hire. Yet he did point out there are similarities between the teams still alive fighting for the Stanley Cup – the Penguins and Bruins in the East finals, and the Kings set to take on the winner of Wednesday night’s Game 7 between the Blackhawks and Red Wings.

“If you look at the teams that are going to be contending for the Stanley Cup, there are specific ingredients that every team has and some teams don’t have,†Sather said. “I’d like to take the best of what those teams have and integrate them into our team.â€

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/rangers_coach_john_tortorella_fired_o3QSNv3vysfM6ujifN1MWI

They attack. Don't collapse around the net. More aggressive.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Brassard's points in the last three seasons were 47, 41 and paced for 50 this season. That's exactly a second line center.

It's a second line center on a team that doesn't score a lot of goals. People expect this team to be near the tops in goals scored without the players to do that.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
Hopefully they consider Boucher. He would have better goaltending and defense to work with than what he had in Tampa, in addition to some good offensive guys. Worth a shot.

Plus he has that awesome scar :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad