Confirmed with Link: John Tortorella Has Been Fired and the subsequent coaching search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I like her as well, she's just trying to create something out of nothing because she needs re-tweets and stuff to feed her cats.

I don't think AV fits New York at all not the team, the city.

It will probably be Ruff because you know, old guys rule.

If it is Messier I will be severely disappointed in this franchise.

I'd rather a younger guy but I've said that multiple times now.

But its not going to happen. Messier's "coaching experience" is coaching team canada twice in european tournaments. The guy has no interest in coaching.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hope Mike Haviland gets an interview. Won championships as a HC at numerous minor league levels, won a cup with Chicago as an AC. Friend of mine from Leonardo. No more retreads, give someone younger a shot.

Interesting I remember Haviland as a player at Elmira College. He played a little bit in the minors.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I will say that Sather declaring June as the deadline for finding coach means that they are looking at every possible option.

There could be scenario that Babcock could get released if Detroit can't sign him to an extension and expresses an interest to be let go. Pipe dream, I know, but works in the time frame.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
But its not going to happen. Messier's "coaching experience" is coaching team canada twice in european tournament. The guy has no interest in coaching.

IDK I think Messier will do anything if he thinks he is going into "saviour" mode, which is also why I don't think it will actually happen considering the coaching market is actually fairly saturated right now.

I love Mess obviously, but dislike big time players as coaches. When it comes naturally to you and you understand it without the X's and O's it's hard to explain it to people that don't. That's why I think Gretzky was such a lousy coach.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I will say that Sather declaring June as the deadline for finding coach means that they are looking at every possible option.

There could be scenario that Babcock could get released if Detroit can't sign him to an extension and expresses an interest to be let go. Pipe dream, I know, but works in the time frame.

Would cry tears of joy.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Just saw this thread. Sorry Torts but you wore out your welcome. My only regret is that the roster was blown up to bring in "his" guys and now he's gone.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
IDK I think Messier will do anything if he thinks he is going into "saviour" mode, which is also why I don't think it will actually happen considering the coaching market is actually fairly saturated right now.

I love Mess obviously, but dislike big time players as coaches. When it comes naturally to you and you understand it without the X's and O's it's hard to explain it to people that don't. That's why I think Gretzky was such a lousy coach.

This. To guys like Mess the game is innate. They don't have to think about it. They can just go ahead and play. Its the pluggers that makefor better coaches .

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012

I know you're saying it is a long shot... but I don't even know what you base this on.

Babcock's contract goes through 14-15. What do you mean by can't sign him to an extension? They don't have to in order to keep him. Am I missing something? Would this be a pre-emptive, you aren't staying in 2 years, so we fire you now, kind of thing you're proposing? I don't follow.

Not to mention he has arguably done the best job one could expect him to do with the team he has. No way he leaves Detroit.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

Its not going to happen. This is a team that is trying to contend. So, your going to put a novice coach(who doesn't even have minor league experience) into the driver's seat?

Its not happening...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Sather should trade all his young guys and future firsts for nothing but veterans. Preferably Penguins and Kings.

Because drafting is obviously "horrid"

Yeah. Or just fire Sather, bring back Neil Smith, trade everybody for guys on the Kings, and then enjoy the one Cup and subsequent free fall.

Brilliant!

I dont see a point here. Pretty sure there isn't one.

If you think the drafting has been so good, care to explain how the Rangers have ended up with zero elite homegrown players and very few homegrown depth players in 13(!!!!!!) years and counting?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
woohoo. finally.

i am no longer the president of the fire torts club. im retired !!!

:laugh:

heres to hoping they find someone who will play the kids and open things up a bit.

sign me some euro softy trash immediately !!!!

oh, and trade mcilrath on draft day and move up..... PLEASE :nod:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I dont see a point here. Pretty sure there isn't one.

If you think the drafting has been so good, care to explain how the Rangers have ended up with zero elite homegrown players and very few homegrown depth players in 13(!!!!!!) years and counting?

Henrik Lundqvist.

Yes, he counts.

Not to defend Sather. But Lundqvist is an elite player that was drafted by this team.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Injury prone? Nope.

He had a shoulder injury in SJ. No significant injuries other than that the last 4 seasons.

75+ games last 3 years. Shoulder was only concern and showed zero ileffects after trade.

Concussion knocked him not. Not nagging injuries.

Only a matter of time with a 30 year old who uses his head as a punching board.

Bigger issue is total inability of the rangers to draft anyone who is 6'2 220+ and plays that kind of physical high traffic game.

Kershaw

I would not be shocked to see Messier get an assistant coaching job. But Head Coach would be pretty bad.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I know you're saying it is a long shot... but I don't even know what you base this on.

Babcock's contract goes through 14-15. What do you mean by can't sign him to an extension? They don't have to in order to keep him. Am I missing something? Would this be a pre-emptive, you aren't staying in 2 years, so we fire you now, kind of thing you're proposing? I don't follow.

Not to mention he has arguably done the best job one could expect him to do with the team he has. No way he leaves Detroit.

Its a reach for sure. But Babcock has said before he wasn't sure if he wanted to stay in Detroit. The organization is in a transitional mode. They are getting older, not younger. Already have started to groom a potential replacement with Renney.

I would think that if Babcock, considering what he has done for the Wings, wanted to be released; they would abide by it.

Babcock certainly knows he would make a crap load of money(more than he would with Detroit)if he got the Rangers job.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Which one of them scored 4 goals in their first 5 playoff games and was arguably the MVP of a playoff series?

Again, Kreider. Similar comparison. Kreider didn't do **** this year. Lets see how he does in his first full professional season before people start declaring him the next Bobby Orr after 1 5 game series.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I don't think Tortorella was a dumb man. Yes, highly abrasive and impersonable, but not dumb. He knew the limitations of the roster, seeing them everyday. I think there was a logical reason why he implemented that collapsing style of defense and stressed puck possession deep.

It made sense in 11-12. This year we had a different team and he was too stubborn to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad