Status
Not open for further replies.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
This is true.
Did Capuano also inflate his numbers?
No he didnt. If you want to compare them since Capuano was fired then JT has 118 points in 117 games while Marchand has 127 points in 101 games. Trying to argue that Tavares is better than Marchand is even more ridiculous than arguing Kyle Turris is better than Kadri. When comparing players the last 2 seasons are way more relevant than what either player did 3+ years ago.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Tavares will show this year that hes the better player.

Not looking good so far champ.

It's not like Tavares didn't have offensive support last year, Bailey and Lee had 70 and 60 points, Barzal outscored him and Eberle had 60 points as well and Tavares still didn't outproduce Marchand.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Not looking good so far champ.

It's not like Tavares didn't have offensive support last year, Bailey and Lee had 70 and 60 points, Barzal outscored him and Eberle had 60 points as well and Tavares still didn't outproduce Marchand.

Bailey and Lee <<< Pastarnak and Bergeron.

Bergeron was talked about as a legit top Hart Candidate last year before the injury kind of derailed him. Marchand is a great player but he's also in a much better situation.

Seems like there's an axe to grind here? He might still outscore Tavares but Tavares is a center and being a good player isn't limited to just points. Having an all time great two-way player like Bergeron next to you isn't a benefit JT has, as a Winger that's gotta be helpful for Marchand to rack up the points. I think JT will have a better year this year in TO compared to last year.

Reactions: bossram

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Bailey and Lee <<< Pastarnak and Bergeron.

Bergeron was talked about as a legit top Hart Candidate last year before the injury kind of derailed him. Marchand is a great player but he's also in a much better situation.

Seems like there's an axe to grind here? He might still outscore Tavares but Tavares is a center and being a good player isn't limited to just points. Having an all time great two-way player like Bergeron next to you isn't a benefit JT has, as a Winger that's gotta be helpful for Marchand to rack up the points. I think JT will have a better year this year in TO compared to last year.
One thing Tavares finally has is a winger of Marner's capability which he never had with the Islanders. If anything Tavares was the main reason Matt Moulson and Kyle Okposo got overpaid and have not been the same since they left the Islanders as UFA's, especially Molson who is in the AHL because he's overpaid and stop scoring goals like he once did.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I agree with Shirokov's argument here.

Tavares was good enough to inflate far lesser players numbers and got them overpaid. Marchand plays with arguably the best two-way player of the modern era and has had such talents as Seguin and Pastrnak on his opposite wing.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016

Tavares was good enough to inflate far lesser players numbers and got them overpaid. Marchand plays with arguably the best two-way player of the modern era and has had such talents as Seguin and Pastrnak on his opposite wing.
Marchand look like a 100 points player now. I don't see how it's close. He's a beast defensively as well

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Also talents like Connolly and Caron.

Interesting... hasn't sniffed 90 yet. Great analysis.

Not the best try here.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
This poll is once again another great example of the hockey knowledge of the average HF user.

Living in a world where people seriously think Brad Marchand is a better hockey player than John Tavares.

YIKES.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
This poll is once again another great example of the hockey knowledge of the average HF user.

Living in a world where people seriously think Brad Marchand is a better hockey player than John Tavares.

YIKES.

How dare they think a guy with 103 points in his past 82 regular season games is better than Tavares. Even this season, with Tavares having a great start... he still has less points than Marchand.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
How dare they think a guy with 103 points in his past 82 regular season games is better than Tavares. Even this season, with Tavares having a great start... he still has less points than Marchand.

And if that isn't a great indicator that stats don't tell the entire story then I don't know what is. Any team would be worse off if they gave up Tavares for Marchand, period. No sane Leafs fan would even think about trading Tavares for Marchand straight up.

It also helps to watch the games and watch the players play hockey. If you're only looking at points then you'd take Marchand over Matthews and Matthews is on a different level over that manlet, literally and figuratively.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
And if that isn't a great indicator that stats don't tell the entire story then I don't know what is. Any team would be worse off if they gave up Tavares for Marchand, period. No sane Leafs fan would even think about trading Tavares for Marchand straight up.

It also helps to watch the games and watch the players play hockey. If you're only looking at points then you'd take Marchand over Matthews and Matthews is on a different level over that manlet, literally and figuratively.
giphy.gif

Reactions: dwright5314

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

Didn't seem to be on another level last playoffs while Marchand tore up the Leafs, figuratively or literally.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No he didnt. If you want to compare them since Capuano was fired then JT has 118 points in 117 games while Marchand has 127 points in 101 games. Trying to argue that Tavares is better than Marchand is even more ridiculous than arguing Kyle Turris is better than Kadri. When comparing players the last 2 seasons are way more relevant than what either player did 3+ years ago.

yeah this works quite a bit in marchands favor considering he wasnt even in the same universe as JT up until then right?

the turris vs kadri thing is an awful comparabler as well. kadri has been better recently AND overall for his career, so no, it isnt like JT vs marchand

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Tavares 6 goals, Marchand 0 goals

fun fact marchand has 0 pts against non lotto teams from last year.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Didn't seem to be on another level last playoffs while Marchand tore up the Leafs, figuratively or literally.

You're right, I'm sure no Bruins fans would rather have Matthews right now. Marchand's 4 assists against Buffalo are just irreplaceable.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
You're right, I'm sure no Bruins fans would rather have Matthews right now. Marchand's 4 assists against Buffalo are just irreplaceable.

Why is your sample size 4 assists against Buffalo? How about 103 points in past 82 or 17 points in his last 12 playoff games? This thread isn't even about Matthews my man.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Why is your sample size 4 assists against Buffalo? How about 103 points in past 82 or 17 points in his last 12 playoff games? This thread isn't even about Matthews my man.

My point is just because he has those numbers doesn't make him a better hockey player than Tavares.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
yeah this works quite a bit in marchands favor considering he wasnt even in the same universe as JT up until then right?

the turris vs kadri thing is an awful comparabler as well. kadri has been better recently AND overall for his career, so no, it isnt like JT vs marchand
From October 2015 to the Capuano firing (January 17 2017) JT has 102 points in 120 games while Marchand has 104 points in 124 games playing 1:16 less (with probably a lot less PP toi although I can't find the stats). Using a bigger sample size of the past 3 years JT has 226 points in 241 games playing 20:06 per game while Marchand has 238 points in 228 games playing 19:12 per game. JT was slightly better in 15-16, but for the past 2 years Marchand has clearly been much better at everything except face-offs. It doesn't matter how much better JT was before that. Jiri Hudler had 76 points 78 games in 2014-15, but now he's busy snorting cocaine on airplanes.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
My point is just because he has those numbers doesn't make him a better hockey player than Tavares.

Yeah him being better than his numbers makes him better than Tavares who's only as good as he produces, thanks for trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad