Speculation: John Tavares to NYR as UFA: Realistic? How much would you be willing to offer?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I love the fact that the upper bowl is so steep that handrails had to be installed between each row of the upper bowl in order to meet safety code requirements.

Oh yeah those are the seats where you pay to have a good view of the auroras during the game.

IDK if they will fill those for junior teams though. :naughty:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
just not realistic
Tavares wont leave one circus for another (unless maybe hometown TO)
and him joining NYR would create a great and unending sideshow

the all league center that i could see ending up w NYR before too long might be Malkin,
would be kinda like when Espo, then Mess, came

It wouldn't be a circus if Malkin came? It'd be about the same size spectacle either way IMO, except that PIT has way more fans than NYI who would be upset.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Do you mean Pittsburg or Phoenix [Glendale]? Because those are the only cities Bettman has been fastidious about.

He even said on the XM NHL show that any local move for the Islanders is temporary.

And look at this arena

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotron_Centre

No venture capitalist receives funding for a project like that for a junior hockey team unless there is a handshake for an NHL franchise.

Bryan Adams can't cover all the nights, and Celine Dion has a gig in Vegas.
If the NHL was dying to put a team in Quebec it already would've happened. All they had to do was find someone with $500 million and they could've had a team. They didn't. Hence no team. And the Isles are going to get the arena at Belmont making all of this a moot point.

Oh and not for nothing, but speaking as someone who has lost a team anyone who roots for anyone else to lose their team is a pile of dog excrement in human form. I hate DC United more than any team on the planet and I wouldn't even wish for those awful fans to lose their team.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If the NHL was dying to put a team in Quebec it already would've happened. All they had to do was find someone with $500 million and they could've had a team. They didn't. Hence no team. And the Isles are going to get the arena at Belmont making all of this a moot point.

Oh and not for nothing, but speaking as someone who has lost a team anyone who roots for anyone else to lose their team is a pile of dog excrement in human form. I hate DC United more than any team on the planet and I wouldn't even wish for those awful fans to lose their team.

Excuse me!

First, The the original Nordiques franchise moved because the franchise couldn't keep up with the non-cap era salaries, and the owners got a sweet deal to move to Colorado. The Nords certainly did not lack true fan support. It was the same issue with the original Winnipeg franchise, which moved for the same reason.

What happened in Winnipeg?

Oh I know! When the cap era hit, and the Atlanta market failed for a second time [Atlanta Flames], the new Jets moved back to the get this..brand spanking new arena that had been built a few years before on a hand shake deal that one of the floundering NHL franchises would go there. Unless you actually think the long term idea for the Winnipeg MTS center was to be the permanent main home of the Manitoba Moose.

Second, the Islanders wouldn't be moving if people still went to the games. News flash! They don't sell out. They couldn't even sell many game day discounted playoff tickets near the very wealthy park slope, which has many Long Island transplants mind you, when the Islanders made it past the first round for the first time since 1993.

Third, most of the long term Islander fans that are left were the ones from the 80s, and I could literally give less of a **** about their feelings than any other fans just out of the historical issues of hearing the 1940 ********.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you think the Winnipeg arena was built in the knowledge an NHL team would go there based on some secret handshake deal then I don't know what to say. They ended up with a team because the Thrashers basically got evicted and their owners gave up and sold. The idea that everyone saw that coming years in advance is absurd. Quebec would already have a team if someone came up with $500 million and nobody did. Bettman blocked any thought of Carolina moving because they once won a cup. Do you think with that logic he OK's a move of a team that was the greatest American NHL team of all time?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He'd get a ton here and every where. I think he would sign w nyr bit isles will lock him up

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He'll go to Toronto if he hits UFA, but for argument's sake, I'd offer 7 years, $77 million.

Why would Toronto pay Tavares the ridiculous contract he's going to get? They already have Matthews and Kadri at center. It's unnecessary, especially when their biggest need is at RD. Also, by that point guys like Marner, Nylander, and Matthews will probably be making ~24M combined.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I would say next to zero chance Tavares comes to the Rangers.

Tavares is a legitimate elite center, top 10 player in the league. I'd be very comfortable "overpaying" him. Would it really be the end of the world to give John freakin Tavares 1 mil more a year than you think he's worth? It would be a 7 year contract, he'd be 28 to start it, so you'd comfortably be getting 4-5 elite years out of him. With a player of his caliber and hockey IQ, who knows maybe even more.

I feel bad for JT, the Islanders have surrounded him with dog **** his entire career. Even the years they made the playoffs, it was basically due to him being a Hart candidate and carrying weak teams.

If he were a Ranger during this time period we would've won a cup.

I think there is a basically zero chance, but boy would it be absolutely hilarious.

IMO it's 50/50. The Islanders haven't exactly been loyal to Tavares during his stint with the Islanders. The Rangers offer him a ton more than the Islanders ever have in ways of a bonafide contender year after year and still be in NYC. Obviously cap space comes into play but, we have a need for a number 1 center and Tavares fills that need for years to come. If we had to over pay and I am not certain we would I'm ok with it. JT could pull a Shattenkirk and takes less for a chance to win every year in NYC. While not 100% certain he would take less there is a 5% chance he would take less. Had the Islander done the right thing by him during his RFA years I would feel better about that scenario. The short answer to the question is yes. It's a realistic possibility and, Yes, I would be ok with overpayment.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If Matthews has another season like he just had (Which is likely) then he's just less than McDavid money. Toronto signed Marleau to go straight into Win-now mode because they know they will have to break to the bank to keep their young core together. Tavares isn't taking a discount to go into the fishbowl and have his every move in his life scrutinized. Marner, Nylander - These guys are going to make bank. I'm not saying he'd sign here (And if he did, it starts at $77 mill and that's probably not even enough), but saying Toronto is really not taking into account the state of their team at all.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Ummm if Tavares is available u do what u have to.

Omg losing Hayes or JT Miller? For Tavares??? What ever will we do?!?!? Omg!!!!! Panic!!!!!

Lol this place sometimes

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'd be all in on JT. Gotta move Hayes and likely another roster player beforehand.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

EDIT: This was just majorly spitballing with no real thought (especially the fourth line), but...

qWzfTJQ.png

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'd be all in on JT. Gotta move Hayes and likely another roster player beforehand.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

EDIT: This was just majorly spitballing with no real thought (especially the fourth line), but...

qWzfTJQ.png

That team wins a cup, without a doubt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad