Speculation: John Tavares to NYR as UFA: Realistic? How much would you be willing to offer?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't think they will, but just for fun, let's assume Garth Snow and the tirefire that are the New York Islanders screw this up let this man walk for nothing. Although, there are some serious rumblings that he will not resign with the Islanders but you'd have to imagine they'd move him for a haul if that's the case. Although, it is the Islanders after all.

We haven't had a legit franchise center in his prime since Mark Messier. Would you offer him close to a max deal?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I would say next to zero chance Tavares comes to the Rangers.

No. He's going to get more than he is worth. Not interested.

Tavares is a legitimate elite center, top 10 player in the league. I'd be very comfortable "overpaying" him. Would it really be the end of the world to give John freakin Tavares 1 mil more a year than you think he's worth? It would be a 7 year contract, he'd be 28 to start it, so you'd comfortably be getting 4-5 elite years out of him. With a player of his caliber and hockey IQ, who knows maybe even more.

I feel bad for JT, the Islanders have surrounded him with dog **** his entire career. Even the years they made the playoffs, it was basically due to him being a Hart candidate and carrying weak teams.

If he were a Ranger during this time period we would've won a cup.

I think there is a basically zero chance, but boy would it be absolutely hilarious.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I would say next to zero chance Tavares comes to the Rangers.

Tavares is a legitimate elite center, top 10 player in the league. I'd be very comfortable "overpaying" him. Would it really be the end of the world to give John freakin Tavares 1 mil more a year than you think he's worth? It would be a 7 year contract, he'd be 28 to start it, so you'd comfortably be getting 4-5 elite years out of him. With a player of his caliber and hockey IQ, who knows maybe even more.

I feel bad for JT, the Islanders have surrounded him with dog **** his entire career. Even the years they made the playoffs, it was basically due to him being a Hart candidate and carrying weak teams.

If he were a Ranger during this time period we would've won a cup.

I think there is a basically zero chance, but boy would it be absolutely hilarious.

Since he will be a UFA, why would it be a zero chance?

I'm not saying he will join the Rangers, but I sincerely doubt he would refuse to sign with the Rangers because of rivalry.

I also don't think he would refuse to join the Rangers because of the Islander fans being upset either. Most of the old guard that couldn't even show up to walk around the coliseum to save the team don't show up in Brooklyn either. They would have to be in the arena to boo him, so he will have to stay off Islander message boards to not sway his decision I suppose.

I think the Islanders will be moving to Quebec anyway to become the Quebec Le'Islanders in that $700 million arena that opened.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't think he would refuse to sign here; he might even lean this way cause its close to where he's been playing already.

But I doubt we have the money/cap space. Staal would have to be moved for sure. Not just bought out.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Depends on how he plays this season. If he is healthy I have no problem giving him Nash's (7.8 mill) plus Holdens (1.8 mill) so put me in for 9.6 mill if the years make sense (and if he looks to still have a good amount left).

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
He'll go to Toronto if he hits UFA, but for argument's sake, I'd offer 7 years, $77 million.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
You can't give him Nash's 7.8 unless you are planning to let Skjei, Miller and Hayes walk. They all need raises. Nash's money is what will pay for that.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Sticking to only the question: The Rangers currently have $23 million in projected cap space next season. Assuming $10m goes to JT (could be more), that would leave the Rangers with $13m to resign RFAs Miller, Hayes, Skjei, Vesey and replace UFAs Nash, Grabner, Holden, and Pavelec. It's possible, but you'd have to get weaker somewhere else in the lineup to make it fit. I'd certainly sign up for JT, but I don't it will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
13 million to resign/replace 8 players is possible? That's less than 2 million per player.

You're gonna have to give Hayes, Miller and Skjei easily 3 million plus each. Probably more. Even if they each got 3 million, that leaves 4 million for 5 spots. I guess we are signing minimum salary veterans for those 5 spots?

No way. It's downright impossible. Miller/Hayes/Skjei are all probably getting closer to 4 million anyway. You'd have to find a taker for Staal to have any chance.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Leon Draisaitl just got 8.5, Eichel projected to get 9-9.5 and McDavid got 12.5

Tavares isn't McDavid but he's a better player than Draisaitl and Eichel, at least for now and it's his one chance to really capitalize on a payday.

I'd say ~10.5, give or take 500K in either direction, is his AAvalue when you consider the market.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You can't give him Nash's 7.8 unless you are planning to let Skjei, Miller and Hayes walk. They all need raises. Nash's money is what will pay for that.

Its my team and I can spend my money they way I want to spend it! (joke).

Brady is cost controlled.

JT is restricted.

Hayes is restricted.

We will find some money from Staals buyout among other hockey/cap moves for their raises.

Hayes might even be moved. While unlikely we might have J Tav as #1, Zib as #2, J Miller as #3 and Anderson as #4 in 2018-19.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
just not realistic
Tavares wont leave one circus for another (unless maybe hometown TO)
and him joining NYR would create a great and unending sideshow

the all league center that i could see ending up w NYR before too long might be Malkin,
would be kinda like when Espo, then Mess, came

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He'll go to Toronto if he hits UFA, but for argument's sake, I'd offer 7 years, $77 million.

while history has evidence massive screw ups on rarest of occasions - Bosox screwed up contracts of Fred Lynn and Carlton Fisk resulting in UFAs - that won't happen here. If Snow can't seal the deal, he'll get something.

However, that does not mean Tavares will automatically extend with the acquiring team. So say he does hit UFA free and clear, and we only have to wait that long.

Point is moot.
Whether or not offering max $ somebody gives him is irrelevant, unless between now and then something happens and he wants nyC.

Leafs are building, improving, finally.
Have Matthews and others.

Rangers are a nice alternative, presumably a better team even w/Leafs finishing w/better picks and selecting well.

But if he wants Leafland, there is nothing to discuss.
We got lucky w/Shatty really wanting to come HERE.

At present, Tavares will not come here

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
13 million to resign/replace 8 players is possible? That's less than 2 million per player.

You're gonna have to give Hayes, Miller and Skjei easily 3 million plus each. Probably more. Even if they each got 3 million, that leaves 4 million for 5 spots. I guess we are signing minimum salary veterans for those 5 spots?

No way. It's downright impossible. Miller/Hayes/Skjei are all probably getting closer to 4 million anyway. You'd have to find a taker for Staal to have any chance.

It's possible, but you'd have to get weaker somewhere else in the lineup to make it fit. I assumed it was transparent that not all of those players are coming back if JT is signing here for $10m. If not, my bad.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
How's he going to Toronto when they'll have to pay Matthews, Marner and Nylander?

I wouldn't be concerned about singing Hayes if we signed JT. Hayes is attractive now b/c he's on a relatively cheap RFA contract. Hayes at $5m? NOPE. he can go.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Two questions come to mind.

1. He's a great player, but (a) how improved is his skating, and (b) what effect will that have as he ages?

2. (a) Do we want a 34 year old Tavares taking up $10 million in cap, and (b) do we have/will we have the pieces to support him?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I'd let Miller and Hayes go if it meant we got Tavares out of it. We have some guys that are a year or 2 away to take bottom 6 roles

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Since he will be a UFA, why would it be a zero chance?

I'm not saying he will join the Rangers, but I sincerely doubt he would refuse to sign with the Rangers because of rivalry.

I also don't think he would refuse to join the Rangers because of the Islander fans being upset either. Most of the old guard that couldn't even show up to walk around the coliseum to save the team don't show up in Brooklyn either. They would have to be in the arena to boo him, so he will have to stay off Islander message boards to not sway his decision I suppose.

I think the Islanders will be moving to Quebec anyway to become the Quebec Le'Islanders in that $700 million arena that opened.

I think because Snow will try the sign and trade route for sure. This is assuming the Belmont decision comes down before about 2-15 (which most seem to think it will). At that point I assume he is going be out and Snow will try to ensure he doesn't go to the metro by working with Tavares to get him out west or maybe into the Atlantic division. Tavares imo doesn't have a team in mind and many have speculated he doesn't want to play for Toronto so I think this is a much easier sign and trade than the Shattenkirk thing was who wanted Boston or New York only. If Belmont decision is delayed than obviously this goes out the window as he won't be traded and will walk. The only question at that point is does he want to say around here or not and nobody knows that answer

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would get that Franchise 1C which is needed, but at what price? Not sure about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad