Speculation: John Tavares' Pending Unrestricted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Never knew that. Which players did he bring in?
did you really not know he was the GM of the Marlies? He brought in the staff led by Keefe who worked wonders in terms of developing talent on the Marlies. There's also a reason Keefe said nobody deserves more credit for the Calder Cup win than Dubas.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
did you really not know he was the GM of the Marlies? He brought in the staff led by Keefe who worked wonders in terms of developing talent on the Marlies. There's also a reason Keefe said nobody deserves more credit for the Calder Cup win than Dubas.

Ditto. He developed Keefe as well has players like Johnsson, Kapenen, Grundstrom, Bracco, Brooks, Dermott and Holl, and Sparks. Curious to see if Baun can develop now. But ya Dubas is a genius. In fact many hockey minds say he's the brightest young up and coming guy in the league.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ditto. He developed Keefe as well has players like Johnsson, Kapenen, Grundstrom, Bracco, Brooks, Dermott and Holl, and Sparks. Curious to see if Baun can develop now. But ya Dubas is a genius. In fact many hockey minds say he's the brightest young up and coming guy in the league.
Keefe did a great job no doubt but how does the GM go about developing players?

Reactions: Trawna Phan

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Not sure that translates into building the Team, sounds like Hunter had a bigger impact by that description.

That's a moot point. Dubas was groomed by Hunter and Lou. I'd say 2 really good professors. It showed. He built the Marlies into Champions in what 3 yrs? He's smart. Sometimes it's the trade you dont make that shows that. Like if we gave JVR and a 1st for Hamonic...imagine we did that?

Defense most games is a team effort. Do we need backend help..absolutely, but we need a center as well. Goat I think is done, so then you have Miro, Brooks is couple years off...one of Moore, Bozak or Plekanac. I think we dont do anything with the center position until JT decides where he is playing for his career. If he wants multiple cups I sign with the leafs. If j want to lose and maybe contend once or twice I sign with the Isles.

JT instantly thrusts the leafs into the top 5 teams in the league. I think if we miss out on him it'll be a RHD. Whether we trade up to snag Bouchard or sign Carlson...or trade for Doughty.

No that the Marlies are Champs people can stop saying we have spare parts in garbage when mentioning prospects and a 1st or 2nd round pick. Unless garbage wins you the Calder cup.

Lol

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Keefe did a great job no doubt but how does the GM go about developing players?

GM develops players (helps) by picking the right coach. And if also if you have seen an Ahl practice Dubas laces them up every now and again. Also development comes in the form of telling the big club who they should be calling up. Every call up this ur worked. Holl was great, Dermott is obvious..Kapenen and Johnsson. The only black spot is Goat. Played well for 2 games than scrapped out.

Reactions: stickty111

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
GM develops players (helps) by picking the right coach. And if also if you have seen an Ahl practice Dubas laces them up every now and again. Also development comes in the form of telling the big club who they should be calling up. Every call up this ur worked. Holl was great, Dermott is obvious..Kapenen and Johnsson. The only black spot is Goat. Played well for 2 games than scrapped out.
Yes it seems like the coach was a good hire.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The great thing is Dubas has been terrific, and built the Marlies into champions. People that didnt like the hire ask questions like "which players did he bring in" just to pretend to be smart.
Dubas was the main guy in charge of the 2015 draft and had a bigger impact. Hunter played passanger the entire time. Its not a surprise Shanahan liked Dubas more, as he outperformed Hunter and got the job.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
so you are playing obtuse to avoid giving Dubas any credit for being the GM of the Marlies and having them turn into a winning team. cool
I’m curious how he did it, not sure what there is to be so defensive about. Simple question in plain English but it seems like it’s difficult to answer.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I want Dubas to prove me wrong but I am worried he doesn't have the guts to do anything significant be it at forward or on D.

I hope proves me wrong because this team still needs 1 big piece

It really doesn’t take a whole of “guts” to offer a hockey player millions of dollars.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I’m curious how he did it, not sure what there is to be so defensive about. Simple question in plain English but it seems like it’s difficult to answer.
I believe all AHL acquisitions (such as Marchment, Holl, LoVerde, Mueller, and Marincin) should also be attributed to Dubas, on top of the coaching staff he's charged with developing our future Leafs.

But if people really wanna get into it, Burke/Nonis/Morrison/Bergman and co. deserve a lot of credit, too, for drafting guys like Sparks and Johnsson, who were obviously pretty integral in the Calder victory.

(I may have replied to the wrong post of yours - This is all regarding Dubas' responsibility in creating the Calder Cup-winning Marlies team, not regarding his development of players (which doesn't personally go much farther than bringing in Keefe, I would imagine))

I do believe he should receive some credit for the direction of the 2015 Draft, but that should be split between him, Shanahan, and Hunter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lauro

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I believe all AHL acquisitions (such as Marchment, Holl, LoVerde, Mueller, and Marincin) should also be attributed to Dubas, on top of the coaching staff he's charged with developing our future Leafs.

But if people really wanna get into it, Burke/Nonis/Morrison/Bergman and co. deserve a lot of credit, too, for drafting guys like Sparks and Johnsson, who were obviously pretty integral in the Calder victory.
Thanks. :clap:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm not sure why but I can only imagine Marner going "I need a center to play with..." and then does the puppy eyes.
*Nazem in the background*: Hey, what's that supposed to mean?
Marner: *quiets voice* shut up Kadri, play along

In seriousness though, I recall an article a few months back where Kadri said he'd try and recruit John (somehow this wasn't tampering?). They're pretty good buddies from what I remember so I wouldn't be surprised if he's tried talking to him a few times about coming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad