Speculation: John Tavares' Pending Unrestricted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Bobby Mac is very careful about his reputation, and he’s as careful as it gets to not be a typical Twitter rumor monger. So at face value, saying that a team is making a promo video and put some ice down for it seems a little bit out of context for Bob, even if it relates to a player like Tavares and a high profile team like the Leafs. He most likely wouldn’t tweet this out if he thought it was at all possible that JT would resign with the Islanders over the next few days. The guy is connected, and he does his homework. From what I’ve seen, he doesn’t tweet this sort of stuff unless there’s something to it.

So, perhaps it’s wishful thinking, but I’m hoping that this means there’s a very good chance now that JT reaches free agency, and he will give the Leafs a real chance to sell themselves to him.

Which if true, is a welcome thought, especially considering that before this latest piece of info it started to feel like JT was leaning more and more towards staying in Long Island.

*fingers crossed again*

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Just some interesting stuff I came across tonight.

Go check out Tavares' likes on twitter. Really shows a lot about him. I think Toronto would be a place he wants to be.

Also I believe the Tavares family and the Shanahan family have some sort of connection via lacrosse. Could be an interesting way of helping to pitch the Leafs to him over the course of the past while.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bobby Mac is very careful about his reputation, and he’s as careful as it gets to not be a typical Twitter rumor monger. So at face value, saying that a team is making a promo video and put some ice down for it seems a little bit out of context for Bob, even if it relates to a player like Tavares and a high profile team like the Leafs. He most likely wouldn’t tweet this out if he thought it was at all possible that JT would resign with the Islanders over the next few days. The guy is connected, and he does his homework. From what I’ve seen, he doesn’t tweet this sort of stuff unless there’s something to it.

So, perhaps it’s wishful thinking, but I’m hoping that this means there’s a very good chance now that JT reaches free agency, and he will give the Leafs a real chance to sell themselves to him.

Which if true, is a welcome thought, especially considering that before this latest piece of info it started to feel like JT was leaning more and more towards staying in Long Island.

*fingers crossed again*

One angle I'd like to see the Leafs come in from is what Brendan Shanahan has to say about growing up as a Leafs fan in Toronto, starring in the NHL, winning multiple championships, and still coming home to run the Toronto Maple Leafs. Absolutely loving the role Shanahan has played in bringing this franchise back to life, but having done it all, does he wish he could have put on the blue and white himself like Roberts, Joseph, Nieuwendyk, Lindros and other GTA guys were able to do?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Just some interesting stuff I came across tonight.

Go check out Tavares' likes on twitter. Really shows a lot about him. I think Toronto would be a place he wants to be.

Also I believe the Tavares family and the Shanahan family have some sort of connection via lacrosse. Could be an interesting way of helping to pitch the Leafs to him over the course of the past while.

Shanny played lacrosse at one point with John Tavares’ uncle, who is also named John Tavares. He is the all time leading scorer for the NLL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Weird, I wonder why you aren't getting paid millions to manage a salary cap then.

It's kind of interesting how you're making things so personal because I mentioned moving Nazem Kadri. Strange.

We're talking about John Tavares here. Wake up.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

*fingers crossed again*
This article about McKenzie from The Globe And Mail sums him up the best way possible.

TSN analyst Bob McKenzie knows it’s better to be right than simply first

Reactions: Goonface2k14

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's kind of interesting how you're making things so personal because I mentioned moving Nazem Kadri. Strange.

We're talking about John Tavares here. Wake up.
It's not personal, it's just that it's hilarious to me that you armchair cap experts think it's a must to move x player because you think we can't possibly afford him, without actually doing some meaningful analysis of any kind.

Want to see actual meaningful analysis?

www.reddit.com/r/leafs/comments/8qmioi/can_the_maple_leafs_afford_tavares

Take your own advice and 'wake up'.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
One angle I'd like to see the Leafs come in from is what Brendan Shanahan has to say about growing up as a Leafs fan in Toronto, starring in the NHL, winning multiple championships, and still coming home to run the Toronto Maple Leafs. Absolutely loving the role Shanahan has played in bringing this franchise back to life, but having done it all, does he wish he could have put on the blue and white himself like Roberts, Joseph, Nieuwendyk, Lindros and other GTA guys were able to do?

I’m sure, like many other players across all sports, he did wonder what it would be like to play for the team he grew up cheering for. At the same time though, he wasn’t going to waste away years in a franchise that’s headed nowhere. He signed in St Louis in 1991 when they were elite and the Leafs were trash. He was later traded to Hartford and then traded to Detroit. He finally became a free agent again in his twilight years when the Leafs were once again crap (*sigh*), so there really wasn’t an opportunity to play in Toronto without giving up the opportunity to play for a contender. So I’d be shocked if he regrets in any way shape or form that he never played for the Leafs. He ended up in the HOF with three Stanley Cup rings to show for it. Job well done.

I do think that now, Shanny plays the biggest role, by far, in convincing JT to sign here. From lacrosse to playing for the Knights, to being a high draft pick and being from the area, there are just way too many similarities between him and JT for it to go unnoticed by either side. Hoping that goes a long way for JT, if he does end up reaching free agency.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m sure, like many other players across all sports, he did wonder what it would be like to play for the team he grew up cheering for. At the same time though, he wasn’t going to waste away years in a franchise that’s headed nowhere. He signed in St Louis in 1991 when they were elite and the Leafs were trash. He was later traded to Hartford and then traded to Detroit. He finally became a free agent again in his twilight years when the Leafs were once again crap (*sigh*), so there really wasn’t an opportunity to play in Toronto without giving up the opportunity to play for a contender. So I’d be shocked if he regrets in any way shape or form that he never played for the Leafs. He ended up in the HOF with three Stanley Cup rings to show for it. Job well done.

I do think that now, Shanny plays the biggest role, by far, in convincing JT to sign here. From lacrosse to playing for the Knights, to being a high draft pick and being from the area, there are just way too many similarities between him and JT for it to go unnoticed by either side. Hoping that goes a long way for JT, if he does end up reaching free agency.

That's what I mean. Sell Tavares on the idea that doing it here would be more special than elsewhere. Tell him he wonders what it would have been like wearing the blue and white in that alumni game.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I mean this whole thread was started because of a guy saying the islanders may trade his rights if they can’t sign him.
Everyone should now by that now that Greg Brady is not the best source for player movement.

As for Dreger he's supposed to be one of the "Insiders" for TSN and when he tweets that if Tavares is not re-signed by next week at this time he will talk with other teams, that's not breaking news and why anyone else on HF can report something like that since is too obvious.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure it's what Shanahan did to talk Babcock into becoming the coach, when everyone else who was not a Leafs fan said there is no way he's coming to Toronto.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Reactions: LeafsNation75

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
That's what I mean. Sell Tavares on the idea that doing it here would be more special than elsewhere. Tell him he wonders what it would have been like wearing the blue and white in that alumni game.

Yup, completely agree. I don’t think there’s any other team executive out there with as much clout as Shanahan has, as far as selling their team and vision to JT. Maybe Steve Yzerman fits that category as well, with all of his success as a player and executive, but there’s no way TB is looking to add him. I think that goes a very long way when a player is deciding between teams.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's not personal, it's just that it's hilarious to me that you armchair cap experts think it's a must to move x player because you think we can't possibly afford him, without actually doing some meaningful analysis of any kind.

Want to see actual meaningful analysis?

www.reddit.com/r/leafs/comments/8qmioi/can_the_maple_leafs_afford_tavares

Take your own advice and 'wake up'.

I went through the same exercise with Steven Stamkos when the numbers were a little lower, and my thought process is if you can have something like UFA Star + Matthews + ELC/AHL grad in a top 9 productive role making a ratio of $11 million, $10 million and $1 million at all times, it's the equivalent of sinking $7.3 million for 3 forwards. Not the most unaffordable arrangement in the world. Basically just means having to be disciplined and shrinking the middle class and cutting down on inflationary 2nd and 3rd contracts. This might mean we lose Kadri, or some combination of Nylander for a defenseman who could make $8 million one day, but also means we would likely want to shed that third Marleau year.

Forward 1 $11 million
Forward 2 $10 million
Forward 3 $7.5 million
Forward 4 $6 million
Forward 5 $4 million
Forward 6 $3 million
Forward 7 $3 million
Forward 8 $2 million
Forward 9 $1 million/ELC
Forward 10 $1 million/ELC
Forward 11 $1 million/ELC
Forward 12 $1 million/ELC

Defenseman 1 $8 million
Defenseman 2 $5 million
Defenseman 3 $4 million
Defenseman 4 $4 million
Defenseman 5 $ 1 million
Defenseman 6 $ 1 million
Defenseman 7 $1 million

Goalie $7 million
Goalie $1 million

That works out to $82.5 million but you could definitely tighten it and there's some rounding up of ELC's and you could have a couple of league minimum contracts in there too. Not counting the Kessel retention.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
In a situation like this, Bob Mackenzie would be privy to information like this to write about simply to ensure John Tavares is reminded that Toronto will bring a serious offer to the table.

Its like “tampering” without the actual tampering.

No way does Tavares not hear about an article like that and just ignore the possibility it presents.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yup, completely agree. I don’t think there’s any other team executive out there with as much clout as Shanahan has, as far as selling their team and vision to JT. Maybe Steve Yzerman fits that category as well, with all of his success as a player and executive, but there’s no way TB is looking to add him. I think that goes a very long way when a player is deciding between teams.
Look at how Shanahan sold Babcock on becoming the Leafs coach when everyone else said there is no chance he would want that.

matssundi81

Jun 19, 2018
I'm not anybody (as you can tell from my just signing up and posting for the first time) but I do know that the Leafs did make a Tavaras promo pitch video a few days ago.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If Tavares hits free agency, there's a very good chance the Leafs are in his top 2-3 destinations, unless he really wants to avoid Canadian media.

We have arguably the best core in the NHL under the age of ~25, we have the capspace to fit him, our farm team just won the Calder Cup (indicating more help on the way), our team has a ton of history, he's from the area, we have one of the most respected coaches in the league whom Tavares has worked with for Team Canada, etc.

So who knows what happens. Similar to Stamkos, I feel like IF Tavares doesn't stay with his team, Leafs might be the favourites or at least close to it (though staying with his team is still the most likely result).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad