Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The thing that mystifies me is this: there is a number that if JT was offered he would sign, but ownership has decided to try and get the best deal they can. If they just gave him the money and signed him that combined with everything else would lead to the phones in the team's ticketing department lighting up like a Christmas tree the next day. In short, the move would probably pay for itself in added ticket revenue and interest.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hate to be the one to break it to ya but there’s almost no shot you’re signing JT after a 7x7 for Kane

I’m not here to come on the Islanders board and tell Islanders fans what is or isn’t going to happen, but San Jose absolutely does have the cap space for John Tavares and numerous insiders have already stated that the interest is there.

Personally, I’m expecting John Tavares to stay on Long Island. But if John Tavares goes to UFA and is willing to sign an $84M, 7 year deal with San Jose, that deal is getting done. Evander Kane’s deal isn’t all that relevant to the situation.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The thing that mystifies me is this: there is a number that if JT was offered he would sign, but ownership has decided to try and get the best deal they can. If they just gave him the money and signed him that combined with everything else would lead to the phones in the team's ticketing department lighting up like a Christmas tree the next day. In short, the move would probably pay for itself in added ticket revenue and interest.

I just don’t think money is the issue. Staple has also reported in the past that it is not. I honestly believe, as it has been suggested; he wants the organization’s commitment to build a perennial contender now.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Its not about money. He wants to see actual moves to make this team better.

Lou
Kovalchuk

Thats how this gets done. I think weight has to be canned as well before he commits to what i believe is a 10.5x8 contract

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Its not about money. He wants to see actual moves to make this team better.

Lou
Kovalchuk

Thats how this gets done. I think weight has to be canned as well before he commits to what i believe is a 10.5x8 contract
Why does Kovy prove anything to Tavares? He has a 40 goal scoring winger on his team already. On top of that the depth offensively isnt awful especially the second line being arubgly one of the best in the league, not withstanding.

I think there needs to be defensive additions and goaltending more so than signing Kovy.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I’m not here to come on the Islanders board and tell Islanders fans what is or isn’t going to happen, but San Jose absolutely does have the cap space for John Tavares and numerous insiders have already stated that the interest is there.

Personally, I’m expecting John Tavares to stay on Long Island. But if John Tavares goes to UFA and is willing to sign an $84M, 7 year deal with San Jose, that deal is getting done. Evander Kane’s deal isn’t all that relevant to the situation.

I just think jt is gonna cost at least 12 per and having him and Kane take up 19 mil is alittle reckless. We’ll see how it unfolds

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I just think jt is gonna cost at least 12 per and having him and Kane take up 19 mil is alittle reckless. We’ll see how it unfolds

The reckless part is Kane at $7M. JT at $12M isn’t a problem in the slightest. They’ve already got Marc-Edouard Vlasic at $7M for the next 8 years and he’s already in his 30s. They have Brent Burns at $8M for the next 7 years and he’s going to be 34 by the time next year’s playoffs start. Those are very reckless deals that have already been signed. Adding Tavares is hardly reckless in comparison.

Again, I know I’m not particularly welcomed here with the most open of arms as a Sharks fan who wants JT. My honest belief is that he stays with the Islanders and I’m not here to cause any commotion. But as I was checking the thread to see any update on his status, I saw some misconceptions about San Jose’s salary cap and I just wanted to clear up that if John Tavares is available in unrestricted free agency on July 1st and if he is willing to sign in San Jose for 7 years and $84 million, the Evander Kane deal is not going to change the fact that Doug Wilson will be rushing to sign those papers.

Wilson has noted the massive amount of cap space that he has and he has stated that he plans on using all of it in the off-season. Evander Kane’s new contract takes up a decent chunk of it but by no means does it take up all of it.

Reactions: periferal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The reckless part is Kane at $7M. JT at $12M isn’t a problem in the slightest. They’ve already got Marc-Edouard Vlasic at $7M for the next 8 years and he’s already in his 30s. They have Brent Burns at $8M for the next 7 years and he’s going to be 34 by the time next year’s playoffs start. Those are very reckless deals that have already been signed. Adding Tavares is hardly reckless in comparison.

Again, I know I’m not particularly welcomed here with the most open of arms as a Sharks fan who wants JT. My honest belief is that he stays with the Islanders and I’m not here to cause any commotion. But as I was checking the thread to see any update on his status, I saw some misconceptions about San Jose’s salary cap and I just wanted to clear up that if John Tavares is available in unrestricted free agency on July 1st and if he is willing to sign in San Jose for 7 years and $84 million, the Evander Kane deal is not going to change the fact that Doug Wilson will be rushing to sign those papers.

Wilson has noted the massive amount of cap space that he has and he has stated that he plans on using all of it in the off-season. Evander Kane’s new contract takes up a decent chunk of it but by no means does it take up all of it.

I saw that Thornton was open to the idea of a one year deal, do you think that happens?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

I don't believe they've talked numbers at all. Nothing remotely close has ever been reported - I don't think this is about getting any deal. Seems like he doesn't want to talk money at all.

If we go simply by what's been said, pretty consistently, Tavares will consider all aspects of playing hockey for the rest of his career, with key considerations being:
- is the team committed to winning (ownership support in spending, hiring the right staff at all areas of the franchise) - the Lou move is a HUGE step in the right direction - especially given what Lou's said about Malkin's support/resources)
- where do I want to live, potentially raise a family (I don't know how much this matters since he's going to be in a great neighbourhood, with top schools no matter where he plays)
- how much will I make (I doubt this is a huge consideration for him, within reason). He's going to have enough money for several lifetimes and if money is important, it goes way beyond salary/cap (when you consider potential endorsement deals, especially in Canada (Toronto, Montreal)
- arena, practice facilities, travel, media attention/lack-of, being "the guy" -- I seriously doubt any of these will be major factors in the decision.

It's alarming they haven't talked money/term (at least NOTHING's been leaked/reported at all) - maybe that changes in the next month. Maybe.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Except most people said Tavares could still fit into the cap in San Jose. Periferal did the math and we all know it's not out of the realm of possibility.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Great question. Would be absolutely beyond boneheaded if Tavares would resign with the Isles for a reasonable number and the Isles are playing hardball. That said I don't think that's what's going on.

I think probably this is what happened...

• Malkin/Ledecky felt the heat of the billboards, not reaching the playoffs, and probably got the vibe that Tavares was leaning towards leaving.
  • As a result they had to do something and however they had the stones to target Lamoriello, ask the Leafs for permission, and pony up the salary to pay him...Just wow.
  • Two weeks ago JT was committed to getting to July 1 and probably even gone. Now I think his eyes are open to staying, but he's going to wait to see what Lou does at the draft and maybe on July 1...And also hear from other teams before deciding.

So the bottom line is I don't think the Isles are playing hardball because I don't think Tavares is ready to sign with anyone as of yet.

Reactions: beach and Instant

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

1. The interest is most definitnely there...From the Sharks. I have a hard time believing Tavares wants to move across the country to a team that has some big names becoming UFAs next year and could become an average or worse team real quick.
  2. If the cap goes up the maximum amount the Sharks will have about 14.5M in cap space. If Tavares takes 12 which sounds about right, how are they filling out the rest of their roster which includes Hertl, Tierney, etc as RFA's? Not saying they can't move another contract, but they would have to to make it work.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I saw that Thornton was open to the idea of a one year deal, do you think that happens?

I think it’s a certainty regardless of what happens with Tavares or anybody else.

There is a theory that has been floated around since his last contract was signed that he specifically took far more than he was worth this year ($8M after scoring 50 points in 79 games) so that he could take a much cheaper deal next year when San Jose would be in need of the extra cap dollars. It doesn’t really make sense that he would suddenly get the most expensive contract of his career after his worst full season, but if you look at him as a player who was probably worth $10-12M/2 years, things start to make a lot more sense.

Some of us more optimistic Sharks fans believe that he could take between $2 and $4M this year in order to help the team win. He already made it clear that he would take a discounted one year contract and the GM already said that he looks forward to sitting down with Thornton’s agent very soon.

Reactions: PK Cronin

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If JT wants to win badly soon and will not resign, can we try to sign & trade him to the Ducks for Sam Steel who I absolutely love to have on this team. This is a deal I would do but not sure if the Ducks fans would like. Isles can take on maybe a bad contract from them to make it works for the Duck cap.

I would not do any other sign and trade deal. Sam Steel is the only young center prospect I am highly interested in. He and Bellows will be a deadly duo.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
If JT wants to win badly soon and will not resign, can we try to sign & trade him to the Ducks for Sam Steel who I absolutely love to have on this team. This is a deal I would do but not sure if the Ducks fans would like. Isles can take on maybe a bad contract from them to make it works for the Duck cap.

I would not do any other sign and trade deal. Sam Steel is the only young center prospect I am highly interested in. He and Bellows will be a deadly duo.

Yeah, I highly doubt that. We can speculate - because a sign and trade like that would be a first - but I guess the most the Isles get for it would be a pick, maybe a first rounder? I doubt they would get another good player for this.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
"Wilson has noted the massive amount of cap space that he has..."

SJ's projected cap space is $7.5 million, so it's not like adding a $12 million salary would be without issues.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

SJ's projected cap space is $7.5 million, so it's not like adding a $12 million salary would be without issues.

As I referenced above the cap will probably go up about 7 million so that means they'll have about 14.5 million. Tavares would take about 12 million, but they still need to sign RFA's Hertl and Tierney which will take up more than 3 million. They can move a contract or two, but it's not like they're so deep they can afford to if they want to compete for a Cup.

And again after this season Couture, Donskio, and Pavelski are all UFAs (along with several RFAs) so SJ could all of a sudden be an average/poor team in a year. Would Tavares want to move across the country to sign up for that?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
As I referenced above the cap will probably go up about 7 million so that means they'll have about 14.5 million. Tavares would take about 12 million, but they still need to sign RFA's Hertl and Tierney which will take up more than 3 million. They can move a contract or two, but it's not like they're so deep they can afford to if they want to compete for a Cup.

And again after this season Couture, Donskio, and Pavelski are all UFAs (along with several RFAs) so SJ could all of a sudden be an average/poor team in a year. Would Tavares want to move across the country to sign up for that?
Even with the cap anticipated to be going up I think the poster was off base saying SJ has a "massive amount of cap space" such that signing JT would be no problem. And yeah, do they just let Couture, Pavelski, etc. walk next year?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Even with the cap anticipated to be going up I think the poster was off base saying SJ has a "massive amount of cap space" such that signing JT would be no problem. And yeah, do they just let Couture, Pavelski, etc. walk next year?

Well that poster is just wrong. Vegas has tons of cap space. SJ is just ok, but to sign Tavares someone else would get squeezed and it would be bad in a year. Plus I don't think JT wants to go across the country.

I'd be much more concerned about a team like Columbus who is a #1 center away from being a legit contender and will have about 20 million in space and no major players to resign.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Well that poster is just wrong. Vegas has tons of cap space. SJ is just ok, but to sign Tavares someone else would get squeezed and it would be bad in a year. Plus I don't think JT wants to go across the country.

I'd be much more concerned about a team like Columbus who is a #1 center away from being a legit contender and will have about 20 million in space and no major players to resign.

San Jose does have a massive amount of cap space. I don’t know how you can say I’m “just wrong” when you don’t know their situation.

Paul Martin is guaranteed to be a buyout at the very least, which takes $2.8M off the books. If they can find a suitor for him in trade, then it’s a full $4.8 off the books.

Mikkel Boedker holds value to budget teams in a trade because his cap hit is $4M over the next two seasons and he’s only making $3M per season in real dollars. San Jose already has 7 top-9 wingers, and Boedker is almost certainly the odd man out.

Melker Karlsson makes $2M over the next two seasons and he’s got a pretty good reputation as a solid bottom-6 forward. If that $2M makes a difference, San Jose can easily ditch him as well.

That’s $2.8M in cap room that is guaranteed to be gone and another $8M that has a pretty good chance of being gone. They will have the space and then some and when a player like Tavares is available and you have the space, you make the move and you worry about the ramifications later.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I doubt JT would want to play for Tortorella.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Call me crazy but with a re-signed Tavares and a few roster upgrades and coaching and system tweaking I don’t think we’re too far away.
Being a bonafide playoff team? For sure. But a legit cup contender? Tough to say until we actually start competing with the big boys and see how we stack up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad