John Tavares off to the worst start of his career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Everybody thought John Tavares would have a bounce back season since he's playing for a new contract and surely he wants that big money deal. But it looks like John will be in for another down year.

So far John Tavares is off to the worst start in his career with 2+1=3 Points in 6 games. That's the fewest Points he's ever had after 6 games. And what's more alarming is that John has only had Points in one out of the 6 games and that was against Buffalo, who's projected to be a bottom 5 team this season. In every other season Tavares has had Points in 3-5 games out of the first 6 games he's played. And John has mostly scored a point in 5 out if his first 6 games, mostly.

One would think that Tavares would've come out super hot now that he's got a legit first line winger to play with in Eberle. The theory has always been that John makes everybody he plays with better, but that since he's always played with scrubs he can't make them elite. Well it looks like that theory might not be holding up...

What do you guys think? Is Tavares just sick and tired of playing for the Islanders and simply unable to bring his a game anymore? Or are we expecting too much from Tavares? Should we face the facts that he might not have been the guy and that he will most likely be just a 50-60 point guy moving forward? Or do you still have faith in Tavares turning things around and finishing top 10 in scoring when it's all said and done?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's 6 games....

And while this may be his worst start to a season, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that he's had a 6 game stretch where he's only scored 3 points, probably even less. I really doubt this is his lowest point total through any given 6 games in his entire career.

I said the same thing in the thread about Burns. If he has a 3 point game in his next game or 4 poiuts over his next 2 games, he's back up to 6 points in 7 games or 8 points in 8 games and no one notices what happened after the first 6 games. It's a non-issue. It really should be a non-issue no matter what, due to a small sample size.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
We should face the facts he will most likely be just a 50-60 loser moving forward I called that he would be a bust the second he was drafted only 3 points in 6 games.

Reactions: Mitts

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
He certainly doesn't look like the JT we are used to seeing. As opposed to using his vision and teammates, he is trying to beat guys 1-on-1 and forcing low percentage shots, I know he is the captain, but he always seems like a guy who prides himself on being a top scorer, perhaps he's trying to get the monkey off his back but it isn't working.

It's still very early in the season, but some of the points you make are valid as he looks uninspired and extremely frustrated. Cracked his stick after missing a wide open net tonight with an opportunity to send the game to OT and pick up a point for the Isles. Playing on the worst PP in the league wont help his point totals and perhaps being "the man" for so many years with no hardware to show for it has taken it's toll. Time will tell.

With the league getting faster and faster, I don't think it's farfetched to see his point totals settle in around the ~60 point range.

Reactions: MJ65

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
The Islanders roster is getting worse every year so it's not a surprise that Tavares production is suffering.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Definitely a small sample size and no doubt the puck will start going in at some point, but regardless something just seems off when i watch him play right now. It's like some of that fire is gone.

I do wonder if he's already made up his mind about looking at his options next summer, or is at least leaning towards those kind of thoughts.

In any case, just a slow start im sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ65

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I am surprised a poll has not gone up on here to vote on first Coach to be fired yet, after all, it's been almost six games into the season!

We are such slackers......

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I had noticed Tavares hadn't been doing much thus far. That said a guy with his talent probably picks it up sooner rather than later.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Everybody thought John Tavares would have a bounce back season since he's playing for a new contract and surely he wants that big money deal. But it looks like John will be in for another down year.

So far John Tavares is off to the worst start in his career with 2+1=3 Points in 6 games. That's the fewest Points he's ever had after 6 games. And what's more alarming is that John has only had Points in one out of the 6 games and that was against Buffalo, who's projected to be a bottom 5 team this season. In every other season Tavares has had Points in 3-5 games out of the first 6 games he's played. And John has mostly scored a point in 5 out if his first 6 games, mostly.

One would think that Tavares would've come out super hot now that he's got a legit first line winger to play with in Eberle. The theory has always been that John makes everybody he plays with better, but that since he's always played with scrubs he can't make them elite. Well it looks like that theory might not be holding up...

What do you guys think? Is Tavares just sick and tired of playing for the Islanders and simply unable to bring his a game anymore? Or are we expecting too much from Tavares? Should we face the facts that he might not have been the guy and that he will most likely be just a 50-60 point guy moving forward? Or do you still have faith in Tavares turning things around and finishing top 10 in scoring when it's all said and done?

The bolded i just simply disagree with and playing with 45-60 points players are normal for many of the top centers in the NHL. Im pretty tired of people saying a player would do much better with "better linemates" or a "better team". Tavares almost won art ross in 14/15...

Same with all the people saying Panarin isnt that good just because he played with Kane.... Panarin scored well over ppg in KHL, has been fantastic for Russia etc.

Just like Guentzel who scored 42 points in 33 games in the AHL gets very little credit for scoring 33 points in 40 games in his rookie season in the NHL because he was on a line with Crosby.

You dont score 70+ points just because you play with another great player, Maroon only scored 42 points and he played with Mcdavid last season.... Maroon also scored 18 points in 29 playoff games for Anaheim before he came to Edm so its not like never was a decent player.

Btw, Tavares had 2 points after 5 games last season and why should we expect him to be a 50-60 point player? He had 66 last season in 77 games in a bad year.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He's probably playing poorly on purpose so when he signs with the Leafs for 3x3 the NHLPA won't put up a stink...:naughty:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He looks good to me...playing a very good two way game as well. Puck Luck will turn around for him.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
" legit first line winger to play with in Eberle"

WAIT.... What?

Eberle played 3rd line his last season with the Oilers and couldnt keep up with McDavid. Now he is a legit first liner winger? WTF. Besides this post being a gross over reaction its also completely ignoring anything besides points. More to hockey then points.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Tavares at his best is a 75 to 85 pts a season player it wouldn't take much for him to become 60 to 70 point player. He is still an elite center and will be another 3 or 4 seasons once he leaves the Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad