Sportsnet: John Tavares "kept it real"

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Last 2 seasons, PPG:

1. McDavid (25) 1.68 ------ (52.4xgf%, +2.8rel, -8.7 dzs%-ozs%)
2. MacKinnon (26) 1.35 --- (58.4xgf%, +2.8rel, -9.9 dzs%-ozs%)
3. Marchand (33) 1.27 ---- (57.8xgf%, +2.8rel, -6.0 dzs%-ozs%)
4. Marner (24) 1.18 ------- (56.4xgf%, +2.1rel, -3.9 dzs%-ozs%)
5. Crosby (34) 1.14 -------- (50.4xgf%, +0.6rel, -12.0 dzs%-ozs%)
6. Huberdeau (28) 1.12 ---- (50.1xgf%, -1.2rel, -8.2 dzs%-ozs%)
7. Scheifele (28) 1.07 ------ (44.3xgf%, -0.5rel, -5.6 dzs%-ozs%)
8. Stamkos (31) 1.05 ------- (54.1xgf%, 0.0rel, -9.8 dzs%-ozs%)
9. Stone (29) 1.03 ---------- (59.1xgf%, +3.5rel, -1.8 dzs%-ozs%)
10. Tavares (31) 0.92 --- (53.4xgf%, -0.1rel, -4.3 dzs%-ozs%)
11. Point (25) 0.92 --------- (56.8xgf%, +2.3rel, -9.2 dzs%-ozs%)
12. O'Reilly (30) 0.91 ------ (50.7xgf%, +1.7rel, +1.1 dzs%-ozs%)
13. Bergeron (36) 0.90 ----- (59.0xgf%, +3.6rel, -6.2 dzs%-ozs%)
14. Couturier (29) 0.89 ---- (54.2xgf%, +2.5rel, -2.8 dzs%-ozs%)
15. Toews (33) 0.86 -------- (47.5xgf%, -0.7rel, -8.4 dzs%-ozs%)
16. Barzal (24) 0.85 -------- (54.6xgf%, +2.5rel, -6.2 dzs%-ozs%)

Not sure why anyone thinks Tavares, an automatic for every other Team Canada, won't be in consideration for this one.

Note that in terms of zone starts (difference between dzone and ozone starts %), the only guys there with tougher usage are 1. O'Reilly +1.1, 2. Stone -1.8, 3. Couturier -2.8, 4. Marner -3.9, 5. Tavares -4.3. While the guys with the cushiest usage are 1. Crosby -12.0, 2. MacKinnon -9.9, 3. Stamkos -9.8, 4. Point -9.2, 5. McDavid -8.7.
I'm sure you could guess.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I disagree. I think this Olympic's will be amazing for our core to be honest. Mitch, Auston, Willy, Kampf, Kase and Mrazek will all be shoe-in's IMO, and will be forced to play major roles for their respective countries. Being around other Athletes and champions. I think that exposure is huge. Obviously there are benefits from time off, but I really think their involvements on their national team's will actually be less pressure than what they receive on a daily basis in TOR. They will be able to play loose, and maybe gain the confidence that they lack in playoffs.

To me the Olympics is such a welcome distraction for these guys. My only hope is that Canada and USA go far, and both Mitch and Auston get the exposure of a winning environment. If JT is there, I'll consider it a bonus. He'd be one hell of a 4th line player lol. Hell, Mo, Micheyev and Sandin could even be representing their countries. I don't believe a burnout will be an issue. I think it will be more of an issue for TB who has gone to back to back SCF and will have heavy representation at the Olympics.

Tavares is in a stage in his career where he needs to be focused on getting on the ice every night. You don't want a repeat of last year where he's unavailable for critical games. Getting a concussion is one thing, but it's very easy to pick up a groin injury because you're going half way around the world to play in a tournament that you're not getting $11M to compete in.

As for the rest, I would assume Auston is a shoe in, Willy too. Don't know about anyone else though.

Mitch definitely isn't a shoe in. To me there are way better guys who have performed in the playoffs that would trump Mitch. But it just depends what the coaching staff and selection committee are looking for. If they think the tournament will resemble NHL hockey in October and November, then I think Mitch is a great choice. If they think it'll be a grind similar to hockey in May and June, then I would leave him at home to buy new hats.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I wish most of you would keep it real and stop coming to hfboards but c’est la vie.

also this thread is great since Simmonds made the quote. A bunch of 50 year olds super mad at the wrong guy :naughty::laugh::laugh:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
BUMP

In all the talk about Keefe, Defense, Matthews and Marner and Dubas... JT has been flying under radar. Guy wears the "C" on the team; 2nd highest cap hit on the team. He has gotta lead from the front.

JT plays easy minutes IMO

- doesn't see 1st defensive pair
- doesn't PK
- gets prime PP minutes

He has gotta show up and lead from the front.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
BUMP

In all the talk about Keefe, Defense, Matthews and Marner and Dubas... JT has been flying under radar. Guy wears the "C" on the team; 2nd highest cap hit on the team. He has gotta lead from the front.

JT plays easy minutes IMO

- doesn't see 1st defensive pair
- doesn't PK
- gets prime PP minutes

He has gotta show up and lead from the front.
JT has been getting a free pass since jr while his teammates get constantly thrown under the bus , it's truly remarkable how he evades all criticism as well as how people feel compelled to make excuses for him .

Mr Papagoergyo

Feb 17, 2019
A Captain should show emotion at least get mad.
We get scored on and one of our best push backs comes from Spezza on the 4th line?

The team doesnt start on time.
Give up on games when it doesnt go there way.
Some of this is on your captain.
Time for a change.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think he was widely given a pass early on because of that injury he suffered last spring. But he's recovered and needs to be better. The guy is a goal scorer and has one goal so far (where the puck hit him and went intro the net).

Reactions: WildWolfdog

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
John Tavares has an uncanny ability to escape criticism. But aside from his mediocre 5 on 5 play, complete lack of offense and seeming ability to plan a cottage weekend, it doesn't seem like he's really adding very much leadership that his 'C' would seem to imply. Just a very disappointing player.
He should be the Leafs event planner not the captain.

Sep 18, 2009
John Tavares has an uncanny ability to escape criticism. But aside from his mediocre 5 on 5 play, complete lack of offense and seeming ability to plan a cottage weekend, it doesn't seem like he's really adding very much leadership that his 'C' would seem to imply. Just a very disappointing player.
Perhaps we can get Barzal next

Reactions: Leafslet

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

Yeah. I haven't been impressed for a while and he hasn't been called out one bit for that. It's always Marner that but we forget that at least Marner has been producing over the last few years and even in the early going while the puck hasn't gone in for the top line, at least Marner has generated offense and has contributed on the PK. Tavares has done nothing noteworthy. For 11 million he's severely underperforming.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tavares is a robot that goes through the motions, Matthews and Marner are going to do their own thing, situation be damned and Nylander is just trying to play well so he can close the Dubas 4 mil gap on his next contract.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know if that would go over well in the Toronto market. I think part of the reason JT got the C in the first place was the fact that he was a quiet leader.

John Tavares doesn’t appear to be a leader at all.

If a guy is branded as a quiet leader and his team has success and they behave a consistent away and they show good work habits and traits, sure there’s your quiet leader. He’s doing great things behind closed doors and you assume it’s all working people are following his lead, emulating his approach, listening to his words of encouragement.

With Tavares he doesn’t even seem like he’s capable of motivating himself to play above a third line level every night. Not sure what kind of example he’s setting.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I’d go easy on him for on ice play.

Can sometimes take over a year for confidence to return after a concussion like he had.

I am disappointed in the lack of time at the microphone and lack of substance in the words.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I’d go easy on him for on ice play.

Can sometimes take over a year for confidence to return after a concussion like he had.

I am disappointed in the lack of time at the microphone and lack of substance in the words.
every year people take it easy on Yanni Pajamas

2 yrs ago - gave birth to his first child/new father

last season - got off to a bad start then a broken finger was the reason for a meh season

this yr - it's the concussion from the spring

i think fans watch him mumble through a robotic interview with that stunned look on his face and figure there's something wrong with him so they feel sorry and give him a pass

i can't come up with any other explanation for every other player getting dumped on while he gets people making excuses for him

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
every year people take it easy on Yanni Pajamas

2 yrs ago - gave birth to his first child/new father

last season - got off to a bad start then a broken finger was the reason for a meh season

this yr - it's the concussion from the spring

i think fans watch him mumble through a robotic interview with that stunned look on his face and figure there's something wrong with him so they feel sorry and give him a pass

i can't come up with any other explanation for every other player getting dumped on while he gets people making excuses for him

Fair points

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like the problem with Tavares is he has that Team Canada WJC hero invincibility shield and he can carry on like a Joe Sakic and everyone assumes he’s Joe Sakic. For a guy who is paid so much, entrusted with so much he just gives you so little in return.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad