Sportsnet: John Tavares "kept it real"

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
"Kept it real" by inviting a crowd of millionaires to his remote mansion-cottage where they raced jetskis.

What's wrong with friends hanging out? If anything, it helps strengthen bonds and form camaraderie. What they are worth monetarily or where it took place is kind of irrelevant.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
Shanahan did tbe bare minimum and gets allocated the maximum credit.

He cost us Mcdavid/Eichel by the dumb decision to not tank after the disastrous 2014 season. He wanted to compete in 2015 and didn't change gears until half way through. We got fortunate that the scours liked marner and our development team was solid letting us still get a star but if he had done his job right we'd have tanked a year earlier for mcdavid vs 2016 for matthews

Shanahan has constantly given bad takes, asking the players to take pay cuts, referring his time as a player and how the wings players did that.

Shanahan enjoyed MLSE giving approval for a tank job. Us tanking and landing Matthews set the team to be a regular playoff team with the Marlies producing quality depth wingers.

He hasn't been in the spotlight since because he knows he's not capable of managing the team. He hired Lou who did a good job and now Dubas whose done a decent to good job for the most part.

Brendan Shanahan could have been Mats Sundin and it wouldn't have changed anything. He enjoys what others build

It's not as easy as you think to be in a management role and it's also not their job to do the day-to-day tasks that are hyper-analyzed in the press. By your standards every corporation should fire their upper level management cause they're not the people actually building things at the ground level. From my perspective, Shanahan has done a good job bringing in the people he feels are right for the job, remaining flexible enough to learn as he goes, and overall trying to maintain a positive movement. That said, you live and die by the success of the team so even though I feel like he's done a good job in his role, if the playoffs don't get figured out, eventually he'll be gone as well.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
What's wrong with friends hanging out? If anything, it helps strengthen bonds and form camaraderie. What they are worth monetarily or where it took place is kind of irrelevant.

There's nothing wrong with it. Just calling it "keeping it real" is pretty funny. Rich people on vacation basically the exact opposite of "keeping it real".

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I get the frustration in this thread, we're just sick of it as fans. Every year it's the same crap, let down after let down. It's not the first time it's happened, it's every year and every year nothing changes. The confidence in this group to perform in the playoffs is gone, the only way to re-gain that hope/confidence is by just getting it done. It's a good thing they all met and discussed it, but until we see something in the playoffs I don't think anyone gives a shit that they met at his cottage. It's been way too long, we expect some results. This has to be the last year before a major shakeup happens.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Any good team has a loss like that and they'll damn well meet about it.

Nah. If a great team blows one game, they're not having a summit about it. Loser teams need these types of things to figure out what's wrong. Good teams already know what caused the loss and are professional enough to just fix it. This team has done the same thing three years in a row. Hence not a good team.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Apparently some posters have either never been on teams or were odd ducks, teams having social events/ retreats is pretty standard stuff. Topics of discussion may change based on how the year ended, but off season gatherings happen so much that they're not news.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nah. If a great team blows one game, they're not having a summit about it. Loser teams need these types of things to figure out what's wrong. Good teams already know what caused the loss and are professional enough to just fix it. This team has done the same thing three years in a row. Hence not a good team.

you're right, they should never talk about it.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I honestly think this will be JT's best year ever. He has been openly wanting to be a part of Team Canada at the Olympics, and I just see him being a man on a mission. He looks as dedicated to that task as he is dispelling the choker narrative. I thought he looked outstanding on Saturday. He truly looked in midseason form, which is massively reassuring after that gruesome injury.

JT struggled to score 5v5 early on last year, but him and Willy really hit their stride in the back half. A lot of their early struggles were more so puck luck than anything. That said, they really seemed to get motivated by the criticism. Willy especially. Remember that dumb ass Simmons article? From that moment onward, those 2 were excellent.

From what we have seem from both of these players so far in camp, they look very ready to dominate. If they put them back on a line together, and have Bunting on their wing I truly think they are all set for career years. Just have a feeling!

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I honestly think this will be JT's best year ever. He has been openly wanting to be a part of Team Canada at the Olympics, and I just see him being a man on a mission. He looks as dedicated to that task as he is dispelling the choker narrative. I thought he looked outstanding on Saturday. He truly looked in midseason form, which is massively reassuring after that gruesome injury.

JT struggled to score 5v5 early on last year, but him and Willy really hit their stride in the back half. A lot of their early struggles were more so puck luck than anything. That said, they really seemed to get motivated by the criticism. Willy especially. Remember that dumb ass Simmons article? From that moment onward, those 2 were excellent.

From what we have seem from both of these players so far in camp, they look very ready to dominate. If they put them back on a line together, and have Bunting on their wing I truly think they are all set for career years. Just have a feeling!

I would be shocked if he makes the Olympic team. Too many better options.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
he won't even be considered for the Olympic team.

maybe he can have another team building exercise at his 'cottage' where he can maintain his realness.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I would be shocked if he makes the Olympic team. Too many better options.
It is a long shot for sure. But JT plays the game the right way and has done it on the international stage before. I would peg his chances as less than 20% of making it, but that is still a strong season away from being in real consideration. He is motivated. I think we will see his best stuff this year personally.

even if he doesn't make it, his pursuit of that dream will likely yield the best version of JT

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It is a long shot for sure. But JT plays the game the right way and has done it on the international stage before. I would peg his chances as less than 20% of making it, but that is still a strong season away from being in real consideration. He is motivated. I think we will see his best stuff this year personally.

even if he doesn't make it, his pursuit of that dream will likely yield the best version of JT

Yeah I mean if he makes the team, it's likely in a 4th line-PK type role. But I just think he's better suited to take the time off.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I mean if he makes the team, it's likely in a 4th line-PK type role. But I just think he's better suited to take the time off.
I disagree. I think this Olympic's will be amazing for our core to be honest. Mitch, Auston, Willy, Kampf, Kase and Mrazek will all be shoe-in's IMO, and will be forced to play major roles for their respective countries. Being around other Athletes and champions. I think that exposure is huge. Obviously there are benefits from time off, but I really think their involvements on their national team's will actually be less pressure than what they receive on a daily basis in TOR. They will be able to play loose, and maybe gain the confidence that they lack in playoffs.

To me the Olympics is such a welcome distraction for these guys. My only hope is that Canada and USA go far, and both Mitch and Auston get the exposure of a winning environment. If JT is there, I'll consider it a bonus. He'd be one hell of a 4th line player lol. Hell, Mo, Micheyev and Sandin could even be representing their countries. I don't believe a burnout will be an issue. I think it will be more of an issue for TB who has gone to back to back SCF and will have heavy representation at the Olympics.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 2 seasons, PPG:

1. McDavid (25) 1.68 ------ (52.4xgf%, +2.8rel, -8.7 dzs%-ozs%)
2. MacKinnon (26) 1.35 --- (58.4xgf%, +2.8rel, -9.9 dzs%-ozs%)
3. Marchand (33) 1.27 ---- (57.8xgf%, +2.8rel, -6.0 dzs%-ozs%)
4. Marner (24) 1.18 ------- (56.4xgf%, +2.1rel, -3.9 dzs%-ozs%)
5. Crosby (34) 1.14 -------- (50.4xgf%, +0.6rel, -12.0 dzs%-ozs%)
6. Huberdeau (28) 1.12 ---- (50.1xgf%, -1.2rel, -8.2 dzs%-ozs%)
7. Scheifele (28) 1.07 ------ (44.3xgf%, -0.5rel, -5.6 dzs%-ozs%)
8. Stamkos (31) 1.05 ------- (54.1xgf%, 0.0rel, -9.8 dzs%-ozs%)
9. Stone (29) 1.03 ---------- (59.1xgf%, +3.5rel, -1.8 dzs%-ozs%)
10. Tavares (31) 0.92 --- (53.4xgf%, -0.1rel, -4.3 dzs%-ozs%)
11. Point (25) 0.92 --------- (56.8xgf%, +2.3rel, -9.2 dzs%-ozs%)
12. O'Reilly (30) 0.91 ------ (50.7xgf%, +1.7rel, +1.1 dzs%-ozs%)
13. Bergeron (36) 0.90 ----- (59.0xgf%, +3.6rel, -6.2 dzs%-ozs%)
14. Couturier (29) 0.89 ---- (54.2xgf%, +2.5rel, -2.8 dzs%-ozs%)
15. Toews (33) 0.86 -------- (47.5xgf%, -0.7rel, -8.4 dzs%-ozs%)
16. Barzal (24) 0.85 -------- (54.6xgf%, +2.5rel, -6.2 dzs%-ozs%)

Not sure why anyone thinks Tavares, an automatic for every other Team Canada, won't be in consideration for this one.

Note that in terms of zone starts (difference between dzone and ozone starts %), the only guys there with tougher usage are 1. O'Reilly +1.1, 2. Stone -1.8, 3. Couturier -2.8, 4. Marner -3.9, 5. Tavares -4.3. While the guys with the cushiest usage are 1. Crosby -12.0, 2. MacKinnon -9.9, 3. Stamkos -9.8, 4. Point -9.2, 5. McDavid -8.7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad