Post-Game Talk: John Tavares is a Toronto Maple Leaf.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Doesn’t mind Matthews going at Konecny. Said that he doesn’t want Matthews fighting if he doesn’t have to, that teammates sticking up for each other is just as if not more galvanizing as Matthews actually fighting. Said Matthews doesn’t always start shit like a Tkachuk brother and as such it’s rare to see Auston in these scrums and you want the other Leafs on the ice to jump the assailant and send the message that you don’t touch Matthews or any of our other stars.
Yep pretty standard stuff

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
The same blitherinng idiots in the media complaining about Matthews not fighting would lose their minds if he reinjured his wrist in a fight, or even worse, they'd construe it as a good thing if he broke his wrist because he was following "the Code".
Just curious. What media members said 34 should have fought?

Feels made up.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Matthews doesn't need to fight but he needs to do more than stand there and laugh while his teammates do the dirty work. Is he so delicate that he would break his wrist in a little scrum? Hopefully the team is ok with this.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Maybe he really does have ‘hands of stone’… and he’s worried about killing someone with the Auston one inch punch?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The same blitherinng idiots in the media complaining about Matthews not fighting would lose their minds if he reinjured his wrist in a fight, or even worse, they'd construe it as a good thing if he broke his wrist because he was following "the Code".

This doesn't really feel like a fair representation of what's being argued. There is also an escalatory scale between stick slashing, shoving, scrumming, actual fighting and injury risk and adequate self protection could have been achieved before the first punch.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
The Leaf board should be the best place to have conversations about the Leafs, and celebrate a dominant, much needed win, where we beat the other team in the underlying metrics, the scoreboard, and the scrums. Something for everybody! Unfortunately, even a post-win thread is full of complaints about the most minor, meaningless things.

So instead of talking about something else you choose to complain about the complaining. Well done.

• Love
Reactions: Racer88 and Cleetus

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He doesn’t have to throw punches when a well placed headbut or 2 would get the job done or maybe give out the “peoples elbow” a few times

Reactions: Lilou

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Mete's been serviceable to my surprise. I wouldn't want him as a staple in the top 6 but he's solid depth that doesn't stand to in a bad way, which is good for a #7/8

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So instead of talking about something else you choose to complain about the complaining. Well done.
:laugh: Staggering lack of self awareness

This doesn't really feel like a fair representation of what's being argued. There is also an escalatory scale between stick slashing, shoving, scrumming, actual fighting and injury risk and adequate self protection could have been achieved before the first punch.
The exaggeration of this incident is off the charts.

Mete's been serviceable to my surprise. I wouldn't want him as a staple in the top 6 but he's solid depth that doesn't stand to in a bad way, which is good for a #7/8
Amen to that. Always liked him since his London days, knew he’d be a good pickup

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Didn't Crosby actually break his hand gooning it up or am I misremembering?

I missed this game and they won... Coincidence???

Mcdavid did in his draft year.

Lots do. Even if you don’t break it. Not the best ide

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
:laugh: Staggering lack of self awareness

The exaggeration of this incident is off the charts.

Amen to that. Always liked him since his London days, knew he’d be a good pickup
I wouldn't even bother talking about this anymore. Nobody is changing their minds.

I actually think that those criticizing what Matthews did (or didn't do) have a WAY stronger argument than those who think it was okay. There's a group of posters though who have huge personal hang-ups about "masculinity" and you can predict what their response is going to be on every thread.

Word. I would even give him a chance at #6 if he's paired with the proper guy. (bigger, stronger, stay-at-home type)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So instead of talking about something else you choose to complain about the complaining.
I both talked about other things that were actually important (best game of the season, Tavares was excellent, etc.), and exposed how pathetic this narrative about Matthews is, that's dominating the thread. Some of us can multi-task pretty well.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Matthews doesn't need to fight but he needs to do more than stand there and laugh while his teammates do the dirty work. Is he so delicate that he would break his wrist in a little scrum? Hopefully the team is ok with this.

I've seen everything from a concussion to pulled hammys, to blown ACL/MCL to an eye injury, when people are "just getting in there". With that said if I was Matthews, I'd be on the phone calling the most expensive steak house in Toronto and booking a dinner for the guys who got in a dog pile for him.

We bitched about when the team didnt stick up for each other, now they stick up for each other and we bitch when the league MVP does not get into a scrum.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
sorry if someone already bought this or or i missed it, but is there a reason he only played 12.5 minutes last game ?
injury that we should be worried about ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad