Post-Game Talk: John Tavares is a Toronto Maple Leaf.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The other car analogy I often like to use is hockey and the playoffs can be like an off road alley. So ideally you have more of an all terrain vehicle that can handle anything as opposed to being too dear, too precious, too high end.

You're not content with the most expensive Lamborghini in your garage and making sure it's not unnecessarily driven during conditions it doesn't need to go in. You also want the lambo to go offroad, to fly, to race and go in the water, instead of being content that the other cars you have do that to keep letting your Lambo be the fastest and best performing car in your garage.

This analogy is weird, but I don't think it's quite a good one for your argument.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Second goal was a dandy, it’s good to see Cap stepping up but we need more of those types of play. Flyers while playing well are not a true test of competition IMO. Judging our play and record against the Sabres , Bruins, TB and Florida will be much more telling.

One note, while I like that Gio stepped in game to defend AM a 39 year old shouldn’t be doing that. We need somebody who can mix things up for our stars but also I would have loved AM just Rag Doll the S%+# out of konecny and caved his face in. Not to the point is knuckles could be broken but to send a message don’t mess with us. Sid did it.

It’ll be interesting in the spring to see where Knies slots in. He’s the exact player we are waiting for, it’ll be interesting to see if his big play translates to the NHL level.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You're not content with the most expensive Lamborghini in your garage and making sure it's not unnecessarily driven during conditions it doesn't need to go in. You also want the lambo to go offroad, to fly, to race and go in the water, instead of being content that the other cars you have do that to keep letting your Lambo be the fastest and best performing car in your garage.

This analogy is weird, but I don't think it's quite a good one for your argument.

Ultimately, the question is whether the Lamborghini the most practical choice of vehicle?

Reactions: Tak7

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You’re free to discuss any of those other game topics, and stay out of the scrum topic like Matthews chose to stay out of the fight last night.
I did discuss other game topics. My first post in this thread was discussing how this was the Leaf's best game of the season, and Tavares looked incredible.

I am also free to do as Matthews did last night - push back when somebody is in the wrong, and engage an appropriate amount while avoiding being goaded into a pointless fight.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
You’re free to discuss any of those other game topics, and stay out of the scrum topic like Matthews chose to stay out of the fight last night.
But you need a scathing rebuttal of your comments to make sure to maintain join in our happy party.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I did discuss other game topics. My first post in this thread was discussing how this was the Leaf's best game of the season, and Tavares looked incredible.

I am also free to do as Matthews did last night - push back when somebody is in the wrong, and engage an appropriate amount while avoiding being goaded into a pointless fight.

You’d be a little more like Michael Bunting. Gloves flying off the first sign of trouble…

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Will be interesting to see what those pukes, Marchand and DeBrusk, do tomorrow night after seeing that video from Rupp.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I feel like this might have been one of the better games we've seen from out bottom 6 overall:

1667504188491.png

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Perhaps but it is 2022, Marchand will hear about it somehow. Kyper has Rupp on now. Have a listen.
Kyper and Rupp tell what's real in the mans world of the NHL. The never-played-street-hockey keyboard warriors don't have a clue and don't give a rats. Waste of time debating here.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Metroid and ToneDog

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kyper and Rupp tell what's real in the mans world of the NHL. The never-played-street-hockey keyboard warriors don't have a clue and don't give a rats. Waste of time debating here.

The irony is very strong here but if you think Kyper and Rupp don't have a bias say in this and you want to appeal to their authority, it sure is a waste of time.

• Haha
Reactions: kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kyper and Rupp!!! Clownshow shock jock "personalities"....

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I dunno, to me Matthews’ entire goal during that exchange was to be a prick, not fight physically although he did show Konecny that he could with that last shove. It’s not like Matthews doesn’t get involved and roughly grab guys during scrums. Against Winnipeg he had Dubois from behind when he went after Sandin. This particular situation didn’t call for it, but if that other Flyer had been rougher Matthews would’ve held him off with more gumption.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Gospel. Meanwhile FF to TSN 1050 radio/Overdrive and the host says, "If I am the Boston Bruuins and I see the video ....".

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The irony is very strong here but if you think Kyper and Rupp don't have a bias say in this and you want to appeal to their authority, it sure is a waste of time.

What about Hayes, Noodles and the woman on Overdrive who are discussing it at the moment ??

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I actually agree with Noodles' take on Matthews last night: While he doesn't want Auston fighting he wants a response. Last night, Matthews responded. If someone gives him a two-hander he gives it right back, and in most cases that's probably enough to let opposing players know that if they take a shot at him it's not going to go unanswered.

And after seeing the replay I like how after the scrum broke off he skated right back over to Konecny and gave him a big shove. A shove sounds like of lame but a younger Matthews I don't think would've even done that, just skated away.

Basically, as long as he responds in kind then no need to risk injury because an opposing player is being a pest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad