Confirmed with Link: John Klingberg (50%) for '25 4th rounder, Sustr, Nesterenko

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boldy is good in board battles. Not so good at defending in open ice. Talented, much stronger this year, but needs to keep working hard on his shot. Jhansson looks surprisingly good and fast. Hopefully he and Boldy can get some chemistry and start scoring.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There was for sure one play where he should have shot it and he basically just skated it to the corner.

I’m trying my best to give Boldy some leeway since he has a nice linemate that is adjusting. I just need him to be more proactive in shoot first situations. We had at least 2-3 chances last night that could have been high danger shots that resulted in no shot on goal because of a bad forced pass.

I can't tell if you're talking about Boldy or Zuccarello, who throws away scoring chances to make one more pass on a nightly basis.

Reactions: NHL1674 and TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There was for sure one play where he should have shot it and he basically just skated it to the corner.

I’m trying my best to give Boldy some leeway since he has a nice linemate that is adjusting. I just need him to be more proactive in shoot first situations. We had at least 2-3 chances last night that could have been high danger shots that resulted in no shot on goal because of a bad forced pass.
He was second on the team with 5 shots on goal, very good shots for the most part. Kap was first with 6.

Made several very good plays at both ends with great hand eye skills... if Zucc had half those skills, we'd have won in regulation, as Zucc had the one opportunity with the goaltender out of position, and it hopped his blade and he fanned on it.

Boldy was excellent all night. I can forgive 1 lone incident of not shooting when he should've when he was playing so well overall for the rest of the game.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Uh. What?!? You and I were watching very different games... :whaaa?:
I was there and 12 went to the point in 3rd I think, and glided by and flame D went in for a shot.
Maybe get in his way instead of gliding by.
Ek goes to the net to get a pass. 12 goes to the perimeter so need to pass through 3 defenders.

Hey I’m cheering for him but I’m having a hard time with his 7 million for glide by.

I can't tell if you're talking about Boldy or Zuccarello, who throws away scoring chances to make one more pass on a nightly basis.
Zucc had at least two grade A shots and passed to a covered cap.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyway, back to Klingberg.... he could be a real X factor going forward. If nothing else, he will be great injury insurance should Spurgeon or Dumba go down. He doesn't look like a guy who's legs are gone, at all.

I was there and 12 went to the point in 3rd I think, and glided by and flame D went in for a shot.
Ek goes to the net to get a pass. 12 goes to the perimeter so need to pass through 3 defenders.

Hey I’m cheering for him but I’m having a hard time with his 7 million for glide by.

Was there too, and agree. Like both Zucc and Boldy, but they have got to shoot more.

Reactions: 63firebird

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Boldy's shots were from in the slot and in the circle... that's why he had so many high danger chances... that's not hanging in the perimeter.

If he went to the boards on the play you're thinking of, it's because Ek tends to want to cycle more often than not. It's knowing your linemate tendencies. He saw where the defenders were and knows what Ek typically wants to do, so he expected a wrap around the boards.

Ek had that habit because that's what Foligno and Greenway did all the fricking time this year... just stay on the boards and never in the slot.

Boldy constantly gets in close.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I agree about Zucc. My last comment in that post was specifically about Zucc.
He was second on the team with 5 shots on goal, very good shots for the most part. Kap was first with 6.

Made several very good plays at both ends with great hand eye skills... if Zucc had half those skills, we'd have won in regulation, as Zucc had the one opportunity with the goaltender out of position, and it hopped his blade and he fanned on it.

Boldy was excellent all night. I can forgive 1 lone incident of not shooting when he should've when he was playing so well overall for the rest of the game.
I don’t think Boldy particularly stood out in any way. I thought Kaprizov was pretty bad too.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I agree about Zucc. My last comment in that post was specifically about Zucc.

I don’t think Boldy particularly stood out in any way. I thought Kaprizov was pretty bad too.

I didn't watch the game last night so I can't speak to any specific events there, I just know, in general, Zuccarello passing up shots is a much bigger problem than Boldy passing up shots. The only guy on this team that shoots more than Boldy is Kaprizov.

He has a bad shooting percentage this season, you'd like to see that rebound next year. But he's also creating opportunities every night, so it's hard to be that upset with him. And he's doing so creatively. I don't want him to be a dump and chase, go to the net, hope for bounces kind of player like Foligno or Parise, as examples.

Reactions: TaLoN

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I didn't watch the game last night so I can't speak to any specific events there, I just know, in general, Zuccarello passing up shots is a much bigger problem than Boldy passing up shots. The only guy on this team that shoots more than Boldy is Kaprizov.

He has a bad shooting percentage this season, you'd like to see that rebound next year. But he's also creating opportunities every night, so it's hard to be that upset with him. And he's doing so creatively. I don't want him to be a dump and chase, go to the net, hope for bounces kind of player like Foligno or Parise, as examples.
The scary part is I think Zucc has a better shot than Boldy, which makes it that much worse that Zucc doesn’t shoot as much as we want.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The scary part is I think Zucc has a better shot than Boldy, which makes it that much worse that Zucc doesn’t shoot as much as we want.

If that were actually true, maybe you'd want Boldy to shoot less and pass more.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
53.2% of the shots Boldy takes hit the net. That percentage is 52.4% for Kaprizov and 55.7% for Auston Matthews. And 50.8% for Alex Ovechkin.

I'm not seeing a massive issue here.

Reactions: AKL

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
53.2% of the shots Boldy takes hit the net. That percentage is 52.4% for Kaprizov and 55.7% for Auston Matthews. And 50.8% for Alex Ovechkin.

He had a bad month or so, but that was out of his norm, and I feel it was because he was playing on an island with only him creating anything. Clearly feeling pressure.

I mentioned last night how much it helped that line to have a second player worth trusting on zone entries, already opening things more, Boldy no longer needing to create by himself anymore, he's got to be feeling a slight ease in pressure, helping his shot accuracy get back to normal.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

You also don't get a shot credited to you unless it hits the net, so if he's second only to Kaprizov in shots, he must be hitting the net sometimes.

I don't think I've ever thought he'd be a regular 40 goal scorer. He's shooting 8.5% this year though, which is below where you'd like to see it. Shot 13.3% last year, however. Should still score 20 goals this year which isn't bad. Still averaging 3.1 shots per game (on net), which is up from 2.4 last season.

Guy's on the world's biggest cold streak. First two months of the season he was shooting 13.1% on 3 shots per game. Since then, 5.1% on 3.25 shots per game.

I'm also not seeing the massive issue here. He doesn't just forget how to shoot these last few months. His shot has never been an issue before. Maybe he's injured, maybe he's just incredibly snakebitten, either way, I'm not really worried about it at this point. Definitely not to the extent of singling him out amongst his peers who also can't score.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What source did you use? I’m interested in if it has a time frame function.
Hockey reference. They have a game log but it doesn't list shot attempts, just ones on goal.

I just added up the SOG since 1/12/23 which is 24 games and he's had 84 shots on goal, so ~3.5 per game.

If he was having a 25% hit-the-net rate during that time, or whatever % would lead you to think that he wasn't hitting that net at a problematic rate, that would mean he was getting 14 shot attempts per game during that time, which doesn't seem too realistic considering Kaprizov is averaging ~7.5 shot attempts per game for the season so far.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What source did you use? I’m interested in if it has a time frame function.

Stat trick, games, MN. Pick the game you want to see and do a full report. Individual event maps, player name.

Like the last game vs CGY, it shows the locations of Boldy: 3 TK, 1 GV, 5 shots, 4 misses and 1 hit taken. Hover over the spot and it'll give a little more info. I used the all situations display, but it can be filtered for other strengths.

It's not great but it's something.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think Boldy is just battling some bad puck luck. He's working hard and getting his shots. Eventually they will start going in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00