John Carlson's playoff performance

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He's not a good defender though. More of a Shattenkirk than a Pietrangelo.
I don't think Carlson is a premiere defenseman in the league but he is absolutely a #1D and SO far above Shattenkirk defensively.

I'm really not sure why people say he's not a good defender? I don't really pay attention to anything Sam Spade says and I don't think there are other Caps fans who agree with him. He was on the Caps shutdown pair for years. It just happens that 2 & 9 have better chemistry now.

I think if he was a little more mobile in the defensive zone he'd be seen as a top tier defensive defenseman. But he still has great awareness in the d-zone, physical and makes good plays with his stick to break up plays or cycling.

Reactions: third man in

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't think Carlson is a premiere defenseman in the league but he is absolutely a #1D and SO far above Shattenkirk defensively. I'm actually not sure why people say he's not a good defender? He was on the Caps shutdown pair for years. It just happens that 2 & 9 have better chemistry now.

Alzner was the shutdown guy, Carlson was the PMD. Carlson's advanced stats are pretty pedestrian, Shattenkirk actually drives possession a lot more than JC does. I see a lot of Carlson in Morgan Reilly.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Alzner was the shutdown guy, Carlson was the PMD. Carlson's advanced stats are pretty pedestrian, Shattenkirk actually drives possession a lot more than JC does. I see a lot of Carlson in Morgan Reilly.
Seeing a post like this a mere 12-16 hours after SCOTT STEVENS praises Carlson's defensive positioning on NHL Tonight really does wonders for the advanced stats argument.

Reactions: third man in

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Shattenkirk is awful defensively, I don't care what the advanced stats say about him. I've watched Carlson and Shattenkirk play with the same Caps uniform and there is no doubt in my mind Carlson is better all over the ice.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Shattenkirk is awful defensively, I don't care what the advanced stats say about him. I've watched Carlson and Shattenkirk play with the same Caps uniform and there is no doubt in my mind Carlson is better all over the ice.

Oh no doubt, Carlson is the better overall player but he is not miles above him and he is nowhere near the top guys in the league at playing defense. Unfortunately he is gonna get paid like one.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Carlson is not taking a 5 year deal. Whatever he gets will be for 7 or 8 years. I'm offering 8 x $7.8M if I'm GMBM.
Yeah, I have no problems at all with them giving Carlson between 7.5 and 8. He's good all around and usually steps up in the playoffs. All this shattenkirk nonsense around here is silly. He's much better than Shatty.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I like the guy, very solid defenseman. Think if Washington doesn't keep him he'll have a few suitors in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad