John Carlson's playoff performance

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He leads all defensemen in scoring in the playoffs this year with 9 points, and is the highest scoring D in the playoffs since 2014-2015 despite never going past the 2nd round. He is 8th in playoff scoring among Ds since his career began in 2009-2010, and all the guys ahead of him have reached the Stanley Cup Final at least once.

For all the difficulties the Caps have in the playoffs every year, Carlson has excelled in all but two of the Caps' playoff runs. It seems he does not have the reputation of being a big game player.

Reactions: jetsforever

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No one on Washington has a very positive playoff reputation.

Like the Blues and Sharks of old, no one really cares until they go deep, and they all end up tarred with the same brush.

It's unfair, but it is what it is.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He leads all defensemen in scoring in the playoffs this year with 9 points, and is the highest scoring D in the playoffs since 2014-2015 despite never going past the 2nd round. He is 8th in playoff scoring among Ds since his career began in 2009-2010, and all the guys ahead of him have reached the Stanley Cup Final at least once.

For all the difficulties the Caps have in the playoffs every year, Carlson has excelled in all but two of the Caps' playoff runs. It seems he does not have the reputation of being a big game player.

He's actually tied for first with Burns since 14-15 (but has one more goal, and 9 more games played). He may not have gone past the second round in that time, but he's tied for 10th in games played. Several guys ahead of him since 09-10 have roughly the same--or less--games played--yet are smoking him by 10 points or more.

Be deliberately misleading much?

Maybe he deserves more recognition (I may not have guessed him for scoring that many points at least since 09-10) but sugarcoating it isn't a good way to get it.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
As with the regular season, Carlson’s offensive numbers are a little misleading. He is not an elite defenseman. He does have a great shot and is a solid passer of the puck. Defensively he is good but not great. He has made some bonehead plays this offseason but he makes up for it also.

He is a top 15-20 defenseman in the league imo. People were mentioning him for the Norris trophy. No way.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's actually tied for first with Burns since 14-15 (but has one more goal, and 9 more games played). He may not have gone past the second round in that time, but he's tied for 10th in games played. Several guys ahead of him since 09-10 have roughly the same--or less--games played--yet are smoking him by 10 points or more.

Be deliberately misleading much?

Maybe he deserves more recognition (I may not have guessed him for scoring that many points at least since 09-10) but sugarcoating it isn't a good way to get it.

He is not tied with Burns, he is one point ahead, check again. I never implied he was the best playoff performer or that he was better than Burns, I'm just trying to draw attention to how good he has been.

The bolded line is the effect I was trying to get. You'll go to sleep knowing one more thing.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Does it matter if when have 8 pts in 5 games? He's usually one of the few Caps that plays better in the playoffs than the regular season. It's damn impressive.
Yea it matters. The people who think he should be a norris finalist because of his points must think where his points come from don't matter.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Was anyone watching the Leafs game tonight, 35 seconds left Babcock draws up the defensive zone play and Morgan Reilly goes to the bench and has a seat, that is John Carlson's playoff performance in a nutshell. ;)

You are not a true number one defensman if the above happens to you.

Last edited:

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Was anyone watching the Leafs game tonight, 35 seconds left Babcock draws up the defensive zone play and Morgan Reilly goes to the bench and has a seat, that is John Carlson's playoff performance in a nutshell. ;)

You are not a true number one defensman if the above happens to you.

No I didn't, good find though. Was this the same Reilly that found Bozak wide open, cross ice to make it 3-1?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
No I didn't, good find though. Was this the same Reilly that found Bozak wide open, cross ice to make it 3-1?

Same one. Great offensively for sure, but not so great, and not trusted, when the game is on the line. So if someone wants to pay Carlson 8 mil plus to play for them so be it, I just hope for the future of the franchise it isn't the Washington Capitals.

An 8 million dollar player should trusted to be on the ice in every situation.

Reactions: Dzonna

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Yea it matters. The people who think he should be a norris finalist because of his points must think where his points come from don't matter.

Defensemen are supposed to provide a considerable chunk of their points on the powerplay? Why is this considered a detraction when power play quarterbacks are a commodity every year?

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Totally agree.
Same one. Great offensively for sure, but not so great, and not trusted, when the game is on the line. So if someone wants to pay Carlson 8 mil plus to play for them so be it, I just hope for the future of the franchise it isn't the Washington Capitals.

An 8 million dollar player should trusted to be on the ice in every situation.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Power Play points are worth the same amount as ES points. I really don't get the argument against him/that calculus.

Although I suppose people are arguing that the PP would produce with anyone there, and Carlson isn't much of a value add over a replacement level Dman? I guess I could see that argument - I don't watch enough Caps games to confirm but he seems pretty good at getting his shot through.

He's not a good defender though. More of a Shattenkirk than a Pietrangelo.

Reactions: haveandare

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
do you not understand what per 60 minutes means? His average ice time is factored into this....

the Caps were middle of the pack in goal scoring this year also, by the way.
Yes I understand what per 60 means and any player that plays with ovi and backstrom and kuzy should have a high es points per 60.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad