Confirmed with Link: Johan Larsson (50% retained) to WSH for 2023 3rd round pick

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
both arizona and buffalo fans loves this guy. dont think you guys have to worry. he is a stocky gritty guy

paramo

Oct 15, 2020
My take on Johan is that he is a natural center. He is a possession monster, mainly due to a relentless and cunning competitiveness in board battles. Hard to knock off the puck and a very good cycler. He will never fold and get's under opponents skin (will drop the gloves occasionally). Likes to carry the puck through transition. Strong defensive awareness, plays the safe option first and is seldom out of position (don't use him as LW). Has a good shot which always comes as a surprise because it's so underutilized. Best used together with other cyclers and someone with a scoring knack who can feed off of his possession and ability to retrieve the puck. In Ari he was stapled to Kessel. In Buf there were none of this ability, thus the poor point totals despite that his line usually set camp in the offensive zone. Most noticeable when angry.

Could be a great 3C if the opportunity arises.

Last edited:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Havent really noticed Larsson before, he was the "fill up" guy on bad rosters when I watched teams at the capfriendly. But after seeing how both Sabres and Yotes fans appreciate him and his work ethic, I think I like this one. Too.

The depth was there already, sort of. Maybe they brought him here because they wanted to take a close look if he has the offensive upside to center the third line? He did have 0,5ppg this years (in 30GP) before getting injured.

Summer might get interesting, lots of 23' 1sts and 2nds have been moved and there might still be some big fish on the lake. Opening up cap space might get on the to-do-list if things start to unfold.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
If he can perform to his standards after the surgery this is a very nice trade. Good 3-4 line center with useful playoff traits.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
My take on Johan is that he is a natural center. He is a possession monster, mainly due to a relentless and cunning competitiveness in board battles. Hard to knock off the puck and a very good cycler. He will never fold and get's under opponents skin (will drop the gloves occasionally). Likes to carry the puck through transition. Strong defensive awareness, plays the safe option first and is seldom out of position (don't use him as LW). Has a good shot which always comes as a surprise because it's so underutilized. Best used together with other cyclers and someone with a scoring knack who can feed off of his possession and ability to retrieve the puck. In Ari he was stapled to Kessel. In Buf there were none of this ability, thus the poor point totals despite that his line usually set camp in the offensive zone. Most noticeable when angry.

Could be a great 3C if the opportunity arises.
He will be a winger for the Caps. He won't unseat any of the centers

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
On paper this seems good but the surgery worries me.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure he could. But, knowing Lavi I dont think he will change any of the center positions. I would like to see Larsson take Eller's spot and see what he can do...move Eller to wing on 3rd or 4th line
he’s not supplanting any healthy centers we have.….winger duty or injury fill in..

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
On paper this seems good but the surgery worries me.

I know right? How many guys have we seen never recover fully from that surgery? And if I recall, it took Crosby quite a while to get back to normal production. I feel like Larsson may be a disappointment early on.

Last edited:

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I know right? How many guys have we seen never recover fully from that surgery? And if I recall, it took Crosby quite a while to get back to normal production. I feel like Larsson may be a disappointment early on.
Just on the Caps, I think Green, Laich, Ward, and Alzner all had it, and of those four only Ward was the same player afterwards (and he had it in the offseason so he had plenty of time to rehab). The things Sabres and Coyotes fans are saying about him are really encouraging, but I think there’s a decent chance he’s not the same guy for the Caps. Here’s hoping the medical science on sports hernias has advanced a lot in the last few years.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Yeah, it's definitely concerning, but probably less so because he's been skating. I doubt they'd have made this move without at least that much assurance that he's okay.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Coyote fans love Larsson. They said he has strength and toughness..and can play mean if necessary. Has some puck skills. They hope the Coyotes sign him this summer.

Sabre fan coming in peace - same assessment and most of us have missed him since they let him walk not in small part to Krueger. In Housley years, they absolutely buried his line with d-zone starts and it didn't matter, they would work things up the ice and end in the o-zone. He's combative and smart and I wish him well in Washington.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sabre fan coming in peace - same assessment and most of us have missed him since they let him walk not in small part to Krueger. In Housley years, they absolutely buried his line with d-zone starts and it didn't matter, they would work things up the ice and end in the o-zone. He's combative and smart and I wish him well in Washington.
This pleases me. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Chainshot

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Get ready for the playoffs by bringing in a guy who's never been in the playoffs. Can't blame him for that obviously, given that he's been playing with Buffalo and the Yotes. And he may be a diamond in the rough. But it's still weird that a guy with no playoff experience coming off a sports hernia is worth even a 3rd.
He's tailormade for the playoffs. Dude forechecks like a mad man, has defensive chops, and plays a premium position (center). He's a smart and feisty little bastard who has seemed to found some offensive game (15pt in 29 games for Arizona). I always viewed him as an elite 4th liner, but he may be a pretty good 3rd liner.

I'm a Sabres fan, btw, and Larsson centered a couple of our really good shutdown lines even though we sucked ass as a team.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's tailormade for the playoffs. Dude forechecks like a mad man, has defensive chops, and plays a premium position (center). He's a smart and feisty little bastard who has seemed to found some offensive game (15pt in 29 games for Arizona). I always viewed him as an elite 4th liner, but he may be a pretty good 3rd liner.

I'm a Sabres fan, btw, and Larsson centered a couple of our really good shutdown lines even though we sucked ass as a team.
We need more feisty little bastard in our game so I’m sold. I am getting ahead of myself but if he shows something this postseason I think he gets an extension.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He is a better Hagelin, and I'm okay with that.
He’s different than Hagelin. Hags has more speed and is likely a better PKer but Larsson is certainly better in the offensive zone. Larsson is better along the boards and with the puck on his stick but I’m not sure I’ve actually seen him shoot the puck yet.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Seems solid but slow. Need to see if it's just rust from the surgery.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Another trade deadline pick up that is out of the NHL within months of trading for him. Not a good look GMBM

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Another trade deadline pick up that is out of the NHL within months of trading for him. Not a good look GMBM
Not really sure what happened behind the scenes in PIT, but I don't think he was forced out because he was not an NHL player. Heard he wanted more than one year and lost the musical chair game of FA. 3 years in Sweden probably made more sense from a family and quality of life perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00