Johan Franzen

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
x2. And in reality him "sitting and collecting a paycheck" is much more on Holland. He's the one that handed a guy that had already missed time with two concussions and two knee injuries a contract that runs until after he turns 40....

A contract that, at the time, was perfectly legal and wouldn't be an issue if the NHL hadn't decided to change the rules to screw over a bunch of teams, including the Blackhawks with regards to Hossa's contract.

Let's stop trying to turn every thread into "Holland sucks."

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
A contract that, at the time, was perfectly legal and wouldn't be an issue if the NHL hadn't decided to change the rules to screw over a bunch of teams, including the Blackhawks with regards to Hossa's contract.

Let's stop trying to turn every thread into "Holland sucks."

And I agree wholeheartedly. I was more or less defending against what smelled like more rampant Franzen hate. :cheers:

Some of that has to fall on Holland though...:laugh:

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
If Franzen goes into LTIR, does holland sign a 3rd/2nd line winger? If wings are gonna fit in pulky it might be hard to fit someone else aswell tbh, especially if Jurco is kept aswell. But a big winger would be very welcome tbh. And i would be very suprised if no move is made, jurco still has great trade value and should be traded imo. His upside is great but won't reach his potential in wings, too deep on wingers.

Chris Stewart is very tempting imo, 0.5 PPG winger at 220 lb. Players like stewart are x-factors in deep play-off runs and he can protect the kids that are still trying to find their ways in this league. And he has shown that he can be much more than just a hard hitting winger. But he won't be cheap, so Franzen needs to go LTIR and weiss need to bought out or dealt in a trade.

Could see Jurco/weiss/smith being part of a phaenuf trade.

Abby-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Dats-helm
Stewart-Sheahan-Pulky
Star wars line

Now that's forward depth! And if Phanuef comes to detroit aswell then there surley are guys to keep the kids safe, a much grittier team and much tougher to play against.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Please no more Franzen vs Hossa.
I just want to point out that after 2 playoff rounds Hossa has only one goal and it was an EN. Hossa struggles to score in playoffs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If Franzen goes into LTIR, does holland sign a 3rd/2nd line winger? If wings are gonna fit in pulky it might be hard to fit someone else aswell tbh, especially if Jurco is kept aswell. But a big winger would be very welcome tbh. And i would be very suprised if no move is made, jurco still has great trade value and should be traded imo. His upside is great but won't reach his potential in wings, too deep on wingers.

Chris Stewart is very tempting imo, 0.5 PPG winger at 220 lb. Players like stewart are x-factors in deep play-off runs and he can protect the kids that are still trying to find their ways in this league. And he has shown that he can be much more than just a hard hitting winger. But he won't be cheap, so Franzen needs to go LTIR and weiss need to bought out or dealt in a trade.

Could see Jurco/weiss/smith being part of a phaenuf trade.

Abby-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Dats-helm
Stewart-Sheahan-Pulky
Star wars line

Now that's forward depth! And if Phanuef comes to detroit aswell then there surley are guys to keep the kids safe, a much grittier team and much tougher to play against.

I'm sure Holland will try to sign Cole but if Cole is smart he'll retire. Beyond that I don't see Holland doing much of anything. So odds are good Jurco will be in that spot where you have Stewart.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Please no more Franzen vs Hossa.
I just want to point out that after 2 playoff rounds Hossa has only one goal and it was an EN. Hossa struggles to score in playoffs.

:laugh: Please no more about Mule v. Hossa but hey lemme get in one last dig about Hossa. Hossa has been 0.73 PPG or above over the past three playoffs.

Mule: 0.0, 0.4, 0.43

Hossa is the better player and Mule will probably never play again. If he does play again he will be a mere shell of what he once was. Meanwhile Hossa is piling up points playoff after playoff after playoff.

It's over and I can live with how everything has played out but when you take shots at Hossa it just looks really, really weak.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
For the billionth time, it wasn't even about one or the other. Holland didn't sign Franzen in April expecting to move on from Hossa. He just didn't do enough to keep him.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Hopefully he recovers ASAP, but decides to do the Wings a favor and LTIRetires.

I really wish Hossa was still playing for the Wings.

3821966-5738039092-Denze.gif

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If Franzen could recover fully and never have another concussion (unlikely) - that would be massive for the Wings. But he should retire for health reasons, and I generally hate saying stuff like that as I feel people are always too skeptical about players coming back from injury or what have you.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last thing Franzen should do, is retire, because we'll get a salary cap penalty of that.

Keep him in the books for next 5 years, use LTIR space and that's it.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Last thing Franzen should do, is retire, because we'll get a salary cap penalty of that.

Keep him in the books for next 5 years, use LTIR space and that's it.

He won't retire, he has no incentive to. He'll end up walking away from millions if he does. Many thought we'd have to do something shady to get him on LTIR, but this is actually a legitimate case at this point. I'll be sad to see him go, but he has to consider his quality of life from here on out. And let's face it, his effectiveness has waned over the years.

The cap situation at the beginning of the season may be a little dicey for the next few years, but I'm fairly certain we won't have to resort to paying him a cap recapture penalty.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hopefully he recovers ASAP, but decides to do the Wings a favor and LTIRetires.

I really wish Hossa was still playing for the Wings.

3821966-5738039092-Denze.gif

If he can play in the playoffs or the Regular season then hes doing a favor for the wings by getting half the points in half the games type of thing 2nd/3rd liner

I mean hes better then Andersson >.< we can do without Andersson his defensive play is "ok"

Unless cap space stops young players/a top 2 dman coming here, then yeah he needs to be LTIR for the wings benefit

Mr Lemonoue

Apr 12, 2015
I don't think he is retiring , least don't hope so. Last thing i heard about him he was traveling with the team again and did skate with the team sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00