Sep 8, 2008
He's so fragile though

Only in the head area.

Bubblewrap-matt-le-blanc-31144473-400-300.jpg

Problem solved.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Doesn't the player's age when he signed the contract come into play here?

If the player was older than 35 when he signed the contract, then the club has to retain the entire cap hit. I'm not sure how much of the cap hit is retained(if any) if the player is younger than 35.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

If the player was older than 35 when he signed the contract, then the club has to retain the entire cap hit. I'm not sure how much of the cap hit is retained(if any) if the player is younger than 35.

That is a separate issue that doesn't apply here. Cap recapture has nothing to do with the age of the player when he signed his contract.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

Mules age doesn't matter, but the length of his contract does since it was front loaded. If he retires before his contract is up the Wings will get a cap penalty. The cap hit depends on the year he quits.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
That is a separate issue that doesn't apply here. Cap recapture has nothing to do with the age of the player when he signed his contract.
Oh, ok. I stand corrected. I hadn't read up on the new cba. I believe this was different in the old one.

Anyway, he'll probably just be on LTIR for the rest of his contract.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

"I just feel really bad for him," Jonathan Ericsson said. "He hasn't been able to do anything without getting symptoms back. It's good to see him here again. I don't know that much about his progress. I know he's been up and down. I know he's not close to playing right now.

"I'm kind of hoping he's going to take the rest of the year off just because of how it's been right now. I'm more concerned about his future than playing hockey right now and getting it worse. He has a life after hockey as well, so he has to take care of that."

Interesting stuff, I know a lot of us have said something similar.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Maybe we can trade a broken Franzen to TML for Phaneuf. Throw in Kindl/Smith. Franzen will likely return and if not, they got to dump that ridiculous contract. Hell, give them Weiss too.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
On 97.1 the ticket earlier today they kind of eluded to what we have all been saying that he's probably done for good. Sucks that he's having to go through it (I've been there before and it sucks and took a long time to get back to "normal"). Even worse that he's missing out on time with his kids. Hope he makes a recovery and can live as normal as possible.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Get well Mule and do the right thing for your family and future. When he was on a hot streak, there weren't many better goal scorers in the modern day.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just call it quits. Not worth it to have health problems after all.

Retiring is the worst option of everything because of salary cap rules would cause a cap penalty in Franzen case.

Best solution is to keep Mule on the books, but never ice him again. And let that contract die that way. We can use LTIR space to bolster the roster against the cap better, than with a recapture penalty if he officially retires.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Retiring is the worst option of everything because of salary cap rules would cause a cap penalty in Franzen case.

Best solution is to keep Mule on the books, but never ice him again. And let that contract die that way. We can use LTIR space to bolster the roster against the cap better, than with a recapture penalty if he officially retires.

Did I say retire? I said call it quits. Doesn't have to make it official. Just talk to Holland and say he can't play anymore so LTIR.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Franzen isn't going to retire and leave money on the table. He'll be happy collecting a paycheck the next 5 years doing nothing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He won't retire, we don't need to be worried about that particular angle in my opinon.

Good news for Franzen too is they can probably set him up with a job doing something, what with the terrible precedent the league has set in terms of Pronger. I never got the feeling he was going directly back to Sweden anyway, in terms of a lot of his interviews.

If he wants to play hockey again I wish him luck, but I will hold my breathe while he does it. I have always been a big fan of Mule, I just hope whatever he decides he has his long-term health. I don't think he has actually really thought that hard about the retirement angle or the pseudo-retirement, he talks about the kid part but also states he keeps waiting for the day he will wake up and it will go away and thinks if they made a deep run and his symptoms did go away in the next couple weeks he might be able to make it work. Doesn't seem at all like a guy willing to give it up right now.

I did think it was telling a while back that Ericsson said he hoped he would sit out the rest of the year... The guys know how bad this is, I am curious if some of his teammates will tell him to hang it up. You rarely see somebody as forthcoming as Ericsson was when talking about Mule a little over a month ago. There is obvious concern for him in that dressing room in terms of what his future holds and it goes well beyond hockey.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What are we doing with Franzen? just gonna sit back and let him collect a paycheck? or buy him out?

You can't use a buy out on a player that is injured, unless the player agrees to it, which I doubt Franzen would do with five years on the table. Plus the Wings end up with 2/3rd's of his salary against the cap for the next ten years.

He could "officially retire", but the team would have to deal with the "cap recapture" penalty which would be similar to the buyout, but only for the duration of the contract.

The best option would be for him to "unofficially retire", so that the Red Wings can put him on LTIR for the next 5 seasons. Philly, Boston, Tampa and Columbus/Toronto have been doing something similar with Pronger, Savard, Ohlund and Horton. His cap hit will still go against the Wings and he'll take up a contract on their 50 man reserve, but they can occupy his cap space as soon as he gets put on LTIR at the beginning of each season rather than face penalties.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He's going to get a paycheck no matter what we do.

x2. And in reality him "sitting and collecting a paycheck" is much more on Holland. He's the one that handed a guy that had already missed time with two concussions and two knee injuries a contract that runs until after he turns 40....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad