Confirmed with Link: Joey Daccord signed 3 years ( 1 way in year 3)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You guys do know that Seattle only need two goalies ?

I doubt they pick unproven goalies and if they do there are probably better options out there

I mean I’m taking players like halak , varlamov , georgiv korpisalo maybe holtby ? That’s just off the top of my head

Reactions: aragorn

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
strange place to pick a bone with a signing imo
I just don't like these "little mistakes" that Dorion is often guilty of. It's like when we rushed to sign Andy to an above average contract when there was no pressure to do so. Or when we traded Hoff only to see him get flipped for a better return.

Unless, as another speculated, it's insurance against Seattle taking him. In that case I'm surprised Melnyk was willing to shell out for it, but it's more excusable.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You guys do know that Seattle only need two goalies ?

I doubt they pick unproven goalies and if they do there are probably better options out there

I mean I’m taking players like halak , varlamov , georgiv korpisalo maybe holtby ? That’s just off the top of my head

They have to pick a player from every team, so 29 players (VGK are exempt). Vegas picked 3 goalies, I expect Seattle to do the same. They won't be taking more than one goalie earning a starters pay, so expect young backups with starter upside. I think we might be ok because Daccord won't have proven enough, and we'll have some other enticing options, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they took a goalie from us.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A 1 year 1 way deal at basically minimum NHL salary is not even a little potential mistake for a NHL team. Worst case scenario is that player ends up making great money to play in the AHL for 1 season (800 K instead of 300 K?)

Of course, you don't do that with a player you have no faith in. Senators have been following Daccord's progression a lot closer than us. They obviously have some faith in him to believe he has a great chance to be worth that money in 3 years. It's a mark of confidence and incentive to drive the young player to success. Daccord is not going to sit on his laurels because of that, He will want to prove that he is NHL caliber well before that.

The plan is obviously to have him as the back-up in Ottawa by year 3, or worse case scenario, starter in Belleville. If anything, it puts pressure on Hogberg if he wants to stay with Ottawa. He'll have to beat Daccord who is already breathing down his neck.

The risk is so small, even for a Melnyk's owned team, that they were ready to take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guess we'll see in 3 years how this pans out.

EDIT:. Wait? How is it "unbelievable" to question the logic of giving a prospect goalie with zero nhl games a one-year deal three years from now? Thats a bit rich, man.
Being upset about that is ridiculous its in 3 years and its 800 K, he will be 27 do you think he would have signed if they didnt do that? He was in a unique contract situation you should probably look into. He has played NHL games.

Reactions: Smeddy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I like the signing a lot but I am very high on this kid.

We need to roll the dice every now and again with our budget which is why we see some contracts offered that they may not if we had higher revenue.

The seems like a shrew move though.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Daccord, a 7th round pick, is another example of why it's far smarter to wait until the latter hours of day 2 before taking a goalie.

We've spent a 2nd and two 3rds to add Sogaard and Merilainen to the organization the past two drafts. Would have been far smarter to hold off an take some goalies with our late round picks when it's very rare for player selections to pan out.

We actually spent less draft capital to add Murray and Daccord than those two guys :laugh:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Daccord, a 7th round pick, is another example of why it's far smarter to wait until the latter hours of day 2 before taking a goalie.

We've spent a 2nd and two 3rds to add Sogaard and Merilainen to the organization the past two drafts. Would have been far smarter to hold off an take some goalies with our late round picks when it's very rare for player selections to pan out.

We actually spent less draft capital to add Murray and Daccord than those two guys :laugh:

I don't know. I think it's more important that you add a goaltender with qualities you covet rather than just any goaltender in the 6th or 7th round.

Reactions: Sen sational

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't know. I think it's more important that you add a goaltender with qualities you covet rather than just any goaltender in the 6th or 7th round.

I guess it remains to be seen whether you actually end up with better goaltender prospects in the end.

I really do think goalies are a crap shoot for the most part. I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I guess it remains to be seen whether you actually end up with better goaltender prospects in the end.

I really do think goalies are a crap shoot for the most part. I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

Oh I agree they are a crap shoot but team's aren't taking shots in the dark here in the 6th and 7th round. They are goaltenders that the teams believe have a shot of becoming something. There are different philosophies and teams have different strategies but no team is taking a goaltender just for the shake of taking a goaltender.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There are different philosophies and teams have different strategies but no team is taking a goaltender just for the shake of taking a goaltender.

Well, I remember hearing something interesting during the draft coverage (it may have been Mann) who said that they planned on taking a goalie in every draft from now on.

I remember thinking it was a bit odd because how many goalies can you have in your system, but I guess with European goalies it's more flexible.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

No one knows with goalies. They bust the most frequently any position in the first couple rounds, but offer the best risk/reward trade-off in the later rounds.

If I were running the Sens draft I'd significantly discount goalies in the first 2-3 rounds but spend at least 1 pick from rounds 4-7 on a goalie every year.

Reactions: NyQuil

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well, I remember hearing something interesting during the draft coverage (it may have been Mann) who said that they planned on taking a goalie in every draft from now on.

I remember thinking it was a bit odd because how many goalies can you have in your system, but I guess with European goalies it's more flexible.

He did, he also said there wasn't a lot of goaltenders they liked in this draft and thats why they took Merilainen where they did. After 71, they didn't pick until 155.

starts around 8:40

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No one knows with goalies. They bust the most frequently any position in the first couple rounds, but offer the best risk/reward trade-off in the later rounds.

If I were running the Sens draft I'd significantly discount goalies in the first 2-3 rounds but spend at least 1 pick from rounds 4-7 on a goalie every year.

Sure you never know but I don't agree with taking someone you don't believe in.

Reactions: Sen sational

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Being upset about that is ridiculous its in 3 years and its 800 K, he will be 27 do you think he would have signed if they didnt do that? He was in a unique contract situation you should probably look into. He has played NHL games.

People freak out here all the time over sub $1M overpayments on players. This is a gamble on a goalie prospect three years from now. His numbers are good but nothing that screams surefire NHL goaltender. (Go backwards in the AHL stats a few years and look at guys with similar stats then and where they are now). Imagine that 800k turns into the difference between signing Tkatchuk or losing him three years from now.

If Joey pans out I'll eat crow, but i think it's more likely the team eats that $800k. I don't mind gambling on Joey, I just don't think it was 100% necessary to get him to sign.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
People freak out here all the time over sub $1M overpayments on players. This is a gamble on a goalie prospect three years from now. His numbers are good but nothing that screams surefire NHL goaltender. (Go backwards in the AHL stats a few years and look at guys with similar stats then and where they are now). Imagine that 800k turns into the difference between signing Tkatchuk or losing him three years from now.

If Joey pans out I'll eat crow, but i think it's more likely the team eats that $800k. I don't mind gambling on Joey, I just don't think it was 100% necessary to get him to sign.

Daccord is pretty much a guaranteed backup goaltender. We don't know where he will land though.

You may or may not be familiar with the Daccord family. Joey's dad is a leader in the goaltending community.

Do you really think 800k is going to get in the way of signing Tkachuk? Feels like alarmism.

Reactions: bert

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Daccord is pretty much a guaranteed backup goaltender. We don't know where he will land though.

You may or may not be familiar with the Daccord family. Joey's dad is a leader in the goaltending community.

Do you really think 800k is going to get in the way of signing Tkachuk? Feels like alarmism.
Just the principle. If this $800k was the difference between signing joey to term or possibly losing him, okay pay it. I just don't think it was.

And I do think these little overpayments add up for a budget team. Could be the difference between acquiring a $3m or a $4m UFA player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad